AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Zadroter

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by Zadroter »

Not tested NPCs, but textures posted above looks suprisingly very, very good. I appreciate work other people done who have artist skills but I like as vanilla friendly as possible, and this pack very close to it.

Merlkir

Post by Merlkir »

Hiya! Just popping in - in case you wanted to reintroduce the pixelated look into higher res images after upscaling, or repainting (or 3D renders, those would probably look good), I'd recommend trying this tool:

https://kronbits.itch.io/pixatool

It's given me very neat results when I tried it out previously.
Last edited by Merlkir on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

The comparison by Freak2121 looks good indeed. :o

Just a few things to keep in mind though... It compares usage with bilinear/trilinear filtering, whereas the original textures are best viewed with point filtering.
Also, I have tried the up-scaled textures (only very briefly) and while it looks superior to vanilla textures from a distance, the up-scaling introduced a lot of artifacts... up close it's very noticeable. I wonder whether it could be further tweaked (batch processed), to lessen it a bit.

I hope my post does not sound like I dislike the effort or the results... that is not the case. :oops:

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Here are my upscaled NPCs for now.... https://mega.nz/#!y6RjzYKI!Miw4j3p9vmbt ... 5RCdtiR0uc

Not sure how well it will work tho... but maybe worth a try. Problem is, I used the NPCs from Daggerfall archive with higher resolution as a source. Not those which are used ingame. And I changed their heads for the heads from their portraits...
I cannot include images that are just straight XBR upscaling since we would end up with an AI that can only at best approximate XBR results, but many of the others where the faces have been cleaned up could be very useful. After removing the straight XBR upscales, duplicates, and extra animation frames, I ended up with 158 good quality training samples for NPCs. A very good start! Thank you for the contribution!
I also have sprites... ask if u want those as well...
Yes, please send, and thank you!

Then I have all the mobs upscalled with XBR4x
Sorry, but what are "mobs?"

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Merlkir wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 pm Hiya! Just popping in - in case you wanted to reintroduce the pixelated look into higher res images after upscaling, or repainting (or 3D renders, those would probably look good), I'd recommend trying this tool:

https://kronbits.itch.io/pixatool

It's given me very neat results when I tried it out previously.
Hi Merlkir! Thanks for the info! I think that tool could work well to help convert the training sample data into training inputs that closely match the vanilla Daggerfall textures, but I'm not sure it does anything that free plugins/filters can do in GIMP or Photoshop.

I you want your textures to have a little more of that pixelated look, try changing the main filter option in the Daggerfall Unity:

In the Daggerfall Unity startup screen, go to Advanced, then Video, then change the Main Filter option to Point using the slider.

Merlkir

Post by Merlkir »

Depends on the filters you have in Gimp and PS, I guess.
This can also add dithering, or convert to a preset palette. It's all adjustable and it can process batches of images with profiles.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:39 pm Sorry, but what are "mobs?"
It's from WoW and MMORPGs. Originally meant "monster or beast". Through general misuse and misunderstanding, has come to mean "mobile (character or creature in a game)"; which is most likely the usage meant here.

And there's your Recent English History lesson for the day. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

It's from WoW and MMORPGs. Originally meant "monster or beast". Through general misuse and misunderstanding, has come to mean "mobile (character or creature in a game)"; which is most likely the usage meant here.
Ah, thank you Narf.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 pm It's from WoW and MMORPGs. Originally meant "monster or beast". Through general misuse and misunderstanding, has come to mean "mobile (character or creature in a game)"; which is most likely the usage meant here.

Sorry for the quite pointless nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the word is older than WoW and MMORPGs. I got acquainted with the word in the MUD scene in the nineties, already with the meaning of "mobile".

In particular, the place where I remember first seeing it is the CircleMUD manual... which is still online! And indeed, it talks about mobs (see the mobile section).

https://www.circlemud.org/cdp/building/ ... .html#toc4

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 pm It's from WoW and MMORPGs. Originally meant "monster or beast". Through general misuse and misunderstanding, has come to mean "mobile (character or creature in a game)"; which is most likely the usage meant here.

Sorry for the quite pointless nitpick, but I'm pretty sure the word is older than WoW and MMORPGs. I got acquainted with the word in the MUD scene in the nineties, already with the meaning of "mobile".

In particular, the place where I remember first seeing it is the CircleMUD manual... which is still online! And indeed, it talks about mobs (see the mobile section).

https://www.circlemud.org/cdp/building/ ... .html#toc4
Well, I used it as "mobile" in an MMO context, and was quickly corrected (or "corrected"?) as "monster or beast".

So I guess the word has come full circle?

English be weird.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.