Mesh Replacement Test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Arl

Re: Mesh Replacement Test

Post by Arl »

Hey, this promises to be fun.

I'm going to start messing around with doors, to see what comes up.

ImageImage

-
TheLacus wrote:Do not look at textures, these are vanilla. I remade models to give thickness to the walls, the originals are on the left.
And I also noticed that you tweaked/fixed the UV maps, good job.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

cool. With the new interior lighting/shadows I realized that the original door models are a bit too small (light is coming through the door below and especially above it). Maybe we could fix this along the way. It does not need to fit prefectly in the door frame, but it would be cool if the light coming through is reduced.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Hey, this promises to be fun.

I'm going to start messing around with doors, to see what comes up.
TheLacus wrote:Do not look at textures, these are vanilla. I remade models to give thickness to the walls, the originals are on the left.
And I also noticed that you tweaked/fixed the UV maps, good job.
Thank you, good work with the door :)

I started working on the cemetery bush. Of course this is a work in progress, i need to improve the structure and make it more flourishing.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

A bit more developed

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Wow this looks incredible

Arl

Post by Arl »

I added more details:

-
Looks great, maybe you should increase the leaves amount to achieve thickness, make it more like hedgerows and not so much like normal bushes.

Also, beware of the polycount.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

TheLacus wrote:
Nystul wrote:looks pretty good!
Thank you.
I don't know if this has been discussed before (i searched the forum but found nothing) but some of the paintings (.cif files) are famous classics which have high resolution pictures released in the public domain, for example on wikimedia commons. I wonder if we could use these ones in daggerfall. If that's the case we would actually face the opposite problem, rather than upscaling them we would need to make sure they don't look out of place.
I like it. I like it alot. I'd say go ahead and make a plugin out of it so the users can choose for themselves.

As for the legal fearmongering, that's best left to the lawyers. If you aren't a lawyer it's best not to comment on law, I've found. I think that if a painting is in the public domain then it's in the public domain, especially if it's coming from a site that's sharing public domain digital versions. That's my common sense advice. However --

If there's any doubt about this, you can send an email to the Electronic Frontier Foundation about it, and they have a battery of professional legal consults that are second to none, since they are in a continual battle with the opposing evil forces of greed and stupidity on a regular basis, on a planetary scale. That would clear up the fog of war.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

awesome door!
Do all doors! :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes the doors really look GREAT with the added thickness and details, also the graves with thick walls instead of flat ones, the signs or the cart - all looks great. I just dont enjoy the replaced mesh of the Cemetery bush too much, I think it looks very different than the original. But I get it as a test version with a chance of improvement :) Thanks for your work, much appreciated!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Arl wrote: Looks great, maybe you should increase the leaves amount to achieve thickness, make it more like hedgerows and not so much like normal bushes.
Also, beware of the polycount.
Vertex limit is indeed a problem since hedgerows in daggerfall are made of pretty long models. I modified the shape taking into account this, of course there is room for improvements. I recreated new textures from scratch, these ones are more similar to vanilla (leaves are green with yellow undertones) but i'm still working on them.
I worked on other graveyard models, too. Textures are vanilla, they look different because of lighting/i took pictures in different softwares/textures imported from daggerfall assets look pixelated but sharper than the same textures imported from resources folder (i believe the latter ones are automatically upscaled by unity).
I don't know if this is a bug or something but the game uses a different texture than the one showed in daggerfall modelling.
DU uses texture.341-0-0 while DM apparently uses texture.341-2-0. I took the screenshots in The Ashley Cemetery (Glenpoint).

PS. Sorry for the long post but i can't get the spoiler tag to work anymore :|