AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Post Reply
User avatar
King of Worms
Posts: 3042
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Scourg Barrow (CZ)
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 am

phredreeke wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 am
This is using a new model that's been shared with me, interesting results

https://imgsli.com/MTA1NDE
But that palette change is really bad

phredreeke
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 am

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by phredreeke » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:39 pm

I know. Not all "interesting results" are meant to be used. Here are some more interesting results

https://imgsli.com/MTA1NjE
https://imgsli.com/MTA1NjI
https://imgsli.com/MTA1NjM
https://imgsli.com/MTA1NjU

User avatar
pango
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by pango » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:25 pm

The results are a bit repulsive, like the Black paintings of Goya or something.
It could be interesting to apply this models to monsters, say gargoyles, to see if they can be made more monstrous...
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

hannafamilycomputer
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 am

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by hannafamilycomputer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 pm

MasonFace wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm

As an aside, another thing I'd like to do in the long term is to add extra animation frames, but that's a stretch goal. ;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNkdaEJS2g
Around 4 mintues 20 seconds...

It seems the bestary in the demo has the extra frames. I know I read on here someone said that the default ones had like 32 frames and the final game was cut down to 4 frames. Would this demo have been released before those extra frames were cut? If yes, would it be possible to go through and find the texture in the demos files and place them in dfu?

I know at the start some of the paragraphs the person was reading through said that they had to compress a bit of stuff to fit on the demo disk, so it might not be, bit those animations looked smoother than 4 frames. They also might be gifs or something.

User avatar
King of Worms
Posts: 3042
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Scourg Barrow (CZ)
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

hannafamilycomputer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 pm
MasonFace wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm

As an aside, another thing I'd like to do in the long term is to add extra animation frames, but that's a stretch goal. ;)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNkdaEJS2g
Around 4 mintues 20 seconds...

It seems the bestary in the demo has the extra frames. I know I read on here someone said that the default ones had like 32 frames and the final game was cut down to 4 frames. Would this demo have been released before those extra frames were cut? If yes, would it be possible to go through and find the texture in the demos files and place them in dfu?

I know at the start some of the paragraphs the person was reading through said that they had to compress a bit of stuff to fit on the demo disk, so it might not be, bit those animations looked smoother than 4 frames. They also might be gifs or something.

Yes it has more frames, but
1st) its only one side of the mob and only a walking set
2nd) its a video.. there are not separate files of this animation in the demo

It will not help much honestly.

If we want more frames of the mobs, we need to
-enable the game engine to actually use them
-create them as some kind of interpolation of the known frames we have now

just my 2 cents ;)

User avatar
King of Worms
Posts: 3042
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Scourg Barrow (CZ)
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 pm

pango wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:25 pm
The results are a bit repulsive, like the Black paintings of Goya or something.
It could be interesting to apply this models to monsters, say gargoyles, to see if they can be made more monstrous...
Haha that could work :D I agree that the NPC upscale is not that impressive. The monsters are made from 3d models, it might work better. And the bestiality of the algo could shine there!

But knowing how much work it really is to upscale all the frames and create the alpha masks and make it all work and look good, I dont hold my breath for anything better than MasonFace and his team produced. Also knowing how much manual input Ive dumped into it afterwards...

Id like to be surprised tho :)

User avatar
MrFlibble
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 am

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by MrFlibble » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm

phredreeke wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:39 pm
I know. Not all "interesting results" are meant to be used. Here are some more interesting results
This is Pixelity Faces, right?

As expected it does a decent to good job with faces (I actually like most of the old crone's face result) but everything else like clothes it seems to interpret as streaks of hair, and transform accordingly.

I'd rather there were a model that could make upscaled hand-drawn sprites look like something drawn in the same or similar style, but existing models that were trained on painted images and/or drawings seem not to produce overly impressive results so far.

User avatar
King of Worms
Posts: 3042
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Scourg Barrow (CZ)
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 am

Guys, I think Ive heard there was some new algo, which can keep the alpha?
I need to upscale things like this:
245_4-0_Dwarven.png
245_4-0_Dwarven.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 87 times
And I dont want to deal with removing the black backgrounds which are created by the process.

Is there some easy way out please?

BadLuckBurt
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by BadLuckBurt » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am

I dont know about algos but in case there is none the black could be removed using Imagick on a command-line maybe?

User avatar
King of Worms
Posts: 3042
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Scourg Barrow (CZ)
Contact:

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by King of Worms » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:04 pm

BadLuckBurt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am
I dont know about algos but in case there is none the black could be removed using Imagick on a command-line maybe?
Thats I guess how adrinus did it... he deffo did not do it by hand. Any idea on how that command line should look like tho?
PS: my AI upscaling is up and running, uff, had to deal with issues I had not even a slightest idea on what they are about or what they mean but I managed :D

Post Reply