[MOD] Longer Loiter

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
mikeprichard

Re: [MOD] Longer Loiter

Post by mikeprichard »

Heyyy Hazelnut - I just tested the new 12-hour loiter option, and already love it, but I noticed a minor UI bug: regardless of the player's chosen setting for the maximum loiter time slider in DFU options, the popup message that appears in game when you try to exceed the maximum allowed time always reports the default "You cannot loiter for more than 3 hours at a time." Hopefully it will be possible for you to change the "3" in that message to instead display whatever maximum time is currently selected in the DFU options.

Thanks again for this great enhancement!

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I'm talking about the message that comes up if you type in more hours than the maximum. Try typing in "13" and hitting Enter and you'll see what I mean. The actual loitering is working fine; it's just that UI feedback that's off.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Its a canned piece of text from the DF datafiles, and I don't think it's worth changing. Well actually it can't be, it would need replacing making 2 messages need to be translated, maintained etc. Not worth doing. If someone raises the limit, they both know they have done so and are unlikely to hit the new limit anyway. If they do, the meaning is still very clear.

I said in my commit comment I think.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

OK, fair enough - probably not worth the trouble then.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

Ommamar wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:22 pm Since I had set it to 12 hours I didn't even think about loitering for 13, but I am able to replicate what you are saying mikeprichard.

Here is an interesting thing if you enable the longer loiter mod and type 25 hours the message will read you can't loiter for more then 24 hours.
The way my mod works is basically moving the old button out of the way, and putting my own one there which "intercepts" the loiter click and then I run my own altered versions of the methods that handle the loitering (including the 24 hour message) - so I had free reign over what it said to the user. Technically there's nothing stopping someone doing the same thing to the standard 0.10.4 DFU loiter, but I guess it's up to them in terms of how true to the original they want to keep it in terms of what strings display to the user, etc. Also like Hazelnut said, things like translation issues might come up in the future.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the explanation, ShortBeard. Would you be interested in having this moved to the "Released Mods" forum, assuming you'd be willing to keep the mod updated, since some players may still like to use your 24-hour version?

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:07 pm Thanks for the explanation, ShortBeard. Would you be interested in having this moved to the "Released Mods" forum, assuming you'd be willing to keep the mod updated, since some players may still like to use your 24-hour version?
Now that there's a built-in loiter limit remover for up to 12h in DFU 0.10.4, I'm not sure if it's really worth while having the mod over on released mods forum along side bigger overhauls and mass texture replacement mods. If someone really wants to up the limit to 24 hours that badly, maybe they can just find it on Creator's Corner, as people have done so far. I don't think there would be much to keep updated on it anyway, since the mod uses some pretty basic DFU base code that I don't think will change anytime soon. I think it might be best to just leave it here on Creator's Corner and if it needs to be changed at any point, I'll try to get on it :D

Thanks for giving so much support in this thread & to this mod, Mike!

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Sounds good, ShortBeard - I really appreciate the ideas and (unlike me) actual work you've brought to DFU base and DFU mods already! Was just looking at your new interior lighting mod, which looks crazy good, and will likely become one of my must-have graphics mods (along with DREAM, AlexSig, Distant Terrain, Enhanced Sky, and Real Grass). Thanks for sharing all of these great improvements.