[WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.7 [22 Sept 2020]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kaedius

Re: Airship Video

Post by Kaedius »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:53 pm That is just stupid cool. :lol: It is time to take to the sky!
That song and this one have been on constant loop in my head for the past few weeks!

Johnny4Handsome

Post by Johnny4Handsome »

This is unbelievably cool! If you could add a bed into the captain's quarters, you could truly live in the skies :lol:

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Johnny4Handsome wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:12 pm This is unbelievably cool! If you could add a bed into the captain's quarters, you could truly live in the skies :lol:
Absolutely! I planned on allowing the player to make various upgrades, and a bed that maybe fast-forwards time to the destination is on the list. I'd love to hear suggestions for things to do while blasting across the world.

One idea I had was a mounted spyglass that lets you zoom in and look around a bit. Another that I intend to do is some sort of cargo box so you can play with inventory management.

With the ability to register models and do what you want on player activation and all of Unity behind it, the possibilities are pretty amazing.

Johnny4Handsome

Post by Johnny4Handsome »

Kaedius wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am I'd love to hear suggestions for things to do while blasting across the world.
I love the ideas you've already got with the spyglass and cargo, but in case you need some more inspiration, here's a few things that spur to my mind:

1. A flag!
I was thinking that there are a number of nice banners found between the palaces of the bay; you could maybe reuse the assets? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/File:DF-banner ... _Crest.png

2. Hiring a crew?
Now, I have no idea if this is even possible, but it would be pretty cool to have a few hired hands on deck while you sail the skies. You could maybe hire them at taverns, or at a pirate guild. They wouldn't be much more than window dressing, but you could at least mod their speech to refer to you as "Captain" :lol: , or maybe boost their ability to give accurate directions!

3. Pirate Guild
As I mentioned earlier, an entire guild surrounding this ship would be sweet. You could go on cargo smuggling missions, and possibly have a swarm of harpies ambush you on your travels, or go searching a region pinned on your map for treasure left out in the wild. Lots directions to take with that.

4. Ship-to-ship combat
Now, I know this one is shooting for the stars, but running into an enemy ship and fighting between them would be insane.

5. A Crow's Nest
That'd be a nice place for your spyglass idea!

6. A Captain's Log
Just a book for the captain to write in about his/her travels.

Keeping in mind that I haven't a clue how the coding end of this works, I hope that gives you some inspiration for ideas. Keep up the amazing work :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

This is a mad, beautiful idea and we need more of it. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Now imagine NPCs with their own ships flying around.

Cyberpunk 2077: 1996 edition!

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

It makes me think of the Dwemer airship you can find in Redguard.

Spoiler for Redguard :
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/uprising

In game, I remember that normal ships are available from every port city. They make sea travel free.
It would be a good addition to have this one available from every city, anywhere. Making every travel free.

A ghost pirate crew too... :p Maybe the ghost army when after they leave Daggerfall at the end of their quest.

What happens when your drop something on the floor ? Does it stay attached to the airship ?
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

It reminded me one of my favorite games of 90s, Atlantis... watch the flying ships appearing at the 0:40 mark, just run the vid and wait.. oh man :geek: :geek: the memories! This game made me create my 1st stuff in 3DStudio

Summoning

Post by Summoning »

This is one of the most Comfy mods I ever seen!

Thank you very much! And please go on!

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Johnny4Handsome wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 am I love the ideas you've already got with the spyglass and cargo, but in case you need some more inspiration, here's a few things that spur to my mind:
Good ideas, especially the customization such as banners and flags. I probably should be focusing on how the player obtains the ship and customization in order to get the mod released, but I'm having a lot of fun adding in pirates. Currently air traffic can spawn such as merchants or civilian ships just heading to their destination. But occasionally pirates spawn that chase the player if they are currently flying somewhere.

I think I'll make all air traffic optional, and then additionally pirates, but when pirates are enabled and encountered they shoot grapeshot that target the sails and attempt to destroy them to stop the player. Or if they can get close enough, they shoot grappling hooks that snare the player ship and bring them to a halt.

Then they board and attack. It's too straight forward I think with the way piracy actually works, and I think the player should be able to submit and lose cargo or money without a fight.

I'll probably make a video soon to show off this encounter in any case, because it's fantastic seeing a ship loaded with enemies pull up and throw out boarding ropes!

But I really want to make sure these things "fit" into the Daggerfall universe. Even the physics of the ropes swaying feels out of place in a world of otherwise static objects in my opinion, but I guess using simple models for the rope helps alleviate it.

JohnBeavers wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:28 pm What happens when your drop something on the floor ? Does it stay attached to the airship ?
At the moment those items drop in the current world position and the airship blasts past them. I'm not sure of the best approach here yet, but is something I'll tackle down the road. First and foremost, I think implementing an inventory system based on the ship itself will be doable and safe.