Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, I know its too early for this but I have confirmed that DFU and Daggerfall currently use 1st person handheld weapons where there is 1 displayed length of a sword for all 3 types of equipped swords (short, medium, long) - meaning - the equipped Tanto looks the same in your hands, as Dai Katana or Broad sword.

In the game files, there are unused archives where these sword types have different length, so I think its possible to assume that Bethesda planned to represent each sword length with each own sprite set?

Now, in your mod you manipulate the weapons, so I had the idea it might be possible to code this in the mod.

Short sword equipped -> 50% of length of the Long sword
Medium sword equipped -> 75% length of the long sword
Long sword equipped -> 100% length same as current one

This could by done by cutting out the lower portion of the image by 25% or 50% while keeping whole frame tied to the bottom of the screen. Or maybe any other method to push the sword blade down, so it appears shorter on the display.

I know its beyond the scope of this mod, but I had this Idea that it might be a nice later expansion of a Combat overhaul maybe :)

Just a idea, sorry for offtopic

EDIT: The Equip/holster animation could be made smooth now as well? As it is at the moment, the weapon just appears/disappears in one frame :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This could probably be done by manipulating the render pixel code. There is code that takes the original asset and resizes it to fit whatever modern display the user is using. I don't think it would be hard to adjust the blade size by dividing the end output result by whatever you want. So, tantos could be a 3rd the size/length, so multiply the end value by .33f. This is the code I'm already hijacking for my frame offsetting. I'm just changing the render position versus the render size.

I'm almost ready to drop. Finished the wearcreature animations. I'm just doing another pass of the movement modifier system. Changes going to 10.21 forced me to start the movement code from scrap again. It's cool though, I want to get as many features tied to console commands to toggle and manipulate them. This gives me a a chance to tie the movement modifiers to a console command value, like I've done with the animation lerp values and system.

yes, technically the holster animation could be smooth, but I think it would be a little extra work. It currently has no actual tie in to the animation render system. It just triggers a render or not render code.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Movement modifier system is updated. It now is only 7 lines of code in the speedchanger script. It also ties into my fpsconsole script and allows you to modify both the sheathed and attack movement speed modifiers for testing or just customizing your game experience. Again, all console commands can be found at the front of the thread. I'm going to get up a github of it now, and I will probably drop first developer release this week.

I'm thinking movement modifiers should be inherently affected by the item weight and range. The larger, heavier the weapon, the more it slows you down.

So far, I'm liking the feel. I'm finding myself switching weapon types more based on the situation and environment I'm in. I also find myself thinking about the type of attack I use and the timing of it. Now, I seem to pull shorter weapons or rely on stabs more if I am in closed spaces, like long hallways or small rooms.

I've added the unique blade looks and unique movement modifiers based on weapons range and weight to the to do list on the first post.

Github is up: https://github.com/l3lessed/CO-DF-Unity-10.21

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Try the link again. I had it set to Private on accident.

Yes, I'm think in dropping a built release for the forum trolls that lerk these parts.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm going to slow down my updates on the forum, now that I have a github up. I'll save updates here for larger coding markers.

Last update as of most recent github push:
  • Melee animations are much better. Also, unique raycast hit detection loops were created for melee weapons to mimic the animations movement and ensure better hitobject line up.
  • Blade down strike animations are much better; You can see the hilt of the blade when you start the down swing now.
  • Flail down strike has been vastly improved. All sprite cutoff has been removed. Found a better sprite to use for the first frame from the flail animation sets. Now it looks like the flail is flying out from behind your head and away from you.
  • Recoil animation improved a tiny bit. Recoil animation renders all animation frames in reverse to idle position. Helps with appearance of disappearing weapon when weapon would hit an object on the first render frame and recoil would default to idle position without rendering the hit frame one more time.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I've decided the animation system is at a complete enough stage that I can move on to the next two large items I want to do for a full release. I've added the dodge mechanic to the front page list with explanation of my thoughts on it.

Where is the animation system currently?
Right now, all weapons have four directional attacks smoothed out. I have not smoothed out the down left and down right animations, as they are harder to do and don't currently work within my movement based attack direction system. I plan on putting them in at a later date, and use them in something like short attack combos: swing right, click attack at the end of the swing, start down right attack immediately. Attacks should trace and smooth no matter user fps and attack speed. Weapon bob is in and working without an issue. Basic recoil animation loop and specific recoil animation speed is set (will refine further in future releases). Arc hit trace seems to line up pretty well with the vast majority of attacks; the stab and down animation can use little more work with lining up hit arc and animation position. movement modifiers are in for both unsheathed state and attack state (Will refine more later on). console commands are in for messing with all these features for early players to help in debug and balance (plan on putting in a more comprehensive console system in future).

What is coming?
I began my dodge coding today. Before I begin working on blocks and parries, I want to get in a basic dodge system. One thing that bugs me about old daggerfall is the random roll based dodge system; it makes it hard to know how to engage targets at time because you can just have a bad string of rolls that screws your encounter up. I want to create an actual dodge replication. This will be done through the follow code flow.

Dodge initiated ->Code forces player to lower weapon -> code forces player to crouch -> code pushes/moves the player at a set speed in dodge direction -> for set time interval player takes no damage during roll/dodge -> player leaves crouch -> player readies weapon.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I get what your saying, and that makes sense. I could just move the idle weapon position to mimic a defense posture during roll.

As for crouching, I could try repositioning the camera manually instead of using the build in crouching routine.

This will be a slow progress thing I'm feeling, as I'm also trying to learn how to move code into my own scripts and make it efficiently interact with the games base scripts. Next development phase, I want to try to transition to independent script files as much as possible.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:03 pm I get what your saying, and that makes sense. I could just move the idle weapon position to mimic a defense posture during roll.

As for crouching, I could try repositioning the camera manually instead of using the build in crouching routine.

This will be a slow progress thing I'm feeling, as I'm also trying to learn how to move code into my own scripts and make it efficiently interact with the games base scripts. Next development phase, I want to try to transition to independent script files as much as possible.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.