[MOD] Drafty Secret Doors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kaedius

Re: Drafty Secret Doors Mod

Post by Kaedius »

emmathepony wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:14 pm Been using this mod and it works even better when you lower the dungeon ambient lighting, hearing that whistling in near complete darkness is so good.
Yeah, I was surprised at how well that whistling adds to the atmosphere. I didn't test it with low ambient lighting, but I love that feature as well as the player torch and imagine it helps add even more atmosphere at low settings.

Happy to hear you are enjoying the mod!

pango

Post by pango »

Great mod, I think I know most Daggerfall secret doors by heart, but I'm waiting for this mod to prove me wrong :D

I submitted a PR to change sound pitch, I prefer lower volume but higher pitch myself, closer to a whistling sound. It also helps sound differently from random wind draft sounds.

One improvement I'd really like is that the sound stops playing when the secret door is open; But it would require to add some behavior to secret doors, so it's not totally trivial to do.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Shinino

Post by Shinino »

It should also factor in stats, I'd think? Maybe more obvious if you have higher int or something?

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

pango wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm I submitted a PR to change sound pitch, I prefer lower volume but higher pitch myself, closer to a whistling sound. It also helps sound differently from random wind draft sounds.
Thanks for that, it's a great addition I hadn't considered. After playing with it I actually like it a bit lower than 1.0! I'll just default it to 1.0 but would encourage others to try adjusting it to taste.
One improvement I'd really like is that the sound stops playing when the secret door is open; But it would require to add some behavior to secret doors, so it's not totally trivial to do.
I agree that'd be nice, I may find time to tinker around and come up with something.
Shinino wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 pm It should also factor in stats, I'd think? Maybe more obvious if you have higher int or something?
Perhaps, though I'm not sure stats really would effect hearing. Maybe the Acute Hearing advantage could increase range? Though I kind of prefer to let the player just set it to what they want, and with no LOS checks the current distance is about as far as is possible without hearing doors on levels above and below the player often.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

No skill checks, this thing should be noticeable to anybody who can hear..

This mod is a go in my game, Maybe more noticeable, it's kind of hard to hear the whistling, then again I don't have music in my game I switched it all with environmental sounds.
Do the pitch thing I want to try it.

Cool mod man
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

Midknightprince wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm Do the pitch thing I want to try it.
It''s in 1.4 already :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I would prefer a simpler (less contrived) solution which would be a simple "You spot a secret door" message. Realistically there are no drafts under secret doors and you are very unlikely to hear any difference. It's in fact much more likely to hear a draft under a regular door which again just doesn't happen. I walk past doors every day and never do I know where the door is by the sound.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Eh... That's actually less realistic, isn't it? By saying "you" notice a secret door, who is "you?" If I don't but my character does that's a very real fourth-wall break right there :lol:

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm Eh... That's actually less realistic, isn't it? By saying "you" notice a secret door, who is "you?" If I don't but my character does that's a very real fourth-wall break right there :lol:
Once again PWN'D by that other Jay. "Jay notices a secret door" Now you ask "which Jay?"
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I don't know how else you would do the secret doors in DF.
The only way I could see a pop up working is if it's tied to say the sneaking/lockpicking skill (if your good enough, it goes off), that's just more work tho, if it can even be done.
I honestly think less is better if were talking about messing with the secret doors.
Classic did it well enough, and you kinda wanna have to look for this stuff anyways (or listen for it now)- they are secrets !
Just my opin....

Yeah, I saw the pitch setting in there, I guess I thought you were talking about something else.
It is kinda quiet for me, it's the no music thing, I'll tweek it in my game..
Check out my YouTube Channel!