3D People of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hrafnyx

Re: 3D People of Daggerfall

Post by Hrafnyx »

MasonFace wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:56 pm Okay, Guard_NLA properly imported the animations, and the packed metallic map seems to be working.

The last little thing is the scale. The mesh is looking a bit small compared to the vanilla asset. I've manually adjusted the transform from a uniform scale of 1.0 to 1.125. I think if you scale your mesh up on export by 1/8, it should come out correct when I import it without having to scale it.

scale.jpg

Note that I don't have the character actually implemented yet, I just dragged the prefab into the scene for this screenshot.
Okay. I think, I'll just scale everything in my work file by 1,125 not to think about it in the future.

Looks like I should work with the texture options in Unity to make this model look better. Can you share this scene?

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I can't really export the scene since it's streaming from ARENA2 assets. I could probably mock up a test scene later on that you could import into your Unity editor if you want.

For the armor material, I used Standard shader with Opaque render mode. I've removed the metallic map and just set it to a value of 0.325 and smoothness to 0.5 for the armor.
For the skin material, I used Standard shader with Cutout render mode set to 0.7 alpha cutoff, metallic set to 0.2 and smoothness set to 0.375. This looks better than it looked when it was imported, but it would of course look better if the metallic maps were tweaked. I'll leave that up to your artistic eye. ;)

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I've created a test project that has DFU style ambient lighting. I think it may be easier for you to make your adjustments here in this stand alone project so you can tweak your model and materials to your liking. Also, you can see how the model looks with SpriteWrite enabled.

https://github.com/Masonface/Hrafni_Playground

Anyhow, you can clone this project from GitHub and add it as a project in Unity Hub.

The guard sprites that are in the scene are scaled to DFU size. I tried to match the model up to their size a little closer than the original 1.125 estimate in this project, but it isn't a big change.
Hrafni's Playground.png
Hrafni's Playground.png (893.84 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
Last edited by MasonFace on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:45 am I've created a test project that has DFU style ambient lighting. I think it may be easier for you to make you adjustments here in this stand alone project so you can tweak you model and materials to your liking. Also, you can see how the model looks with sprite write enabled.

https://github.com/Masonface/Hrafni_Playground

Anyhow, you can clone this project from GitHub and add it as a project in Unity Hub.

The guard sprites that are in the scene are scaled to DFU size. I tried to match the model up to their size a little closer than the original 1.125 estimate in this project, but it isn't a big change.

Hrafni's Playground.png
Okay. Thank you so much!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

No problem! I hope it helps you get the materials looking the way you want!

BTW, would it be possible to bake an ambient occlusion map, either into the albedo texture or it's own map? I think it would help the face and neck to have more depth since Unity can't self shadow between the helmet and face. Also, packing the skin's smoothness map into a metallic map would help the eyes look shiny without the whole body looking like it's covered in oil.

In the meantime, I'm working on trying to get the model into the actual game as a civilian NPC. I've re-cloned the latest DFU from the repository into a new clean project; I think all the experimental stuff I was doing with UMA in the Unity 2018 version might have been causing issues, so I think I'm better off just starting from a clean slate.

Edit: Nope, still not working :oops:

I'm going to have to wait for TheLacus's help on this.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

BTW, would it be possible to bake an ambient occlusion map, either into the albedo texture or it's own map? I think it would help the face and neck to have more depth since Unity can't self shadow between the helmet and face.
Absolutely yes. I didn't use Unity for a long time and I downloaded it again only yesterday. So I couldn't remember exactly how the standard shader works. I found out that it uses separate ao map. So I'll bake ao for the entire body as a separate texture now.
Also, packing the skin's smoothness map into a metallic map would help the eyes look shiny without the whole body looking like it's covered in oil.
It is packed: DF_Mbody_2K_pac.png
I've made a mistake when making smoothness map, that's why eyes and eyebrows look stupid now. I'll fix it at the start of coming week

Ideally all the materials should look okay without any further adjustments. Just plug all textures in place and enjoy. I'll make it work properly.

Edit: Ah, I see. I've just complicated things. Don't use met and smt textures. Just plug pac texture in metallic slot. I've deleted all unnecessary textures from folder. Material should be like:
dfs to Albedo
pac to Metallic
nml to Normal Map
Also I'll pack ambient occlusion to pac map as there's a vacant green channel in the shader. Very convenient.
Metal still looks very dark. I'll adjust it.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Also I'll pack ambient occlusion to pac map as there's a vacant green channel in the shader. Very convenient.
Clever!

Another question: How would you feel about adding a detail mask and secondary map?

This could give us a cheap way to create skin tone variants for most of the races by just programmatically setting a skin color on the secondary albedo map. The detail mask would be set up to dodge the eyes, lips, fingernails, etc., and contribute less color to the palms. An added bonus, we could use a very small normal map texture to add fine skin detail (just to LOD0). If you're planning on reusing the same Male and Female models, then you'd only have to make the detail mask once and be done with it.

What do you think?

Edit: I may try a crude test tonight and see if this is feasible before we commit to it. I just think it would be nice to avoid having to make several more 2k diffuse textures just to alter the skin color.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

MasonFace wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 pm Another question: How would you feel about adding a detail mask and secondary map?

This could give us a cheap way to create skin tone variants for most of the races by just programmatically setting a skin color on the secondary albedo map. The detail mask would be set up to dodge the eyes, lips, fingernails, etc., and contribute less color to the palms. An added bonus, we could use a very small normal map texture to add fine skin detail (just to LOD0). If you're planning on reusing the same Male and Female models, then you'd only have to make the detail mask once and be done with it.

What do you think?

Edit: I may try a crude test tonight and see if this is feasible before we commit to it. I just think it would be nice to avoid having to make several more 2k diffuse textures just to alter the skin color.
I thught about it already, yes. My final diffuse texture consists of two - albedo dermal tone and ambient occlusion in red colors to simulate subsurface scattering. I could make a cavity map for the skin tone and another detail map for some additional things like freckles for bretons, body tattoos for khajiits or makeup for women to add diversity. At least townspeople have different faces and I'll have to do something with it. So I totally agree with your idea.

Also I'm planning to change facial proportions for different characters. It won't influence performance as it will be the same mesh with same amount of tris and same UVs.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Also I'm planning to change facial proportions for different characters. It won't influence performance as it will be the same mesh with same amount of tris and same UVs.
Are you going to use Shape Keys? If so, I'll look into how to use Unity's Blend Shapes. So far, it looks pretty straightforward on the programming side.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm Are you going to use Shape Keys? If so, I'll look into how to use Unity's Blend Shapes. So far, it looks pretty straightforward on the programming side.
Not in the nearest future, but yes. Shape keys is the most optimal solution. I have a lot of ideas how to make the body better. And the model gets more details. I don't know what we will have in the end. I'm also planning to add facial expressions and some other stuff. But as for now I think I should concentrate on modeling more clothing and hair for citizens.