AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms »

Top results on the tabs!
VMBlast has those icons now, so maybe he will redraw them some day, that would be perfect.
Thanks a lot Masonface, I like this style!

Some examples of the filled tabs:
Spoiler!
ITEM00I0.IMG.png
ITEM00I0.IMG.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2745 times
BUTN02I0.IMG.png
BUTN02I0.IMG.png (892.55 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
BANK00I0.IMG.png
BANK00I0.IMG.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2745 times

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Thanks VMBlast. I made some artistic decisions on how to interpret the shape of the fonts. For instance if you have one pixel above and to the right of another do you interpret that as a straight line or a curve? In the giving credit dept. I based my font largely off of a direct copy of the pixel font converted to a TT font Here.

On a completely different topic for those of you who are more familiar with Unity I am curious why not use opentype fonts directly as
this page seems to indicate you can. I always imagined that the GUI would be renderer in game allowing mods and other things to change how the GUI operated. Rather that creating pre-rendered graphics.

Also, wouldn't it be super if the button you clicked actually was animated to move?
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I always imagined that the GUI would be renderer in game allowing mods and other things to change how the GUI operated. Rather that creating pre-rendered graphics.

Also, wouldn't it be super if the button you clicked actually was animated to move?
That would be handy for translations, too. Folks can just override the text in a document somewhere and have it render the results in-game.

hello

Post by hello »

this stuff is amazing!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Some new UI framework was discussed before and is still considered AFAIK, but now the focus is on the core...
Thats why there is hesitation to implement some UI stuff like changing the possitions of the health bars, compass etc. Because that will be dealt with with the mentioned framework in some more complex way - laters.

Thats how I get it at least :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

MasonFace wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm
I always imagined that the GUI would be renderer in game allowing mods and other things to change how the GUI operated. Rather that creating pre-rendered graphics.

That would be handy for translations, too. Folks can just override the text in a document somewhere and have it render the results in-game.
That is precisely what I was thinking.

I'm still curious about why TT/OT fonts (really the same thing) and not used natively.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm @MrFlibble:
I don't think the sRGB color profile affected anything when I upscaled the others; it just complained about it but worked anyway.
Have you had a chance to try SFTGAN again with my advice? I'm really interested in seeing what all kinds of crazy new techniques you will dream up with another tool at your disposal.
Yeah, I got the hang of it. I'm getting rather interesting results with feeding it images scaled up with waifu2x (with prior softening). They have a different quality compared to the ESRGAN results with the Manga 109 model and its interpolations, as it appears that this "oily" quality people keep complaining about it not reproduced.

Here's the same set of sprites I used for quick testing previously:
The downside is that there's lots of artifacts showing.

I also ran a couple of textures in the same manner (left), compare to ESRGAN results with the ESRGAN_4x/Manga109 interpolation at 0.5 (right):
Image Image

Image Image
One thing is certain that the SFTGAN results are way more noisy.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Would it be possible to combine those results, somehow? It seems like they both have good features that the other lacks. Details/lack of artifacting on the right; lack of "greasy look" on the left.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:00 am Would it be possible to combine those results, somehow? It seems like they both have good features that the other lacks. Details/lack of artifacting on the right; lack of "greasy look" on the left.
The Orc below is a composite of ESRGAN and SFTGAN results from previous tests. Jukic is working on batch processing these results together for all its frames as a test.

The two methods do often compliment each other and combining their results, even with a simple overlay, can offer dramatic improvements.

@MrFlibble:

I just realized that I forgot to mention that the SFTGAN is a two step process. I forgot this because I awlays just run a batch file that sequentially runs test_segmentation.py then test_sftgan.py so I just didn't think about it. I'm glad you got it figured out though!

It looks like your results did a much better job on the NPC faces than any AI upscales I've seen so far.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 am The Orc below is a composite of ESRGAN and SFTGAN results from previous tests. Jukic is working on batch processing these results together for all its frames as a test.
That looks very nice!

Recently I started using C'MIC's Layers -> Blend [median] function to some neat effect. Here's a little sample of random Daggerfall sprites I use for testing, this is a blend of the RandomArt/Manga109 interpolation and the waifu2x+SFTGAN method. In both cases the original image was xBRZ-softened (with the pixelise filter).
https://imgur.com/a/AmTxh8p