[Quests] Black Horse Courier, Iliac Bay Edition (WIP, current version: 0.5)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: [Quests] Black Horse Courier, Iliac Bay Edition (WIP, current version: 0.2)

Post by Hazelnut »

Hey, welcome back. Glad to see you will be continuing development of this.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:47 pm Hey, welcome back. Glad to see you will be continuing development of this.
Well, it slowly gets late summer / autumn, so The Elder Scrolls draw me in again, inevatibly. :)

I'm really looking forward to the first version of your Roads mod. It will be a great addition to my quest's "travel guide" books :D

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Thanks to hazelnut's help, the next version will be published as .dfmod. This was necessary because of a few added new locations, and because the number of loose files in various folders would be a bit much now. The story of the next version focuses on the region Tulune.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I am still working daily on the next update.

In the previous version, the included texts assumed that "Distant Terrain" is installed and used with its Improved Terrain option, i.e. higher mountains. The hiking descriptions assume this.

I have decided that in the next version I will change this and update the descriptions accordingly. I will assume that both "Interesting Terrain" and "Basic Roads" are installed. "Interesting Terrain" is so beautiful and feels very natural, and "Basic Roads" provides a lot of context to the locations.

I know that currently both can't be combined.

They can be enabled both, but roads will not show if used with "Interesting Terrain". However, as far as I know, the developers try to make the mods compatible, and if one has also installed the "Travel Options" mod, one can at least see the road network on the travel map.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

When players finish the 1st questline (as already known from the 0.2 version of the questpack), players will now get a press pass, to confirm they are now freelance reporter for the BHC. This pass is a custom book which players can carry in their inventory. If it is present, it will be recognized by other quests, so they can play out differently if the player is a reporter or is not a reporter.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I have decided to make a small 0.3 update release of the first .dfmod version of BHC.

In terms of content, this will just add 2 new quests, 3 new locations (all in Tulune) and 1 new book, and adjust the text of the hiking guide to fit better with the "Interesting Terrain" mod. But structurally, this is the foundation for further additions. (In fact, there are already 3 other quests included whose mechanics are complete, but where the texts and dialogues are not finished, so I "deactivated" them, i.e. they will not be started).

The 0.3 update should be available within the next few days.

haloterm

Re: [Quests] Black Horse Courier, Iliac Bay Edition (WIP, current version: 0.3)

Post by haloterm »

Update 0.3 now available in the first post.

Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/170

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Working on update 0.4 now.

It will include a new part of the main quest, where the player has to interview a person. Yes/No prompts are used so the player can select the question to ask or the way of asking, like:

You start the interview.

Do you want to ask him about the events last week (click yes)?

Or do you want to ask him first how he is feeling (click no)?

Code: Select all

prompt 2000 yes _Question1A_ no _Question1B_
In the end, this is a branching interview tree.

At the end, the full interview will be given as a new Black Horse Courier issue to the player. I have to write several variants as separate texts and by evaluating which of the tasks have been set by the yes/no prompts, I can determine which variant to give to the player in the end:

Code: Select all

_FinishTextABAB_ task:
    when _Question1A_ and _Question2B_ and _Question3A_ and _Question4B_
      get item _FinalTextABAB_ saying 1030

_FinishTextBABA_ task:
    when _Question1B_ and _Question2A_ and _Question3B_ and _Question4A_
      get item _FinalTextBABA_ saying 1030
and so on. :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Mod has been updated to version 0.4.

Changes:

- added new side quest "Vampire Blues" in Camelford, Tulune (MDBHC021 & MDBHC028)
- add book "Account of a Life and Death" (MDBHCB08)
- added hint on the new side quest as advertisement in one of the newspapers
- made sure all NPCs have a proper "local" or "remote" tag assigned, as needed
since a few Daggerfall Unity versions
- MDBHC000: added a short random delay before Black Horse Courier main quest starts
- MDBHC001: fixed the 3 days timer not being stopped after small and large victory
- MDBHC001: added a quest log entry after small victory
- MDBHC001: added a few more lines to the editor's dialogue and the cleric's answer
- fixed a few typos and spelling/grammar mistakes
- removed unfinished parts of a bigger side quest (will get a mod of its own eventually)
- updated PDF document
- added spoiler warning to changelog and PDF doc

Download:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/170

The next part of the main quest with the interview is post-poned to version 0.5.

Arneb

Re: [Quests] Black Horse Courier, Iliac Bay Edition (WIP, current version: 0.4)

Post by Arneb »

Just in case development of this is still a thing, I found an error in the quest that starts
Spoiler!
in a bank of Tulune (city):

The young robber tells your character that his plan was to travel from Mermore to the northwest and to wait for his brother at the farm near the lake just past the Glenpoint border. If I understood everything correctly, the farm should be Old Lysolda's Farm. If that is the case, the direction from Mermore should be northeast and not northwest. Note that it appears in both the pop-up dialogue when the robbers are killed and in the quest in the logbook.

I know this quest is still in development, I just wanted to point the error for a future version of this mod.

Anyway, thanks for these interesting and different quests.