HD sprites & portraits

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
daggerdude

Re: HD sprites - 23 years later

Post by daggerdude »

dude, looks awesome.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nordman, is this project in progress or on hold? If its on hold, care to share?

Nordman

Post by Nordman »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am Nordman, is this project in progress or on hold? If its on hold, care to share?
Hello King of Worms :)

For some reason i can't get my weapon/paperdoll sprites to work ingame. However i'm trying to update the ingridients wich will be easier to implement (well, at least i suppose).

Here's an exemple :
Attachments
Ingredients_DU.png
Ingredients_DU.png (444.23 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nordman wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm
King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am Nordman, is this project in progress or on hold? If its on hold, care to share?
Hello King of Worms :)

For some reason i can't get my weapon/paperdoll sprites to work ingame. However i'm trying to update the ingridients wich will be easier to implement (well, at least i suppose).

Here's an exemple :
Hi, Im glad you are still around. Nice ingredients! ;)

Well weapons/armors need to have their material name in the file name. Like this:
233_0-0_Adamantium.png
233_0-0_Adamantium.png (30.68 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
And clothing has to have a die color like this:
235_32-0_Grey.png
235_32-0_Grey.png (179.04 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Some basic info can be found here:
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... /textures/

To make it more complicated, some clothing parts dont have color variants, but u need to create the files like if they did, just use the same base texture, like this: (same goes to blue, purple etc)
235_19-0_Yellow.png
235_19-0_Yellow.png (114.77 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

Anyway, here is the full upscaled export of every item paperdoll has, plus some inputs from me and Adrinus.
Its the best way to get started. All the naming is done, etc... https://uploadfiles.io/xa9tduf1

I would like to let you know about this project, which is focused on paperdoll system as well. It would make sense to coordinate with Sitrus, so you dont work on the same items. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2745&start=50

I hope this helps you with the project. As Ive said, this is hardly a work one man can do on his own, so we (Adrinus and me) provide this basic template to build upon. And other ppl work on improving it.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Nordman wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm
However i'm trying to update the ingridients wich will be easier to implement (well, at least i suppose).

Here's an exemple :
I like them a lot ;) :shock:

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 pm Anyway, here is the full upscaled export of every item paperdoll has, plus some inputs from me and Adrinus.
Its the best way to get started. All the naming is done, etc... https://uploadfiles.io/xa9tduf1
What model(s) did you use for the upscale?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:11 pm
King of Worms wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 pm Anyway, here is the full upscaled export of every item paperdoll has, plus some inputs from me and Adrinus.
What model(s) did you use for the upscale?
Nothing extra fancy I guess. It was done by Adrinus. Lady? Manga? Not sure. If you up for redoing that, it would be really the best idea to contact Adrinus, and he might send you the full original res exports plus all additional info

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:01 pm If you up for redoing that
Nah, I was just being curious so far. I'm still stuck on CPU (it seems that my NVIDIA card is too old for this) which limits my operations if free time weren't the only issue, so I'm not exactly in a good position to offer substantial help with actually processing any amount of sprites.

I wasn't able to download the entire archive from the link you provided, it goes too slow for me to get over 1GiB in reasonable time. But from what Sitrus showed in the other thread (specifically here where you can see the staircase pixel effect on the cape and other parts, and also here on the foot) it seemed to me that there could be some roughness on the edges, although perhaps those are results from before neural upscales were used.

With the right combo of pre-processing and neural network employed, the sprite edges come out super smooth.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MrFlibble wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:57 pm
King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:01 pm If you up for redoing that
Nah, I was just being curious so far. I'm still stuck on CPU (it seems that my NVIDIA card is too old for this) which limits my operations if free time weren't the only issue, so I'm not exactly in a good position to offer substantial help with actually processing any amount of sprites.

I wasn't able to download the entire archive from the link you provided, it goes too slow for me to get over 1GiB in reasonable time. But from what Sitrus showed in the other thread (specifically here where you can see the staircase pixel effect on the cape and other parts, and also here on the foot) it seemed to me that there could be some roughness on the edges, although perhaps those are results from before neural upscales were used.

With the right combo of pre-processing and neural network employed, the sprite edges come out super smooth.
Got it :) Well the staircase effect on the hoodies was caused by something else than ESRGAN upscale. Those were not created by me nor Adrinus I guess. You can see our upscales on this page, the axe etc.. it has some artifacts at the borders tho :X But given the fact these are basically a blueprint for next input of the artist, I think it serves its purpose enough.

Really, the most important thing here was to get ALL the items in ALL the materials variants (and color variants in case of clothing) out of the game, than increase its resolution to the size where artist can start to work on it. Im glad that its done and that ppl find it usefull.

Theres IMO no silver bullet algo which can make everything look fine and ESPECIALLY fit fine. The fitting is problematic, it must be almost pixel perfect. So for example the insides of the cloaks perfectly fit on the new bodies. That will never automatically happen with any upscales Im affraid. This paperdoll is really a tough nut to crack...

Im glad it gained some momentum now, and that I can provide this blueprints, the supporting frame for testing (new console spawn commands) and also support the artists by dealing with bugs, which there are many...

Sitrus really took it seriously, hes a great artist and most importantly he has a dedication which is crucial here. Many ppl came with few parts of armor etc. Than they left and its gone....

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:06 pm Really, the most important thing here was to get ALL the items in ALL the materials variants (and color variants in case of clothing) out of the game, than increase its resolution to the size where artist can start to work on it.
This is exactly the reason why I hesitated even considering any attempt at upscale except for testing purposes. There are so many clothing item colours and materials, with no easy way to do colour changes after the upscale unless you want to drop back to the original 8-bit palette which doesn't really look good on the enlarged images.

BTW, did you do 8x or 16x upscales, or both?