3D People of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Mindpush1001

Re: 3D People of Daggerfall

Post by Mindpush1001 »

So is the purpose of this is to change the standard 2d models for better 3D models maybe in the future they could change the textures of the monsters to a similar style. it would be neat if someone fully redid the city textures for more realistic textures

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Yes, the purpose of this is to replace 2d models with 3d, and I imagine someone at some point may get to the creatures too.

This is amazing work. Can't wait to see this in engine now that 11.2 has been released. Any chance you could model some basic 3d weapons and hands with animations at some point, so we could have 3d hands in combat overhaul to go with 3d models in game?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Is there still active work done on this, or is the project dead? 3D Character is for me the most anticipated mod for this game, so please please make this happen, it would be so amazing!
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

As of now, it seems on hold. Developer hasn't returned in a while. I'm unsure if he is keeping his original reddit/discord stuff up to date.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I guess the model he spent months working on is gone as well.. oh well, back to begining. Ive seen this way too many times during the years, still it makes me mad everytime the work is lost this way :roll:

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Well this looks abandoned, but now that the ability to do this is built into the engine then it will only be a matter of time until someone does it.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:13 pm I guess the model he spent months working on is gone as well.. oh well, back to begining. Ive seen this way too many times during the years, still it makes me mad everytime the work is lost this way :roll:
What happened?

IMO hoping for 3d animated models in game is putting the cart before the horse.
Or maybe trying to run before walking?

The excellent work that Hrafnyx has done could have easily produced high resolution renders to replace existing low resolution flats.
With additional posed animation frames too.
It would be nice if ppl in the DFUnity community got behind that idea and not just shoot for the moon with 3d animated meshes.
Sorry that's about all the idioms i can think of.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

The amount of time it takes to create the proper 3d model, with lighting and all of it, pose it, convert it into flats, and get it into game make it so doing animations instead would be the same amount of time.

This issue with the 3d models isn't the animation side of it so far; this may be an issue when someone gets there, but right now, it is the amount of time it takes to create the 3d models. And, every time any one seems to make head way here, they lose the model before it is finished.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Jman0war :)

Thing is. If you create the 3d model, than you can have both. This 3d model was ready. You can either animate it, and put in game, than create many variants easily from it by adding different clothes and armors AND you can also create a sprites from it. If you look back in this thread, the model was already pushed thru the Spriter (or what is the name of the prog) which is basically a program which creates sprites from the 3d models, I think its created by MasonFace...

So its not like you say... these things dont exclude each other. More like, 3d model is a base and you can either use it or make sprites from it, but unless you have that 3d model you can do nada.

Thats how I understand it at least

For me personaly, this is quite a big loss honestly, if the creator does not come back. Its sad he did not share the model :X

Example of this model being turned to sprite back in the thread (u can see the model as well there (the one with shadow) - looked badass and could be used for all male humanoid creatures in DFU, also male commoners etc)
Hrafni's Playground.png
Hrafni's Playground.png (893.84 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Example of clothing variant:
5.png
5.png (378.88 KiB) Viewed 2557 times

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Animating takes way, way longer than posing and the 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive.
It will be far easier to put renders into DFU than it will be for animated meshes.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files