Real grass

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
LypyL

Re: Real grass

Post by LypyL »

Uncanny_Valley wrote:Looks really nice. :D
I try to make my mods as easy as possibly to install. I also try to avoid editing existing scripts and try to make more standalone "modules" that you add to the project.
That's really the way to do it...if for no other reason than you'll go crazy trying to keep your projects updated to the latest version of DFTFU :lol:

I've been thinking it might be useful to add an event manager and trigger events for whatever possible or something along those lines to make it easier to develop with DFTFU w/o editing the core files.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

LypyL wrote:I've been thinking it might be useful to add an event manager and trigger events for whatever possible or something along those lines to make it easier to develop with DFTFU w/o editing the core files.
Agreed. I've been thinking about an event system for DFTFU for a while now.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Name: Real Grass
Made by: Uncanny_Valley
For: DaggerFall Tools For Unity (1.3.8)
Version: 1.01

This mod adds animated billboard grass on mostly all grass covered tiles in DaggerFall, the exceptions
are when "grass" covers less than 1/4 of a tile.

1.01 fixes
*Changed the way grass is added to terrain. Prevents terrain objects to fill up with more and more RealGrass scripts as you travel around the world (Ops!)
*Should be in theory be faster to load. (But you probably wont notice the difference)
*I made some slight edits to the grass texture to further blend it with the underlying grass-tiles.

Known Issues:
The grass will clip through all meshes. For the most part you will not notice this, but sometimes it's
very noticeable. I'm open for any suggestion how to remedy or reduce this effect.

How to use:
1. Extract the content of this zip to anywhere inside your project.
2a. Add the following line of code in DaggerFallTerrain.cs, in "PromotTerrainData()" , right after the line "terrain.terrainData.SetHeights(0, 0, heights);"

terrain = DaggerfallWorkshop.Demo.RealGrass.AddGrass(terrain,this);

2b. Or just make sure that the script is attached to every newly created terrain in some other way.

To-do:
I would like to fix the clipping issue somehow, at least with those meshes where it looks most horrible
Find a smoother way to implement this mod without the need to edit existing scripts (as in step 2)

Download
http://www.filedropper.com/dftfu-realgrass101

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome work Uncanny_Valley. Thank you so much. :)

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Name: Real Grass
Made by: Uncanny_Valley
For: DaggerFall Tools For Unity (1.3.31)
Version: 1.02

This mod adds animated billboard grass in DaggerFall

*Updated to work with version 1.3 of DaggerFall Tools For Unity
*You no longer need to edit existing DFTFU files to use Real Grass
*Code improvements, the loading time for the grass should be significant lower than before

How to use:
1. Extract the content of the unity package into your DFTFU project
2 Add the prefab (pref_RealGrass) to the StreamingWorld Scene
3. Play and enjoy

Download Link:
http://www.filedropper.com/realgrass102

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Your grass looks amazing!
You're going to make flowers, various herbs for different regions or snow?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

the link no longer works for me :/

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Here is an updated link.
http://www.filedropper.com/realgrass102

Sorry for the late response. RL has been super busy for me for the past two months, with a new job and much much more. And I will not will not be able to spend any time in the foreseeable future on DFTU. :|

@Biboran, you could probably expand my mod to add flower or different grass depending on the region, etc. Anyone who wishes to continue with this is free to do so. I actually would love if someone did. :D

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

thanks mate!
Sounds like you are having an interesting time at the moment ;)

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

What's going to happen to Uncanny's mods now that the links don't work and he wont be around to update them? I'd hate to see them disappear. Does anyone have backup copies? And if so, what happens to the other mods he made where he didn't explicitly state he was okay with someone else taking over?