HD Pre-rendered Daggerfall Sprites

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Kamer

Re: HD Pre-rendered Daggerfall Sprites

Post by Kamer »

The goal I want for this project is to recreate the original Daggerfall models used to make the prerenderd sprites that we know and love.To do this I'm following as close as possible to the original sprites to do this. Not just recreating a single character but instead recreating every little piece from them. Money bags, pouches, armor pieces, weapons, hood, everything. That way we can have all the character assets to make as many character variations as possible. When one day it would be implemented officially or in mod form, to maybe even have different variants of villagers and mobs to be selected and give major variety in daggerfall with different looks, color, equipment and races.

At the current moment, I'm trying to recreate the base male from Daggerfall (The Golem is just a retextured man so I'll begin with that). Once that is done, I will have the base for all male characters, Golems, and half for the Centaur. This is NOT to added anymore detail which isn't there. I want to be as faithful as possible and to give it the old look of what the sprites could have looked like in higher resolution. Here are some examples below.

Spoiler!
Sword Example.png
Sword Example.png (63.13 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
sTAFF eXAMPLE.png
sTAFF eXAMPLE.png (138.38 KiB) Viewed 4254 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Excellent start, and a great mission statement!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

It's far from finished but I think I'm getting somewhere. I might take a break so here is what could be. It's using placeholder items like the helmet, bracers are missing, and boots are just recolored feet so its just here for preview.) The head has already been redone. Feel free to critique. Like I said, it's far from finished but extra criticism is welcome.
Spoiler!
Using screenshots from King of Worm's KoW
Concept02.png
Concept02.png (487.87 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Concept01.png
Concept01.png (418.9 KiB) Viewed 4159 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Very well done! The proportions and overall body shape look very true to the source artwork!

I look forward to seeing this progress! Do you mind posting a side-by-side comparison with the sprite? It might make critique a little easier.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I'm aware of different shapes of muscles and missing definition in areas. THe body isn't rigged yet so poses can't be done right now but if you see anything else that might be missing let me know.

EDIT: If his arms look a bit to far stretched out, thats because it is. The golem is a reskin of a default male body but its limbs are bit more extruded from what i noticed doing this image. Fixing that makes it look 100x better.

Spoiler!
Example_2.png
Example_2.png (223.8 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
Accidentally resized the abs in this render
Example_1.png
Example_1.png (487.04 KiB) Viewed 4127 times

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Ahh yes, the let's make Daggerfall lag again section...

Come on guys do some crazy stuff....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

My focus is prerenders first and foremost. Shouldn't make Daggerfall lag more than KoW.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My dream is of renders that match the equipment they are carrying and vice versa. Archers should always have bows and arrows. Pre-render these things like the paper dolls. Maybe the guy only has an iron long sword, boots and a helmet but that's not how I would bet.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Kamer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm My focus is prerenders first and foremost. Shouldn't make Daggerfall lag more than KoW.
Yeah I was trying to be enthusiastic but I guess it doesn't always work out that way when you're typing it...

When I first looked at these they looked 3D, they still look 3D, so I don't know I guess I'm having trouble imagining these things are Sprites because they look so pretty, hence the lag comment..

But in hindsight Daggerfall was always lagging like hell for me and that didn't stop me from playing, so for future reference when I talk about lag in Daggerfall it's not necessarily A derogatory thing.
I don't mind it at all, and I actually support the process, hence the crazy stuff part...

Yeah man, make Daggerfall lagg again, it's the right thing to do..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Flesh Golem walk test:

Spoiler!
Flesh_Golem.gif
Flesh_Golem.gif (636.12 KiB) Viewed 3911 times

In Game Test:
Attachments
Fleshgolemingame.png
Fleshgolemingame.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3872 times