Azteca's Daggerfall Sound Replacement (ADSR)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Azteca

Re: Azteca's Sound Effects Replacement Project

Post by Azteca »

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE.

Here is a testing release of the 37 sounds I did. They have been level-matched with the originals as much as possible and conformed to 16 bit, 44.1kHz.
To install, unzip and copy to StreamingAssets (where you can find your Mods folder). So it should be /StreamingAssets/Sound.
I had to start over and am very inexperienced with playing Daggerfall so I haven't been in situations where I can test all the sounds. But I did run around the opening dungeon and outside to make sure the sounds were loading.

The complete list of sounds:
Spoiler!
AmbientDripLong.wav
ActivateGears.wav
ActivateGrind.wav
ActivateLockUnlock.wav
AmbientBirdcall.wav
AmbientCreepyBirdLaughs.wav
AmbientDripShort.wav
AmbientPeople4.wav
AmbientPeople6.wav
AmbientPeople8.wav
AmbientPeople9.wav
AmbientPeople10.wav
AmbientRaining.wav
AmbientWaterBubbles.wav
AnimalDog.wav
ArrowShoot.wav
Bells.wav
BodyFall.wav
DiceRoll.wav
FemaleGasp.wav
Goldpieces.wav
Ignite.wav
LevelUp.wav
MaleGasp.wav
OpenBook.wav
PageTurn.wav
ParchmentScratching.wav
PlayerDoorBash.wav
PlayerSwimming.wav
SpellImpactFire.wav
StormLightningThunder.wav
StormThunderRoll.wav
SwingHighPitch.wav
SwingLowPitch.wav
SwingMediumPitch.wav
WaterGentle.wav
WaterRough.wav
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ztv61pxzqga ... 7l9Va?dl=0
Last edited by Azteca on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

A few follow-up notes.

Earlier versions of DFU did not work correctly for me - certain mods, key bindings (especially mouse for attack swings). With the latest version of DFU and DREAM everything is working very very well. This means I have already done more playing today than I have in the past because it actually works right. This means it is a lot easier to tell what sounds happen the most in-game, would really benefit from replacement, and don't require extensive sound design.

-The snow footsteps especially sound bad.
-I already gathered sounds for parries but there are 9 of them and it is not particularly fun.
-Arrow hit. I already did arrow shoot.
-EnemyRat.
-EnemyHuman
-various human pain sounds
-Hit sounds

Most of these sounds are kind of boring but now that I'm actually playing, I can see how they would make a big impact.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sounds excellent, look forward to hearing what you come up with.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Bookmarking this, more sounds are welcome.

Do you think you can add correct/varying footstep sounds? I don't mean replace the existing ones but add onto them. Like... wearing leather boots should sound different to chain or metal, walking on wood should be different to stone... etc...?

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:44 am Do you think you can add correct/varying footstep sounds? I don't mean replace the existing ones but add onto them. Like... wearing leather boots should sound different to chain or metal, walking on wood should be different to stone... etc...?
This topic came up in KoW's DREAM thread.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168&p=27702#p27702

It's something I wondered about as well. Footsteps, Halt could benefit from additional sounds. There are already two footsteps each for stone, outside, snow and wood but it really is like a left and right, so only one set for each environment.
It will eventually take coding for the game to know when to trigger additional sounds. Someone will have to decide on randomness, weighting things, etc.

In the meantime I am about 10% through the existing sounds so I'm trying to keep my eye on the ball :lol: Expanding DFU's sound capabilities is for after we hit 1.0.

Something else I wonder about is all of the unused sounds and if they can be easily implemented. I count about 111 unused sounds based on Pango's cleaned sound clips vs. Interkarma's documentation.
Examples include 19 female pain sounds for the various races, 22 male pain sounds for the various races, and footsteps on metal. Another 30 are just sound effects from Arena. Some of the sounds that exist in the game already are just reused sound effects with a different file name, so I would like to give unique sounds when possible.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Azteca wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:42 pm
emmathepony wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:44 am Do you think you can add correct/varying footstep sounds? I don't mean replace the existing ones but add onto them. Like... wearing leather boots should sound different to chain or metal, walking on wood should be different to stone... etc...?
Something else I wonder about is all of the unused sounds and if they can be easily implemented. I count about 111 unused sounds based on Pango's cleaned sound clips vs. Interkarma's documentation.
Examples include 19 female pain sounds for the various races, 22 male pain sounds for the various races, and footsteps on metal. Another 30 are just sound effects from Arena. Some of the sounds that exist in the game already are just reused sound effects with a different file name, so I would like to give unique sounds when possible.
That sounds interesting they exist in the game but are unused, I'm all for cut content restoration mods.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I though Allofich had used all the pain sounds when he did a pass on combat, but it's a very vague recollection.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm I though Allofich had used all the pain sounds when he did a pass on combat, but it's a very vague recollection.
Thanks for the info. I was going solely off of the DFTools I linked. If those sounds are already reimplemented, awesome.
I spent some time today. Here's what I accomplished:

BirdCall1.wav
EnemyRatAttack.wav
EnemyRatBark.wav
EnemyRatMove.wav
Parry1.wav
Parry2.wav
Parry3.wav
Parry4.wav
Parry7.wav
PlayerFootstepSnow1.wav
PlayerFootstepSnow2.wav

Next up:
-Parries - 4 remaining.
-Arrow hit
-EnemyGiantbat (uses rat sounds in vanilla - confused me after I replaced rat sounds!)
-EnemyHuman
-various human pain sounds
-Hit sounds
-BirdCall2
-Burning (torch & regular fire)
-AmbientDoorOpen/DungeonDoorOpen

This should vastly improve my experience running around in Privateer's Hold and its snowy surroundings.

I don't want to share a new .zip every time I finish a few sounds, so here is a new link to a folder. This way, anyone interested can get new sounds in their game sooner.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ztv61pxzqga ... 7l9Va?dl=0

Azteca

Re: Azteca's Daggerfall Sound Replacement

Post by Azteca »

Also, I've changed the name to Azteca's Daggerfall Sound Replacement, or ADSR. ;) My audio folks will get it.

King of Worms

Re: Azteca's Daggerfall Sound Replacement

Post by King of Worms »

Azteca wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 pm Also, I've changed the name to Azteca's Daggerfall Sound Replacement, or ADSR. ;) My audio folks will get it.
Nice name, thanks for keeping it open. Lets see how it turns up when its done. ;)
Pain sounds are implemented, 3 for each race/gender
But I think 3rd one is never used, its the death sound
Would be cool to have em played MAYBE. Thing is, they would be triggered with a last hit, and than theres instant switch to dead body... so the sound would be emited from dead body. Might be good tho, last scream from a slain enemy! Or it would appear strange. U never know until u try. My guess is, it would be ok.