[MOD] Drafty Secret Doors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kaedius

[MOD] Drafty Secret Doors

Post by Kaedius »

I'm a bit obsessive about finding all of the secret doors in dungeons but I found myself clicking every wall for potential doors and constantly checking the map for suspicious walls, which took away from just enjoying the dungeon and combat.

This mod adds a faint wind sound to all secret doors in a dungeon, so that by paying attention to sounds while working through a dungeon you will likely find secret doors in a more "natural" way.

Will not work for doors that require a lever or switch to activate. You may hear the wind if the door is above, below, or in another hallway. It should be fairly faint though if it is.

Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/211

GitHub:
https://github.com/KDS-KDS/DraftySecretDoors
Last edited by Kaedius on Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kamer

Re: Drafty Secret Doors Mod

Post by Kamer »

I'll need to check this out. I really like the idea of this. Obvious secret doors are pointless. This will at least give players a hint.

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Yeah, that's the balance I'm trying to find. I'm wondering now if actually increasing the distance of the sound and lowering the volume might help make it harder to actually find the door, as long as it's not a few levels away. I'll add the ability to adjust the distances in the settings soon so everyone can adjust to their tastes.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't actually set the volume to what the user chooses in settings. Will update soon.
EDIT: Fixed volume setting, added minimum distance and maximum distance to settings.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Great job! :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

This is a doable solution. I still would prefer a you spot a secret door message when you get close to one. But I'm sure you couldn't do that with a simple mod. Since DF doesn't have a perception stat I would use intelligence and luck. You could use this like a radius. When you come within a certain radius (let's say 100') of a secret door two rolls are made one intelligence and one luck. The door is detected based on the threshold how close you are to the door and your best score. The better the score the larger your detect radius. Doors become easier to detect as they are brightly lit. the light hitting the door increases your effective detect radius. if the door emitted light briefly that would be awesome.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

I actually first had it so that a message would pop up saying you notice something strange nearby when near a secret door, and was going to use luck to determine whether or not it did. Ultimately I really liked the subtlety of the wind sound, and having to use my actual senses to detect the door. And audio sources had a built-in player detector, so that was a plus.

But, I can make a version similar to what you say and using intelligence as a factor as well makes sense. I can look into the lighting, but that might be possible I think.

dMike

Post by dMike »

Great mod! I love it! I can now disable the small dungeons option and enjoy full size dungeons without endlessly clicking every wall ten times in the hope of finding a secret passage. I like that the mod uses a normal dungeon sound so that you sometimes think you're near a hidden door even when you're not.

Personally I think that using a stat or a skill to decide the chance of detecting doors doesn't fit the game that well.
There's no perception stat and using stealth would make that skill overused. Almost everyone would pick stealth at character creation. I do that most of the time already. Maybe use one of the lesser used skills, like pickpocket or lockpicking.

If this game had a perk system this would be ideal for a perk. :)

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Glad you like it! I agree that using stats/skills for detection chance doesn't quite fit. In the end, I wasn't happy with any of the implementations I came up with or with the balance the various ways to use skills and stats work out. I'll just keep this simple and leave it as-is.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nice idea. Personally I find the 3d map is the easiest way to find secret doors... it shows the doorways up even for hidden doors, so rotating it a few times gives you an idea roughly where they are. Am I a cheater? lol
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Been using this mod and it works even better when you lower the dungeon ambient lighting, hearing that whistling in near complete darkness is so good.