HD first person weapon textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: HD first person weapon textures

Post by King of Worms »

XJDHDR wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 am
King of Worms wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 pm I have corrected all the errors from the latest version of this mod. Converted it to 32 bit. Reduced the resolution to 50%. Changed the canvas size so it can be divided by 4 so now the compression is working. Ive added my staffs, bows, horse animations, casting hand animations, werewolf hands, created 2 missing variants of the swords and Im in the process of creating the magical versions of all the weapons.
Thanks! Would you be willing to create an version without reduced resolution too?
No
EDIT: some of the images were up to 3200x2000 resolution, thats good for production but makes no sense in this game. I make my mods in a way they are optimized, so I aim for the best visuals/requirements ratio, as it should be - I dont want to choke ppl HW to force them to upgrade like "AAA" games tend to do. I reduced the requirements 10x (!!) and the visuals are 95% (realisticaly its 105% because 64bit caused some issues with edges) I consider that a sort of achievement - so I will not change anything about that. Also, more vesions, more problems, and I dont need that

thisiscooked

Post by thisiscooked »

I am very interested to see where this mod will go, but i'm not interested in downloading it until it receives a fluid frame rate. I think the easiest way to give it higher frame rates would be to create a model of each weapon in another program, then take photos of it in various positions. Just my 2 cents on the issue

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

thisiscooked wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am I am very interested to see where this mod will go, but i'm not interested in downloading it until it receives a fluid frame rate. I think the easiest way to give it higher frame rates would be to create a model of each weapon in another program, then take photos of it in various positions. Just my 2 cents on the issue
Thats how this mod was created, Megaten created models and than created shots in different positions. I did the optimalization pass, created magic auras for magic weapons, and corrected bugs in naming and weapon positions.

I will release it with a new version of DREAM, but Im not sure when that will be exactly.

But Id like ppl to be able to play it during the winter nights :) Plus Im leaving fon the 11th month of this year so Id like to release it before that

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

thisiscooked wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am i'm not interested in downloading it until it receives a fluid frame rate.
That might never happen.

I'm not saying it's impossible: but I think swing-speed and attack-frames are linked: If you add more, the animation won't have time to play at higher attack speeds.

I could be wrong though.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am
thisiscooked wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am i'm not interested in downloading it until it receives a fluid frame rate.
That might never happen.

I'm not saying it's impossible: but I think swing-speed and attack-frames are linked: If you add more, the animation won't have time to play at higher attack speeds.

I could be wrong though.
Oh so fluid framerate he means more weapon frames.... thats not happening. It makes no sense. More sensible approach is changing the sprites to actual models. Its already 12 000 frames... good luck finding someone who will spend months on this to create another 10000s of files. I remember one person spoke about it, like he will do it, so I told him the amount of frames to process and it made him angry towards me. Than he was like "you will see" and since than he never returned. Maybe he is still working on it, most likely he is not...

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

King of Worms is correct. The amount of work to create the frames, you might as well just dump it into creating the 3d model sets and animations. The only way we may get anything looking like fluid 60fps weapon animations, other than a 3d modeller gifting us with predone models and animations, is using frame offsetting between each individual 5 frames. The render engine runs a frame update loop and pulls each individual animation with its offset and predefined alignment position. After each frame, the update loop waits a set time interval based on a number of factors, and then runs a new frame update again. And it continues for each of the 5 animation frames.

We should be able to theoretically put in some form of frame offsetting between each frame update loop . This would be the quickest shortcut to double the frame rate with some coding trickery. However, you would need to manually code each frame offset for each animation; however, once the offset is found, you can do a basic predictive loop by using the animations preset animation time, divide it by 2 (we are doubling the frames), and then add it to the current animation time to get the mid frame animation time for the offset execution.

So: animation frame renders and begins timed wait attack speed period -> second offset frame executes exactly halfway through the attack speed wait -> second animation frame renders and begins wait attack speed period -> 2nd offset frame executes.

Anyways, I started looking into and working on this a little last night. I know it can be done, but it is going to take me some time to figure out how to properly insert the offset frames in the middle of the default animations. It is super easy offsetting the whole animation, since it is treated as a single rect object. However, grabbing and offsetting each individual frame as the animation loop is running is going to be harder to sort out because of animation update/timing issues and retrieving proper frame indexes. :lol:

If you want to see a basic first pass at using offset to create the illusion of smooth animations, you can see how I use frame offsetting to create the illusion of a smooth weapon movement bob in the below posts. Go to the video area and it's the first one.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2533
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

thisiscooked

Post by thisiscooked »

Anyways, I started looking into and working on this a little last night. I know it can be done, but it is going to take me some time to figure out how to properly insert the offset frames in the middle of the default animations. It is super easy offsetting the whole animation, since it is treated as a single rect object. However, grabbing and offsetting each individual frame as the animation loop is running is going to be harder to sort out because of animation update/timing issues and retrieving proper frame indexes.
That's brilliant! I think such a modification will be used by many. I will eagerly await any updates. Good luck to you.
Would this be compatible with the HD first person weapon textures mod?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very interesting input and progress on your project l3lessed!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I figured out how to use basic frame offsetting to up the look of the animations by a factor of 12.

so, if I understand the math right, 12 offset frames for each 5 animation frames. This gives us 12 * 5 for 60fps weapon animations.

There is some slight frame stepping, which I intentionally show off with some attack animations. This is just a technical showcase, thrown together with random number guesses. It needs more debugging for each attack animation type, but that should be easy.

Coding wise, I figured out, I can hijack the animation update coroutine. I add a if then switch to detect if the weapon is idle or not. if it is attacking, it takes the animation time and divides it by 12. It then sets up 12 coroutine waits, and after each one, it moves the animation offset by a small amount, waits, moves it a small amount, waits, moves it, and does this 12 times until the attack time is over and it updates a whole new frame.

At this point, I'm going to stop work on new features for combat overhaul. I'm going to move to refining the current features, getting all the raycasting aligned with the animations, and try and smooth the attack and recoil animations further. Once all the current features are polished, I'll move them into the latest build, throw up a first release and github, and then move to looking into turning this into a full fledged mod. However, the frame animation stuff I'm doing, I'm unsure if it can be done outside the fpsweapon script.

Don't think I'm going to use smoothdamp function now that I have offset working smoothly.
(I have one last idea to get animations that are even smoother than this coding work around. Unity has a vector smoothdamp function that allows you to move an object over a set amount of time and distance without having to do frame by frame offsetting. My newest idea is to grab the rect object position for the previous current from and the next frame and then use the smoothdamp function to move the object over the animation wait interval time.)

https://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentat ... hDamp.html
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

wow, this is really impressive!