HD Pre-rendered Daggerfall Sprites

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: HD Pre-rendered Daggerfall Sprites

Post by King of Worms »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm Well, it's the King of Worms we're talking about here. "Revolting" is likely a high compliment :lol:
This! And what others said! Its revolting, lets not play games around it! Love the last picture, and the distortion effects on it make it look less plastic and even MORE revolting!!! :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Revolting -> Revolt -> Revolutionary? Is that the word you wanted? :)

Yeah, that's a weird part of English, there. I think it's descended from "my stomach is revolting at the sight of that"; meaning that whatever you're looking at makes you want to vomit. From there, it got shorted down to "that's revolting" and then "revolting".

"Revolutionary", I think, comes from advertisers using the word to describe new products - "A revolutionary advancement in dish soap!" Meaning their new product overthrows (what happens to the old rulers at the end of a revolution) any need for those old products made by other companies.

And as far as I am aware, that's how two words with the same base meaning, came to mean two different things in the same context. :)

That being said, I don't know if it's revolting enough for me. :) I might play with this or the sprites, depending on how I feel when I start a new character. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

After some messing around I might just have to get on this.

Test03.png
Test03.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2841 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Man, I'm really digging your aesthetic!

I'm in the process of learning Blender and am working on the Light Thief at the moment trying to stay very true to the original 3D models used to generate the original sprites like you are. Perhaps we can collaborate at some point.

In the meantime, keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more of your renders.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very interesting! So these are sprites generated from a 3d models? Or these are 3d models themselves, in their true revolting beauty? I like them
Bah, now I know, they are sprites... Im slow, sry

EDIT: Narf, I have really no idea what I ment with that... maybe that its revolting (damn!)
Yes, revolutionary app-roach might be the thing :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm Very interesting! So these are sprites generated from a 3d models? Or these are 3d models themselves, in their true revolting beauty? I like them
Bah, now I know, they are sprites... Im slow, sry

EDIT: Narf, I have really no idea what I ment with that... maybe that its revolting (damn!)
Yes, revolutionary app-roach might be the thing :)
Pre-rendered just like classic fallout. Obviously in better resolution.

EDIT: Oil painting effect added after.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I think I'll officially start work work on this. I really like the results so far. This is how they look in game. I think they look great so, after the next Warm Ashes version is out I'll focus my work on this.
Example.png
Example.png (557.2 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Example 2.png
Example 2.png (532.99 KiB) Viewed 2678 times

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

They do look awesome!

Does the fact that they come from preloaded models make you able to show them in more angles in game for extra realism, or is this a limitation of the engine regardless of the sprites that are used?

From your photos it looks like the former but it sounds too good to be true so I don't want to have false expectations.

pango

Post by pango »

I assume test above shows the 5 possible orientations of a sprite (others using an additional vertical flipping).
By the way, adding more orientations will increase the (video) memory usage, I don't know if that could become an issue nowadays, but that's the reason behind coarse animations in the original game.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

By the way, adding more orientations will increase the (video) memory usage, I don't know if that could become an issue nowadays, but that's the reason behind coarse animations in the original game.
It really depends on the resolution of those sprites. However, without texture compression we'd hit the limit at some point even nowadays. Do not forget that uncompressed textures are just bitmaps... i.e. 32 bit per pixel. You can't do texture re-use as you would with 3d models. It would also depend on how daggerfall unity manages its video memory... Are all sprites just constantly loaded, or does it do smart loading and unloading to conserve resources (which wouldn't really be necessary with the original sprites)?

Finally, I'm almost certain it would require code support. There's some switch in there that chooses the correct sprite row depending on camera position and character orientation, that would need to be updated.