Mesh Replacement Test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Biboran

Re: Mesh Replacement Test

Post by Biboran »

Regarding objects in daggerfall, and creating a list. That would be really awesome! :) It's a bit of a challenge however and you need to take a few things into consideration. The first thing being seasons, with most of the exterior texture and flats having winter versions of themselves. The second is that all 3D objects exists as separate entities even when they only differ in rotation and scale. I noticed this when creating the replacement mesh for the wooden box. There are about 20 different boxes in the game, but there are only 2 styles of them, the other 18 are only rotation and scale variations of these two, so in order to replace all the boxes in the game, I needed to rotate/scale them in blender (the 3D modeling program I use) and then export all these 20 different versions as separate mesh files. Sadly, a bit of a pain, but it is what is is
At this time I have plans to organize only 2d objects, 3d objects is total mess for me at that time :)
I'll go to the south from the Arctic Circle for my travel in ~27 Jule, so I be not available for two weeks too, so don't worry :D
I'll start working on it now, since I sort of have some spare time. I'll fill them in as I upload them, which will take awhile.
Daggerfall Imaging 2 says that (all of this is textures with rocks and trees)

TEXTURE.500 Rain Forest
TEXTURE.501 Sub_Tropical
TEXTURE.502 Swamp
TEXTURE.503 Desert
TEXTURE.504 Tmperate woodland
TEXTURE.505 Snow woodland
TEXTURE.506 Woodland Hills
TEXTURE.507 Snow woodland Hills
TEXTURE.508 Haunted woodland
TEXTURE.509 Snow Haunted Woodland
TEXTURE.510 mountians
TEXTURE.511 Snow Mountians
And this texture of rocks and trees is separate from others and I don't know why:
TEXTURE.005 Steppes

So basicaly trees and related things are simplest to to organize. So if anyone want to... like it says in Morrowind big projects "claim" this, this is a good point to start :D

Another Interesting textures is
TEXTURE.053 Signs
TEXTURE.100 temp E3 Flats
TEXTURE.101 temp E3 lights
TEXTURE.212 Outdoor

This is basicaly easest things to model, but for me very important to be in 3d, and my friend start from this.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'll put priority on those then. Thanks for pointing them out. Daggerfall has a lot of duplicate images, so I'm not sure whether I'll just upload the duplicates or mark the second folder as a duplicate. I'll see when I get there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm gradually putting them in, and it'll take awhile longer, but I'm trying to prioritize meaningful objects instead of walls and floors. A few recommendations for easy places to start would be Textures 200, 203, 205, 207, 208, 209, and 210. I'll just be updating this post and the one after it, and I'll likely post again once everything is uploaded.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Thanks! I also had an update
New version use textures based on original sprite
Test texture for swamp version. Soon on this models will be vines and thickets like in original sprite

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Not bad! Now it looks like the original really has been upgraded.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

This may be a dumb question, but are we looking at the possibility of replacing 2d npc sprites with 3d entities?

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

It possible, of course, but not in my current plans. If you are 3d modeller, why not, you can do anything.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Biboran wrote:It possible, of course, but not in my current plans. If you are 3d modeller, why not, you can do anything.
I guess I am still getting my head around the possibilities of the Unity game engine. It is astounding, but it seems as tho there is no limit now on how far Daggerfall could go, with 3 dimensional npc and character sprites, 3d trees and props....it's completely amazing.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not a programmer so I don't have even a percent of the vision others do, but two statements by more capable people than myself explain it well:
LypyL wrote:Anything that Unity recognizes as an asset can be included into mods.
Interkarma wrote:As mod creators grow in experience and the underlying code is expanded to provide more options almost anything will be possible down the road.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Jay_H wrote:I'm not a programmer so I don't have even a percent of the vision others do, but two statements by more capable people than myself explain it well:
LypyL wrote:Anything that Unity recognizes as an asset can be included into mods.
Interkarma wrote:As mod creators grow in experience and the underlying code is expanded to provide more options almost anything will be possible down the road.

I tell you what...it's one thing to hear the project founder say that anything will be possible down the road, but it's entirely another thing to look at Cristalnoir's work with 3d trees, water translucency, shorelines, and water reflections; and have your mind blown.

This whole project is the sole best tribute to the greatness of the original game that could have ever been. For the founder Interkarma, thanks is just not enough.