Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
BadLuckBurt

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Ommamar wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 am No rush but I would love to see you release the current form of this mod when you feel it is polished enough before you move on to this.
I think he already did

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2533
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:58 am
Ommamar wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 am No rush but I would love to see you release the current form of this mod when you feel it is polished enough before you move on to this.
I think he already did

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2533
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Yeah, the github version I believe i stable enough for a play through. There isn't a ton more work to do on the animations themselves, past refining numbers and code. Doing the last two attacks would add them to the random attacks when standing still. I guess I should just begin work on them so I can figure out how hard/long it will take. I'm concerned these will be the hardest to do because they change positions on both the X and Y grid. Well lets see.

But, you should be able to play the github release I provided, and I don't think it will have any massive issues I know of coding wise. Plus, I need some early testers to see how it works over a long play through and give ideas on refinement/balance.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

your_dog

Post by your_dog »

Hi

since it's almost complete I would like to use this for my first playthrough of daggerfall so would somebody mind sending me a compiled version of the github for me? I don't know how to use the Unity Editor to compile it & the Unity editor keeps crashing which prevents me from trying to compile it myself

and yes I know the github version is running on 0.10.21 not 0.10.22

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm glad to see people wanting to do playthroughs with this. I need to start getting feedback for long term balance and mechanics tuning. I also am positive their are probably bugs somewhere I created without realizing it, and I need people to track any down.

Give me a little bit, and I will put up a compiled version for testers. :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Also, work on an independent dodge module mod is progressing.

I got the mod file setup and running, with save data.

The time consuming part yesterday was figuring out how to move the player in a natural way. I first tried forcing the playermotor to move using a direct vector position data point, and even got it tied to a vector3 lerp calculator. Made some really cool movement patterns using graphing curve calculations, but there was no hit detection for world space, so through walls I went.

So, I looked up the controller object, tied it to playermotor, and used the built in .move and .simplemove object references to move the player and allow for world space detection. However, this created unnatural knockback type effects, instead of natural lerped smoothed movements. I was thinking that would happen, and why I avoided using it. The original purpose of the functions was for the knock-back effect.

Finally, after slamming my head against different math functions and time calculations, I figured out to multiply my timing lerping calculation with my motion variable when executing the .move controller object. Here's the basic setup with explanation. All you need to know how to do from here is tie the object your manipulating to the charactercontroller object and drop it into an update routine of some type to keep it moving/calculating. At some point, I need to compile all this into a modders documentation assist file.

Code: Select all

//total time of lerping/calculation execution.
DodgeTime = .3f

//multiplies by the vector direction to get total distance traveled over lerp calculation.
dodgingdistance = .3f;

//calculates the time since the last frame and adds it to a var counter to get time pass since execution of code flow.
TimeCovered += Time.deltaTime;

//percentage completed in lerping calculation
fractionOfJourney = TimeCovered / DodgeTime;

//recalculates percentage time complete to create an ease in curve effect for more natural movement. Can use any math graphing function to mimic whatever lerp type movements you want. Or remove it for a 1:1 linear movement speed.
fractionOfJourney = Mathf.Sin(fractionOfJourney * Mathf.PI * 0.5f);

//sets the direction and distance of the movement; the larger the number, the further the movement the more pronounced the math function will be too.
motion = transform.forward * dodgingdistance;

//uses controller object to execute said movement push. If you wish to stop the player from doing any movement to affect 
//this movement, lock down their key controls for the duration of the lerping calcluation.
//they can still move around to affect this forced movement, if they are allowed to.
playerController.Move(motion * (fractionOfJourney));
Heres an example of movement lerping in action:

Now, I'm trying to decide how to mimic the dodge, and I think I'm going to go with a more realistic feign type system. I don't want to do a fantasy type roll system (I'll add an option after for melee and short weapon users, like monks). So, the way it is being setup so far is you initiate a dodge, and your character pulls back in a natural motion, making you dodge/immune to damage for half a second, then you move back forward automatically to re-engage into your combat position you were in. I'll add a small head down movement, and small bob while in feign stance to mimic natural defensive movement. This will be for backward and side dodges.

The forward dodge will work a little different. It will mimic a down forward head fake. That is, the player will move toward the attack, but move their upper body down and to the opposite side of the attack, so they can feign under the enemies attack and end up on the backside of the enemy. In character movement, the forward dodge will move you forward, while moving the camera down and sideways a little, while it eases you in and out of the dodge.

I just need to get the two part feign system setup up. I have the initial dodge working with whatever lerp movement functions I want.
Last edited by l3lessed on Fri May 01, 2020 12:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, Basic Dodge Mod code structure is up, cleaned, and working.

As of now, it executes three different routines to do the full dodge.

Dodge starts -> FeignOut moves you backwards -> FeighWait keeps you sitting back in a defensive feign position for small invuln window frame -> FeignIn moves you forward back into normal offensive stance -> Dodge Ends.

From here, I'm going to rework the code to create a push/wait loop. At that point, it will allow me to move a player anywhere I want, in any direction, with any pause window between those movements.This may be needed in future features, or for other mods and modders.

Taking a break to work on actual work things now.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Dodge 1.0A is done. I'll put it up under its own mod section, but it will be compiled with combat overhaul too, as a mod that comes with it.

From now on, this is how I will be trying to develop all future features for Combat overhaul. They will be developed as stand alone mod packages, so I can also release them for base users too, and allow for easy feature toggling in combat overhaul.

I'll provide an explanation in the mod section area today of how it works.

In basic terms, the higher your agility, the lower the fatigue cost, the further you move, and the longer you can be dodging/hit immune, maxing at .5 second dodge/invuln with a decent movement distance.

mushr00m3717

Post by mushr00m3717 »

l3lessed wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:25 pm Dodge 1.0A is done. I'll put it up under its own mod section, but it will be compiled with combat overhaul too, as a mod that comes with it.

From now on, this is how I will be trying to develop all future features for Combat overhaul. They will be developed as stand alone mod packages, so I can also release them for base users too, and allow for easy feature toggling in combat overhaul.

I'll provide an explanation in the mod section area today of how it works.

In basic terms, the higher your agility, the lower the fatigue cost, the further you move, and the longer you can be dodging/hit immune, maxing at .5 second dodge/invuln with a decent movement distance.
Sounds great, looking forward to it! Any possibility of also providing a compiled version of your github fork at the same time? For us unable to install unity and compile it our self.
Thank you

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Sure thing. I was hoping to move it to 10.22 and include the dodge module before.

However, I hit an unforeseen issue with the dodge module and getting it to run on the stand alone game. If I can't get it resolved in next day or so, I'll provide what I have.