[MOD] Longer Loiter

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Longer Loiter

Post by Hazelnut »

mikeprichard wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:46 pm Beggars being choosers again, but would it be OK to set the slider up to 24 hours instead of 12? Either way, thanks to Interkarma, Hazelnut, and ShortBeard for making this happen!
I'd rather not, as I feel that more than 12 hours would make the whole game mechanic of having to find places to sleep in towns kinda redundant. TBH, I think 12 is far too much and am only suggesting that as a compromise since this mod allowed 24. Coming in cold I would have allowed 3-6 hours as the limit. Then again, it's the players' choice I suppose. If you can justify why 24h is of value for players then I will consider it for sure. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

24 hours would just be an extension of this convenience improvement to cover the full range of time, and remember sleeping/resting still has the primary advantage of healing your character, so I don't really see this as remotely an "exploit" or in any way making resting at an inn redundant. But even with the improvement up to 12 hours instead of the full 24, this will be great to see this in game!
Last edited by mikeprichard on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

5 hours is probably the key number for me. My only need to loiter longer is this:

Arrive in town at 6:30
Walk to guild hall
Loiter for 3 hours
Loiter for 2 hours
Enter hall

The argument of obsolescence made previously is worth considering, I think.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Sorry Jay, we ninja'd each other's posts - I don't see any amount of loiter time making resting in a tavern redundant, as loiter doesn't heal the player. This was really the whole point of increasing the loiter timer in the first place, since gameplay-wise, it was another annoying little pointless clickfest! But again, I could definitely live with 3-12 instead of 3-24.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just my two cents. I don't want to squash a good mod/engine alteration :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

PR submitted with a 3-12 hour limit allowed, thanks for the discussion guys.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 pm PR submitted with a 3-12 hour limit allowed, thanks for the discussion guys.
Good decission on it not being 24h.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Wish you all were around to fix this in 1996... very nice.

Braggi

Post by Braggi »

I have to echo the sentiments of the poster above me here:
Been wishing for this since I first played DF in 1997.

Outstanding!

:D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

mikeprichard wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 pm Wish you all were around to fix this in 1996... very nice.
I was, but DFU was not. I ain't that young! :)