Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ommamar

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the encouragement. To give you a probable time frame for first release, I'm thinking within a month if no large things come up; Will still be a seperate unity build for first release. I think I'll be home alone most this weekend, so, I'm hoping to get some things hammered out on between personal/gaming time.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I finished the four main animations for the flail finally.

These ones are trickier than the swords, as there are more moving parts. I had to hijack certain frames and flip them and then offset them during specific animation frames. In the long run, I like the result. Took some time though, but helped me learn more about the current sprite gui system.

I also added a small animation speed boost to a few frames to simulate the natural inertia of physical weight. As an example, down swings pick up speed over the time frame of their animation. The flail left and right swings pick up speed as they enter the top of their arc, and slow down as they exist, simulating the inertia of the metal ball.

On to fists, daggers, and mace, and then first set of animations are done. I won't be doing animation work on the left down or right attack on the first release. Those will be added to the second release. I am sticking to up, down, left, and right, as those are tied to the movement direction and attack button combination. This allows attack type choice by using movement key direction plus attack key to initiate that attack type.

I switched back bobbing sprites to the default so there wouldn't be issues with default enchanted weapons. As a result, some of them have clipping issues, but it is a quick fix. Ignore it in the video.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Whew, this is fantastic stuff. What an improvement.

Out of curiosity, what's the swing speed used there as the Speed attribute? 50 Speed?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head. Just some random character I created for testing.

I can tell you, the animation system I'm using, takes the default animation time that is computed by the formulas, divides it up, and then starts the offsetting. So, it shouldn't matter your attack speed, if I get my formulas correct.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, good. It seemed a bit slow compared to what I'm used to, but that's presumably because the base character is slow. I'll assume this won't adversely affect swing speed.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

It should not. When finished, all numbers should be based off the players attack speed after all modifiers. I'm not forcing or hard coding in anything for the attack speed, past using it to figure out the proper animation timing for offsets and their amount.

The current animation system grabs the attack speed then uses a formula to compute the animation attack speed and then assigns that to each 1 of the 5 frames to get a total attack animation done. So technically, the actual attack time would be the assigned animation time * 5.

I merely hijack this process, divide it by 12 for each frame, and then insert offsets based on animation time assigned. So technically, my animations approximate a 60 or so fps animation by taking the 5 animation frames and dividing them into 12 offset frames (12 * 5 = 60 frames over the time of the animation).

Might be over explaining.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sure, it's great to see a little under the hood :) I'm sure you're doing it fine, and your explanation makes clear that the base gameplay won't be negatively impacted.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

What your describing makes no sense to me from the engine coding perspective.

All attack speeds are set based on a single formula. All the mouse swing attacks do is wait for the player to go over a certain yaw angle, then it triggers the exact same attack animation and raycasting as the click type attacks. There is no difference when it comes to attack speeds and animations. They all pull from the same routines, formulas, and scripts. It probably felt slower because it is harder to initiate the attacks using the dragging, so it seems more sluggish. However, the animations and attack speeds are the same always, no matter what in default DFU.

My mod adds small attack speed variations based on weapon weight and range. However, that is not built into default DFU. All weapons have same range and attack speed in default DFU.

And yes, the kick animation will be the backwards movement + attack. Plan on adding a small push bonus to that attack too to give it more of a distinct kick feel and add a little variety and complexity to melee combat.