AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms »

Btw I try to do something with the travel map, would you be so kind and upscale this empty tab for me?
That exit text doesnt matter, I will replace it when its upscaled.
Thank you very much!
travmaps.png
travmaps.png (9.3 KiB) Viewed 2746 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Important note: Please make sure you are using either Bilinear or Trilinear filtering when using this mod! I reduced the size of the height, normal, metallic, and occlusion maps to save memory and they will look very bad if they aren't filtered. Daggerfall unity launch screen settings take precedence over my texture import settings so you'll have to make sure this option is set in the advanced/video options.
One thing that I noticed: The corridor just outside the room where the exit is located... the walls in the corridor seem very orange, while the original texture was not noticeably different (color tone) from the one used inside "the exit room".
Thanks for pointing that out. I reused the texture of 023_4-0 which is a greyscale version of 020_4-0 and manually changed the albedo color to save memory. I guess I didn't match the color very well :? I'll get that fixed!
Thanks, downloading, btw I checked the textures by Freak and they are ok, but would be much better if they were 2x the resolution.
Walls 1024*512, floors 512x512 etc...just my opinion ofc
I'm taking that into consideration when I set the target resolution for these textures, however, all of the wall textures used in Privateers hold are scaled such that they repeat at least once on the vertical axis so a vertical size of 512 pixels will give me the 1024 pixels, so there shouldn't be an issue of aliasing on these textures. The exception to that being in the main chamber/throne room where 019_4-0 texture gets scaled up on some of the walls.

I can only upscale so much without losing significant detail, after which, the results are nearly as blurry as just letting Unity scale the texture and filter it, so I'm trying to leave the resolution as low and I can get by with to save memory and be more performant. When I start upscaling textures that extend from the floor to the ceiling, I may try another upscaling pass to see if I can get the detail up to where it needs to be.

Also, most of the textures in Privateers Hold have sparse data in the color (albedo) field, so I keep that resolution relatively low, then add detail back in using secondary normal maps which work great on rough surfaces.
Btw I try to do something with the travel map, would you be so kind and upscale this empty tab for me?
That exit text doesnt matter, I will replace it when its upscaled.
Sure, no problem! You still need the map upscaled? I'm ready to take another attempt at it.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Very impressive! The 2 rooms with the skeletons in PH stood out to me for whatever reason, they both look very very nice, especially the one next to the exit room.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

LypyL wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm Very impressive! The 2 rooms with the skeletons in PH stood out to me for whatever reason, they both look very very nice, especially the one next to the exit room.
Thanks! Much appreciated!

@KoW:

Here are the upscales you requested. The first one is upscaled with xBRZ softening -> ESRGAN -> SFTGAN. The second one is the upscaled version with about an hour of touch-ups. Feel free to use either (or neither) of them.

Below are JPEGs for viewing. Use the link at the bottom to download the lossless PNG versions.
TRAV0I00_0-0_Upscaled.jpg
TRAV0I00_0-0_Upscaled.jpg (584.9 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
TRAV0I00_0-0_Upscaled_TouchedUp.jpg
TRAV0I00_0-0_Upscaled_TouchedUp.jpg (556.25 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

Download Link (lossless PNG format):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oVwr8 ... bQwnJQ__Wu

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I love what you did with the mountains! :o

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Beautiful job, the 2nd map is just great! Thank you!
I will see what I can do with it...
I love your jungle and swamps... and ofc the stone borders.. and mountains... damn :D

About the resolutions, I think you know the best :)
I just saw the textures by Freak you put a download link for, and was wondering why they are not 2x bigger, because thats the reso which became somewhat a standard - if anything like a standard exists in this atm..

Had no idea that upscaling textures further can actually reduce the details on it. Thanks for clarification.

Btw this is a current state of travmap Im working on... Maybe I will rework it completely, not sure what will happen.. I love some parts of your map a lot. Maybe I will make a blend... nobody knows yet.
Spoiler!
TravMap.jpg
TravMap.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2674 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Had no idea that upscaling textures further can actually reduce the details on it. Thanks for clarification.
Well it's not so much that it reduces details, it just makes the image larger without adding any additional significant detail. Basically, there are more pixels but not necessarily any additional information (detail), so it looks only slightly better than a filtered low resolution image, but eats up 4 times the memory. My approach follows the Pareto principle: I'll take roughly 90% of the quality for 25% of the cost (not quite an 80/20 split, but you get the point ;) ). So I think I'll just try to keep my textures at a more modest resolution; I think there are some in the community whose video cards will appreciate the lighter workload.

As for the map, I may be biased but I prefer my touched up map to the one you have; the wear patterns on yours is a bit excessive and washes out the details. But that's just my opinion. Maybe you should post it in your thread and see which people prefer?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Got it, and it makes sense ofc.
About the maps... with a recent VMBlast addition... Im completely frozen in my decisions and need another break :lol:
Thing is, I like some part here, other part there.. each version excels in at least one parameter IMO, and blending it all together is almost impossible.
I really think I will let it sink for a while and return to it laters :D

I think I will work a bit on mine, so I make it look like I really like it, and than compare the maps actually ingame. That can help a lot to decide. What looks good on a single image, might look completely out of place ingame etc...

You did awesome job on yours thats 4 sure

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Completely understandable. I will try to send you the GIMP file later on when I get home so you will have all the layer data. That should make blending a lot easier. How's your eye doing, btw?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, Id have a look for sure.

Well, my eye is getting better, but slowly. I reduced my PC time a lot and changed monitor settings to less brightness and less blue.. still... zero monitor time would be ideal for fast recovery, but I realized its almost impossible in this day and age, when even the phone is a god damned monitor :) Plus its a addiction, Im too used to PC/Phone. I plan a holidays soon, and will turn my phone off, no tv, no pc, that should push it to 100%, now Im at 80%, started at 40% lets say.. TLDR: Its getting better :lol:

Thanks for asking ;)