[MOD] Drafty Secret Doors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jayhova

Re: Drafty Secret Doors Mod

Post by jayhova »

Midknightprince wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 pm I don't know how else you would do the secret doors in DF.
The only way I could see a pop up working is if it's tied to say the sneaking/lockpicking skill (if your good enough, it goes off), that's just more work tho, if it can even be done.
I honestly think less is better if were talking about messing with the secret doors.
Classic did it well enough, and you kinda wanna have to look for this stuff anyways (or listen for it now)- they are secrets !
Just my opin....

Yeah, I saw the pitch setting in there, I guess I thought you were talking about something else.
It is kinda quiet for me, it's the no music thing, I'll tweek it in my game..
I'd say a combination of luck/intelligence. Both give you a chance to spot a secret door. You might get a racial bonus (like elf). You don't really need a popup. Just a status message will do. Sneaking would give you an advantage simply because you would have more checks against finding the door. Mind you I'm not saying any of this would change the way DFU/Classic works now with checking the map being the easiest way to find secret doors.

The mechanic could go something like this: Is there a secret door in the PC's field of view? If so, How far away is it? How well illuminated it it? Make a check vs PC intelligence. On success show message. Else, Make a check vs PC luck. On success show message. Was message displayed for this door? Yes, exit else Repeat next round

I think a status message is a perfectly valid method to notify the player. You could even put a cardinal direction in the notification "You spot a secret door to the northeast"

The other thing I would like to see at some future point is a spell that causes all secret doors withing a radius to have an emitter turn on so they glow. Perhaps the whole door perhaps just the edge. The spell would also boost the chances of the PC spotting the secret door to 100% within the radius of the spell.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Paulimposteur

Post by Paulimposteur »

My dude, thanks so much. I was so frustrated because I'm awful with directions, nevermind spotting these secret doors I actually ended up not playing.

I reinstalled after I just saw this mod, and already found some secret doors. This game just got 100 times more enjoyable to me, as I feel like I can actually play without being exhausted of looking at the map over and over, and not being able to see anything.

Thanks again, I finally get to play Daggerfall without feeling like it's a job.

Falci

Post by Falci »

Not that it's the most convenient way ever, but undiscovered secret doors already appear as doors in the 3D automap mode.

I'm not sure if it's an oversight, but I use it to try and locate secret doors pretty often.

EDIT: I'm in NO way trying to invalidate this mod or the effort put in it. Just pointing out something already in the game. ;)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

In my previous post, I talked about finding secret doors within a radius. That would not work for doors behind you (for which you would have essentially zero chance of spotting). Rather a better formula would be based on distance, lighting, line of sight. As far as hearing the wind behind the door, that does not make much sense to me since normal doors (that no one has made any effort to conceal) don't do this.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I dunno, I like the idea. Obviously, it's not super realistic and quite gamey, but it's a solution which is quite subtle and seems to work. I think this will be a part of my build for the foreseeable future. :)

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

I've been using this mod for a while. Combined with Better Ambience really adds to the atmosphere and immersion of dungeons. Also gives an extra element to exploration. This just makes sense in a fantasy dungeon setting.

Classic Daggerfall has some Wind Breeze ambient sound effects that were only heard in dungeons, essentially dungeons have a draft. This is putting those kinds of sound effects to good use.

Great work!

pango

Post by pango »

I think making secret doors whistle only when closed would be a slight improvement...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kaedius

Re: [MOD] Drafty Secret Doors

Post by Kaedius »

I've refactored this to be event driven instead of the old way of checking each update and put it up on Nexus. Could this be moved to released mods as well? Thanks!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Absolutely! Moved.

Great to see you around Kaedius, I still have a massive amount of gratitude for the help you posted for me to get sign models into my guild mod. Thanks again, I so appreciated those step by step instructions!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

No problem at all! I know how annoying hopping into Blender can be, I'm glad it all worked out.