Daggerfall Main Quest 2.0

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Main Quest 2.0

Post by Jay_H »

That's true; CM August's suggestion is theoretically possible, but not something I could do nor really make a pleasant endeavor for either player or developer at this point :) I definitely agree that the freedom to choose your path is one of Daggerfall's biggest strengths; some fun comes of the world changing itself around you, and a different kind is that you get to choose how it changes. I think the two versions I'm planning here will be a good experience for both new and experienced DF players.

CM August

Post by CM August »

In case you're wondering where I was coming from, it was the idea of simulating a dynamic and conscientious DM the way Julian Jensen described in his interviews. Pidgeonholing is absolutely not what I had in mind - it's just hard to convey such a thing within the games limits. As you were. :)

Usernamicus

Post by Usernamicus »

If you could find a way to bring in The Fey or Skakmat, or any of the NPCs from Lainlyn and Anticlere, into the mix somehow then I'd be most appreciative.

Though you'd need to get someone to make a sprite for Skakmat, as he only has a dialogue portrait in the final game.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Usernamicus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 am Though you'd need to get someone to make a sprite for Skakmat, as he only has a dialogue portrait in the final game.
Well, there are already multiple tiles for a dragon in the game files, no sprite like for the other characters but still, supposedly our Skakmat.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Usernamicus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 am If you could find a way to bring in The Fey or Skakmat, or any of the NPCs from Lainlyn and Anticlere, into the mix somehow then I'd be most appreciative.

Though you'd need to get someone to make a sprite for Skakmat, as he only has a dialogue portrait in the final game.
I have a plan for Skakmat, though he will be dragonling-sized; in part because no one's awoken Alduin yet, and in part because you typically don't have a hulking 80-ton dragon as a familiar. A dragonling would be a functional pet :)

As for Lady and Lord Flyte, I'm finding it hard to find a use for them. He's almost dead and she's a criminal. They'd be an interesting story of their own, but not much to use for a main quest rewrite.

Same with Lord Kain and the Knights of the True Horn. They're deserving of their own quest line, I think.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Skakmat should be an actual dragon, like Nafaalilargus. He allied himself with mortals to keep the blades from killing him, why not Skakmat? Also it could control the weather, something that can't be done with normal magic, but can be attained via thuum. It would explain Nulfaga's ability to create a storm as well. Small dragons exist, he doesn't have to be huge but if he was meant to be a dragonling he wouldn't have been cut, they would have just recolored one.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There are two options I can use: a Skakmat that appears only via text since there's no overworld sprite for it (at least one that's usable; recycling Peryite presents problems of its own), or a Skakmat that has some possibility of appearance through a reduced size. I think the second option is more interesting than the first. Reading about a large, super-powerful dragon has some attraction but I don't think it's as fulfilling for a narrative.

Usernamicus

Post by Usernamicus »

I would say put him somewhere deep within Nufalga's castle and make him Peryite sized, but with a unique sprite (would need someone to make said sprite of course), personally.

As for Alduin's call, that plot line is kind of bullshit, really. After all in Redguard there's Nafaalilargus, in PGE1 (came with Redguard) Rust Dragons and River Drakes are said to be a thing in Cyrodiil, in Battlespire there's the very recently diseased Dragonne Papre (about 8 years before Daggerfall canonically), in Morrowind the Empire is mass producing Dragonscale armor, etc. Even in Skyrim itself there's at least 3 named dragons that didn't need to be woken up by Alduin on account of them surviving.

So I'd avoid using the "dragons have been extinct for thousands of years!" narrative that Skyrim came up with, because it doesn't really work in Skyrim itself, let alone the previous games.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, very good. I'm not excessively keen on TES lore and I'm happy to ignore Skyrim when needed :D

The respriting would be a large technical difficulty on several levels, but if it gets resolved, I could work it in one way or another.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

If I could, I might could help with creating a original sprite for Skakmat