Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by l3lessed »

I'm still in good health and hanging around. I'm swamped with other real life projects. My wife needs a professional web page for her practice, my work got crazy, and been traveling because of the holidays.

This is still in my mind, and I plan to return. I'm so close to a first release. Just one big bug I had left with the stab animations. Anyways, yes, still here, still plan on working and releasing this, and have larger long term plans for the mod as a stand alone branch.

So, once I can get back to this, I only have 2 things to do:
1. Figure out why movement affects the positioning of the frame offset larp code.
2. Update the branch to the newest release of DFU.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lovely, thanks for the update! This will be a must have mod when its ready and I cant wait to see it work together with the HD handheld weapons mod. :ugeek:

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Spent a few hours moving this to 10.21. In the process, cleaned up some sloppy code and did a small pass on the animation offset loop to get in working and showing in 10.21; a small change in the base fpsscript file screwed with it a little. Raycasting needs little tweaking, as the updates seemed to mess with it a little.

With the sad news of the virus going around, I will probably have more time to kill at home. I'll be working on this at times, if that's the case.

I have an idea for what is causing the stab bug that is stopping progression. I'll look into it when I have some more time. Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Man, this looks awsome. Is this still aimed at only using standard DFU? Or did you need to make your own build?

Looking at the features list, the aim of this mod is to change how combat physically works in the game right? Not the RPG mechanics behind the curtain, but to move the game away from just having a sprite pass accross thescreen and leave everything up to the dice?
I ask because I've started looking at doing some kind of major overhaul of the combat formulas. The actual toHit chances, how armor works etc. And that would probably go pretty well together with this mod. But with the override functions it's hard to have two mods that are too close in purpose without one just overriding parts of the other.

And yeah, this self-quarantine is going to produce some mods :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I plan on keeping it as my own branch for now. The offsetting is extremely fps/time sensitive. As an example, at 60fps and the fastest attack speed, the animation can do a max of 3 offsets between the next sprite change. This comes down to .015 seconds between each offset. If FPS and total offsets are not calculated ahead of time, the frame offsetting actually slows down attack animation speeds and doesn't stick with default DFU speeds. Think of it this way, the attack speed can only go as fast as the animation can move, and the animation can only move as fast as the players frame/cpu updates, so all this has to be calculated on every cpu cycle and updated in the animation offset loop to make the animation as smooth as possible and keep it true to default engine speeds.

Because of how small the time frames are on the code and it being so fps sensitive, I plan on running it as its own branch. However, I do not see why all mods should not work just fine. I am not touching anything in the core code that should touch other parts of the game engine or effect how the core of it runs. I've merely added an animation loop to the FPSWeapon script, added a raycast loop to the Weaponmanager, inserted a small movement modifier trigger to Weaponmanager, and then inserted in custom range and speed attribute to the items and related scripts (which both will just go back to default values if not assigned by the engine/modder). No base objects or related coding and script files have been modified or changed; If I need something done, I code in my own objects and triggers so to keep base code functioning as true to form as possible. As a result, I need to be as close to the base engine and script files as possible to ensure no loss of cpu cycles/frames that would really slow down and throw off how the offsetting is working.

I do not like deleting and chopping up clean, functioning code unless there is no other choice; I'll almost always put in some form of a trigger to jump back to base code to ensure only my specific edits are ran only when needed. So, I believe, with your mod, it should work just fine. It will update all the values as base DFU engine would, and then just default my custom object weapon reach and speed values to base engine. You could even add custom ranged and weapon speeds if you wanted through the public objects I put into the Weaponmanager script file and release a more specialized version for my branch. Will see on release I guess.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Good news, just hammered out one bug and, without me knowing it, it also took care of the stab bug.

Proper triggers have been put into the FPSWeapon script to ensure bow mechanics remains safely running off original code execution flow. Now bows run normal and can be used either default mode or hold/draw-back mode.

It seems, when I moved one anime record object further down in the code flow to allow offsetting first, it screwed up both how the stab and bow animation render. It makes sense now, as both stabbing and bow attacks use the same weapon state trigger (up attack) to run their animation code properly. By messing with the code flow and not putting in proper triggers to maintain the original code flow between by additions, it fubared it all up.

And, this is why, as I stated above, I never try to hacksaw out original code and instead go for code preservation and coding triggers to jump between additions and the original instead. It might be a little more complicated and require more considerations during the coding cycle, but its worth it because of what I talk about in the above two posts.

Run through this a little more, smooth out animations some more, and then possibly that long awaited release. At this point, I believe all major bugs stopping a release should be hammered out though.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice seeing this progress happening!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Small Update:

I some how broke my 3 year old Skyrim build that has 400+ mods and countless hours. Point being, I'm taking a break from Skyrim, as I don't want to dump hours into tracking down the bug in my super modded build, which brings me to working on this project.

Did another pass of FPSWeapon script and maximized some code flow. Frame offsetting calculations will now only happen on every frame change to limit small animation skips and help on cpu cycle load. Before, it was calculated on every single offset, which led to animations speeding up or slowing down mid animation because of the changes in the values.

The actual offsetting is done now by a mathf.lerp. It calculates the time percentage since the beginning of the animation has passed, pulls the max offsetting value needed (which I coded to be calculated automatically), and then lerps the value/offset to the proper position based on how much time in the total animation time has passed. This also gets rid of having to manually calculate offset values and trying to get them to line up for each weapon since mathf.lerp calculates it based on animation time itself.

On to cleaning up melee combat animations, doing a pass on Weaponmanager and the movement system, and then I think I'll drop first alpha with github at that point.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Now you're getting closer to finished it will be good to see what you needed to change inside DFU code and whether this could be enabled as a mod at some point. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods