BT Headbob Mod

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
BTman

BT Headbob Mod

Post by BTman »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm BT (or BTman) and I'm in the process of making a custom head bob script. It's from an fps controller I've been developing for a few months now and it was surprisingly easy to implement into Daggerfall Unity. I primarily want to emulate the feel of Quake's smooth camera roll and head bob, but with the ability for users to customize each bob and roll setting to their liking.

Currently features:
-Ability to tweak z roll and y bob magnitude and speed
-Toggles idle bob when the script detects if the player is not moving

It's more or less finished but I'd like to incorporate footstep synchronization and the the default horizontal head bob in the very near future. Anyhow, the first version should be up in the next couple of days after I iron out a few things. Any feedback or suggested features would be great.

Firebrand

Re: BT Headbob Mod

Post by Firebrand »

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Looks very interesting. I've never liked the "movement on the wheels" of original Daggerfall. I really appreciate also the idle bob script :)

I've to say, I'm looking forward to test it and tweak it... maybe after a while the movements could appear too exaggerate, only testing could tell.

One last thing: I think this MOD could pair very well with the Motion Blur feature of the Post Processing mod 8-)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Very cool! Makes the motion and combat look so much more dynamic and engaging!

Have you considered adding a raycast beneath the player every so many frames and reading the ground material to change the footstep sounds based on the surface the player is walking on? That may not actually work well in the context of DFU, but perhaps you could keep it simpler by just having a stone floor sound for most interiors, then a few sets of footstep sounds for outdoor materials: one for temperate, one for snow, and one for desert. This would take much simpler logic: bool for indoor/outdoor, then an enumerator for terrain type based on the terrain tile set that's used.

This suggestion is of course by no means necessary, but it would take it to the next level.

BTman

Post by BTman »

Firebrand wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 pm Welcome to the Forum! :)
Looks very interesting. I've never liked the "movement on the wheels" of original Daggerfall. I really appreciate also the idle bob script :)

I've to say, I'm looking forward to test it and tweak it... maybe after a while the movements could appear too exaggerate, only testing could tell.

One last thing: I think this MOD could pair very well with the Motion Blur feature of the Post Processing mod 8-)
Thanks!
I have made myself slightly dizzy a few times while wandering around outside, but this is because the default sky background also moves and rotates with your view. So it's pretty much essential that you have Enhanced Sky installed. I'll have to put in a motion sickness warning just to be safe.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I will have to try it while playing to get the full effect I think but it is an interesting idea.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Wait, didn't MetioricDragon add this to DFU last year? I have it switched off for personal preference, but the feature was definitely in DFU and doesn't need to be added by mod. he put a lot of refinement into it, like the effect is more pronounced when running that when walking etc. Enabled on the pause menu.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's an alternate headbob, made more for an FPS feel. If you played Quake it's quite a bit like that.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is wonderful. I'll be recommending this to players using my combat overhaul mod, whenever I get it released. Thanks for the work. Feels far more realistic and natural.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

This looks really cool, and I think would work well in conjunction with an overhauled combat system, which is also being discussed in the Creator's Corner as we speak. :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Is there a dl for this ?
It looks awesome, and I'd like to try it..
Check out my YouTube Channel!