AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Azteca

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by Azteca »

Hey folks, though you clearly have some very advanced and specific workflows, I thought I would share this tool.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18798.0

GUI for ESRGAN with waifu2x prefiltering and model blending.
We have some experts on these forums by now, but it might be a good way for the less technical to dip their toes in.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats what I was hoping for :)
Thanks for a heads up!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

MOBs Update: I've nearly got all the MOBs done and they're looking really really good. My ghosts don't look as good as Pango's charcoal version, but I think they're passable for now. GIMP 2.10 has a dithering filter that gets great results, but there is no API support for it, so I can't batch it... so what I've come up with will just have to work for now.

I will generate the emission maps for things like undead/daedra glowing red eyes, magic spells and staff, and fire golem/daedra and dragon flames, now that TheLacus has done some work with supporting emission maps for MOBs.
In the meantime I expanded upon the xBR/xBRZ multipass method I described earlier.
@MrFlibble:

Outstanding results as usual! Now that I'm nearly done with the MOBs, I may see if I can batch these processes you've described and get all the sprites upscaled next.
Hey folks, though you clearly have some very advanced and specific workflows, I thought I would share this tool.
Thank you for sharing this! I'm glad someone finally took the effort to compile a GUI for all that stuff. It would be really interesting to see MrFlibble's pre-processing methods (and maybe even a noise generator too) incorporated into this program.
Last edited by MasonFace on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Glad to hear the mobs are progressing nicely! The emision maps will be next level stuff.. and glowing eyes? Yes!

If the ghosts are a problem, Im quite sure Pango might share his ghosts with u. At least he was so kind to share his work with me, because I faced similar obstacles.

Good luck all!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I'm working on two variations for the ghosts. One version is inspired by Pango's charcoal ghosts and is partially see thru by keeping the pixels sparse and lots of alpha pixels between them.

I'm working on an alternative that is solid. I think it looks better since it is able to show more detail, but it does look a little odd since transparency isn't supported yet. I'm favoring this approach since the ghosts are almost always spawned in dark areas so the lack of transparency may not look that bad. Also, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before transparency will be implemented so might as well bite the bullet now.

I'll post some screen shots tonight to compare.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Well, here are the ghosts. I don't have the emissive red eyes generated yet.

Charcoal:
273_0-0.PNG
273_0-0.PNG (267.1 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Solid:
273_0-0 (1).PNG
273_0-0 (1).PNG (450.43 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Of course the solid version won't have the fuzzy edges once rendered in game with the billboard shader, but it looks okay in game. My main problem with the charcoal ghost is that it looks really odd with the texture filtering. I figure my two options are trying to override the texture filtering with a script like I've mentioned before, or making the pixels more sparse (more alpha between them), but that would lower the detail.

On both the solid and charcoal versions, I need to add some padding to make sure the hands and head don't smash into the edge of the frame. Also, I didn't use any AI algorithms to upscale the original, so the edges are quite jagged. I tried to hide it with a lot of blur, but I think I can do better...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm, really need to see them ingame to have a idea how it really looks now ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Azteca wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 pm Hey folks, though you clearly have some very advanced and specific workflows, I thought I would share this tool.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18798.0

GUI for ESRGAN with waifu2x prefiltering and model blending.
We have some experts on these forums by now, but it might be a good way for the less technical to dip their toes in.
Sorry to hijack the thread :X
Anyone was able to install it?

1)Install python-3.6.2-amd64.exe - DONE

2)Open an admin command prompt and do the following commands (may take some time to process all):
pip install scipy
pip install pillow
pip install numpy opencv-python
pip3 install http://download.pytorch.org/whl/cu90/to ... _amd64.whl
pip3 install torchvision

Not sure what is admin command prompt, so I tryed both:
start > run > cmd (that is the command prompt with admin rights IMO) - result - Pip is not a recognized command

So I thought its a command prompt of python. Found the install. Run the executable.
Wrote: pip install scipy - result - invalid syntax

And thats it :D

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I haven't tried to install it, but the instructions look similar to a lot of python projects.

If you're in Windows, then it's just the command prompt so you were right to use Start > Run > CMD.

It's acting like pip didn't get installed, but it should have come with your Python installation. Try re-installing Python (run the install executable as administrator just in case) and make sure that the default option is chosen (make sure PIP is included).

If that doesn't work, then it might not have set up a system environment variable path for either Python or PIP.

Follow this guide and see if Python or PIP are in your "Path" list.

Update: Another thing, try running CMD as administrator just to make sure it isn't blocking it from running for security reasons, although it doesn't sound like that's the case. Another thing to try is to use "sudo" before the command, but that may be only a Linux thing.

example: "sudo pip install scipy" instead of "pip install scipy"

Okay, one last thing. Even though it said to use "pip install scipy", try using "pip3 install scipy". Seems like I might have had an issue once between using pip and pip3, but I may be mistaken.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for reply!

well it turned out that the PATH (whatever that is) was not set. And I was not able to add it. So I found workaround. There are scripts in a folder of python install. So I navigated the CMD line there 1st, in my case

C:\Users\Xerxes\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\Scripts

and than I fired up the commands and it worked...

Cool..

But I still get Unexpected error when I start the executable of the upscaling program, even after installing ALL the pre-requisities. DAMN! :oops: :evil: :evil:

Might still be a part of the problem of PATH (edit: it was not)

EDIT: Made account on those forums and raised a question to the creator, maybe he helps