AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks a ton!!
I will go thru this and see whats up.
Very appreciated!!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Arent the masks on the 8x sharpened the same as on the 4x?
Im confused in a sense that the outlines of the 8x mobs are same resolution as the 4x mobs just appear softened/blurred.
Maybe Im just too tired tho

Also, the 1st link called "8x Upscaled MOBs" is the 4x mobs from the base PVE release, Im quite certain about that at least. :lol:

But god DAMN some of these 8x sharpened look insane! Still, arent those masks really from the 4x version?
Spoiler!
270_5-5.png
270_5-5.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1998 times
274_0-1.png
274_0-1.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1993 times
277_0-2.png
277_0-2.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1993 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Also, the 1st link called "8x Upscaled MOBs" is the 4x mobs from the base PVE release, Im quite certain about that at least. :lol:
Dang it! I posted that early in the morning as I was rushing off to work. I should have taken my time. The link is fixed now.
Still, arent those masks really from the 4x version?
No, but I see what you're talking about. In the samples you've shown below the outlines do look pretty jagged. I don't recall them looking like that in game though...

Ah shoot! I uploaded the wrong batch! I'm fixing it now...

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

The link is fixed now! Got try it out.

This is what the masks are supposed to look like:
Spoiler!
270_5-5.png
270_5-5.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1981 times
274_0-0.png
274_0-0.png (955.58 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
277_0-1.png
277_0-1.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1981 times
Still not perfect, but definitely better!.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Haha happens mate, thanks a lot, downloading!
The images with correct masks.. its fantastic what you was able to do with these 100x100 source files :!:

pango

Post by pango »

Bethesda worked on Terminator before Daggerfall, right? :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

phredreeke

Post by phredreeke »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm Arent the masks on the 8x sharpened the same as on the 4x?
Im confused in a sense that the outlines of the 8x mobs are same resolution as the 4x mobs just appear softened/blurred.
Keep in mind I only did 8x masks for the front facing sprites

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Phredreeke!

Yes Ive noticed 8x masks are only on the forward facing frames.
But that reduces the point of the 8x resolution on the rest of the frames, because the outline is just 4x.

Please, for the sake of Daggerfall...
I beg you...

8x mask on 8x resolution on NON-forward facing mobs. Please :oops:

EDIT: Btw Ive tested the 8x forward facing mobs ingame, it looks nice, but its a bit unconsistent in between the frames. I guess so much detail comes with another set of visual problems, and that was somehow expected. It needs some manual input, which I might be able to do. Some mobs are better than others. Some outlines still need manual touch. Etc etc etc... having the whole set in 8x resolution and masked would be a great start.

In the 8x front facing sharpened:
Ive noticed that the Seducer mob is missing. Thats mob 284...
Werebeast is missing as well. Number 269..

I still think that the soft outline on my mobs works better ingame... but I cant be 100% sure because you guys have quite different images and outlines... but thats not a problem, I can solve that laters (if Im sure its good for something after more testing)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Bethesda worked on Terminator before Daggerfall, right? :D
These AI upscales are brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems. :)
EDIT: Btw Ive tested the 8x forward facing mobs ingame, it looks nice, but its a bit unconsistent in between the frames. I guess so much detail comes with another set of visual problems, and that was somehow expected. It needs some manual input, which I might be able to do. Some mobs are better than others.
Yeah I noticed that too. If you don't mind making a list of which MOBs are the worst offenders, I could try to blend the results back into the unsharpened 8x to tone it down and make the animation frames look more consistent.
In the 8x front facing sharpened:
Ive noticed that the Seducer mob is missing. Thats mob 284...
Werebeast is missing as well. Number 269..
Archive 269 is the exact same frames as 264, so just copy those frames and rename them.

The seducer didn't benefit much from the sharpening, but I might make another attempt at it.
I still think that the soft outline on my mobs works better ingame...
I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by "soft" outline. Do your MOB upscales have partial transparency around the edges, meaning that the edges are feathered? That shouldn't help the final rendered result in DFU since the billboard batch shader won't render the pixels with an alpha value below its set threshold, so you should end up with a "hard" outline.
but I cant be 100% sure because you guys have quite different images and outlines...
Yeah, I haven't tested it, but I'm about 95% sure that the outline of your xBR Upscaled MOBS will not follow the contour of the AI Upscaled MOBs correctly, especially the sharpened ones; the sharpening process apparently also manipulates the outline which is why I had to undercut Phredreeke's masks on those and that's why the outlines are a bit funky.
phredreeke wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 amKeep in mind I only did 8x masks for the front facing sprites
@KoW: would you have time to take some comparison screenshots of the 4x and the 8x MOBs? I really don't want Phredreeke to spend the time generating 3,600+ upscaled masks without first seeing how the results compare.

phredreeke

Post by phredreeke »

I'm going to attempt a slightly faster variant using the previous 4x upscale mask as a base (apply antialiasing, upscale 2x, then apply threshold) rather than the full script I used for the 8x front-facing sprites - it won't look quite as nice but probably good enough for the remaining angles.