New Dialogue Interface

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Uncanny_Valley

New Dialogue Interface

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Something that I been tinkering with recently

Dialouge.png
Dialouge.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2318 times

Ralzar

Re: New Dialogue Interface

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, interesting.
I can't decide if I like it or not. It feels more like you're still part of the game world instead of moved to a seperate menu, but on the other hand, you no longer see the character avatars....

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Ralzar wrote: ↑Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 am Hm, interesting.
I can't decide if I like it or not. It feels more like you're still part of the game world instead of moved to a seperate menu, but on the other hand, you no longer see the character avatars....
I removed the avatar image in favor of seeing the person that you are talking to in the game world. I could potentially reduce the width of the dialouge box to fit the avatar image on the right, above the talk tone options. But that would mean that you would see less of the dialouge history. But maybe it could work

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

You could maybe go for a U-shaped layout? So the conversation options on the left go from top-to-bottom, the picture and tone go in the middle at the bottom, and the conversation history goes on the right top-to-bottom?

Just throwing out ideas here.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Something like this?
convo.png
convo.png (762.89 KiB) Viewed 2288 times

Maybe move the goodbye and copy to logbook buttons over to the right and make the avatar picture smaller to show more of the game world. And yeah, I know I made the picture ultra-wide :D

Edit: Allthough looking at it, I think I prefer your choice of having the conversation history in the middle. So maybe picture etc on the right and the convo history in the middle.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Ralzar wrote: ↑Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 am
Maybe move the goodbye and copy to logbook buttons over to the right...
I don't need to move the buttons anywhere, since I removed them entirely. 😁 Maybe it wasn't clear, but the image I posted is not a mock-up but an un-altered screenshot with a modded and fully functional talk window.

FieldsingAround

Post by FieldsingAround »

Looks great, ideally this would be best paired with a high quality NPC replacer. Looks a lot like the Morrowind dialogue system - have you also considered implementing contextual in-dialogue topics?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: ↑Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 am
I don't need to move the buttons anywhere, since I removed them entirely. 😁 Maybe it wasn't clear, but the image I posted is not a mock-up but an un-altered screenshot with a modded and fully functional talk window.
But how do you do the button functions then? Just click outside the conversation window to quit?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Uncanny_Valley wrote: ↑Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 am
So this version removes the ability to copy conversations to the notebook? I use that quite infrequently, but I am very glad when I do need it. I hope other players use it too. I think it's a shame to lose that function. Was this because you couldn't fit a button somewhere, or you didn't want to support it?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

I haven't removed any functionality, it is still all there. But for example, instead of having a special button for good bye, is is now a dialouge option, as you see in every other game with dialouge.