Tree replace Speedtree model

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Cristalnoir

Re: Tree replace Speedtree model

Post by Cristalnoir »

haloterm wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 am That would be a great addition, if finished. Tried the preliminary download but got pink trees everywhere. Probably because I'm on Linux, and so far only a Windows build is included?
Windows MacOs & Linux included
Cristalnoir studio

pango

Post by pango »

Works for me on Linux:
TreeReplace2.jpg
TreeReplace2.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
It's a delightful mod! Height and volume looks right, those trees blend nicely in their surroundings.

I didn't expect them to move! Too many years of billboards I guess ;) I assume that at some point that will have to be tied to Unity wind...

I was not fully convinced by the movements of the tree shown on the right in the screenshot above, leaves may be okay but branches move too fast, you don't "feel" the branches weight. The one on the left felt better in this regard.

And I happened to test the mod under snowy conditions (you can take the save game from viewtopic.php?f=24&t=830#p21302 if you need one), and the replacement models aren't covered in snow like their billboard counterparts. I hope that Speedtree can handle that?

But those are details, I can't wait to see a whole 3d forest :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Great to see someone is making trees, downloading now :) When i first worked on the grass mod i also made this small addon to alter wind for the current weather. I'll take the occasion to see how it plays with your trees, as long as they are affected by the wind zone they should also be affected by the mod.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Really impressed by this mod - replaces trees correctly both in locations as well as the nature flats on regular terrain. Performance is good as well.
Works without problems with Distant Terrain and Realtime Reflections mod (all together are heavy on performance though) ;)

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

And I happened to test the mod under snowy conditions (you can take the save game from viewtopic.php?f=24&t=830#p21302 if you need one), and the replacement models aren't covered in snow like their billboard counterparts. I hope that Speedtree can handle that?
According to my research in the file, they are different models, so I have to create them to take them into account.
I'll take the occasion to see how it plays with your trees, as long as they are affected by the wind zone they should also be affected by the mod.
I'm waiting for your return on that ....
Works without problems with Distant Terrain and Realtime Reflections mod (all together are heavy on performance though) ;)
Yes, I explained at the beginning of the post that I did a lot of testing, the framerate drops, I think it comes from something other than speedtree models, because the LODS are integrated.
Cristalnoir studio

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Cristalnoir wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm
Yes, I explained at the beginning of the post that I did a lot of testing, the framerate drops, I think it comes from something other than speedtree models, because the LODS are integrated.
yes, realtime reflection mod is performance intense - the mod uses planar reflections and those are expensive (separate renderings of whole scene) - everything together sums up - but the trees are not the issue :)

MoralityKiller11

Post by MoralityKiller11 »

Tried it today and it works wonders for the atmosphere even if just a few sprites have been replaced. But the ones that have been replaced look gorgeous and I jizzed in my pants when seeing them moving in the wind. :shock:
Thank you so much for your work because while playing dfunity I allways had in my mind that the game would be so much better with 3d tree sprites and you proofed that I was right. Keep up the great work. Looking forward seeing more 3d tree sprites from you :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I'm giving this one a go, give me a few days to dive into it, and thank you in advance for doing this...
Thank you man :)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I had to go from 4 terrain distance to 2 (it went from about 50+ fps to 5 or 6), i am getting 30+ with real grass maxed, and all mods/texture packs.
The trees show up in winter, but only in locations, took the modded tree textures out too (thanks for providing the #'s in descript), spring/summer/fall seems to work fine.
So I'm thinking if it lags this much with a handful, all of them may be super demanding, they look good though (shadows, they fit in, and they even blow in the wind).
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

MoralityKiller11 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 pm Tried it today and it works wonders for the atmosphere even if just a few sprites have been replaced. But the ones that have been replaced look gorgeous and I jizzed in my pants when seeing them moving in the wind. :shock:
Thank you so much for your work because while playing dfunity I allways had in my mind that the game would be so much better with 3d tree sprites and you proofed that I was right. Keep up the great work. Looking forward seeing more 3d tree sprites from you :)
Cristalnoir studio