3D People of Daggerfall

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: 3D People of Daggerfall

Post by King of Worms »

jman0war wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm Animating takes way, way longer than posing and the 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive.
It will be far easier to put renders into DFU than it will be for animated meshes.
Its easier but also almost meaningless... creating models just to have higher res sprites created from them with different than original art style is not a way forward IMO, especially when we already have a high quality sprites from AI up scalling and lots of manual input was poured into that as well.

Different sprites are still just sprites. And the current sprites are actually good. So a lot of work and not much progress from that.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Yeah there's really no reason to use this to create sprites. We already have plenty of high quality sprites provided by the community.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:24 pm
jman0war wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm Animating takes way, way longer than posing and the 2 don't have to be mutually exclusive.
It will be far easier to put renders into DFU than it will be for animated meshes.
Its easier but also almost meaningless... creating models just to have higher res sprites created from them with different than original art style is not a way forward IMO, especially when we already have a high quality sprites from AI up scalling and lots of manual input was poured into that as well.

Different sprites are still just sprites. And the current sprites are actually good. So a lot of work and not much progress from that.
Maybe i haven't seen these high quality AI Up scaled Sprites.
The ones I have seen are an improvement to original, but are still low resolution and lack eyes etc.
I would not personally run with sprites that are different to original art style just as i won't run the game with 3d Meshes that are different.
If it doesn't look like Daggerfall, then it isn't Daggerfall.

There is a poetic justice in doing the models to Sprites, as this is the same method Bethesda used to create the sprites - most of them anyway.
Renders from a 3d model.

Another benefit in this process is that when an artist shows up and later flames out, at least DFUnity might get something out of it.
Compared to getting nothing out of such fine work as HRAFNYX and Theseus3000 before him.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well, unless theres a 3d model there are no sprites here, so... I think we are in agreement

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

This is the reason why I put all my work in github and make it open source and why I would encourage everyone to do so. If Interkarma wouldn't have done so, we all would still (or not at all) be playing only classic DF with all its bugs and problems.

Everyone making models, code, sprites, music or whatever: please put it online and make it open source, so if you grow tired or are overwhelmed with IRL stuff, someone else can pick up from where you left and all the hours invested are not going to waste.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, we should really tell any modder from a start that he should do it :cry:

Ive seen too many projects vanish during my stay here. Some of those I managed to save tho! The handheld section of DREAM is one of those (eventho I worked in it a lot to put it in the working order, all magic weapons were missing, lots of bugs etc) If I did not save it, it would be gone for ever. And some other bits and pieces as well.... Oh and like 40% of the female clothing for paperdoll, just a few 1000 sprites saved, female bodies... that one was close af as well. And all the ultra HD VIP portraits... and.. and...

Just for the sentimental value, this is the video of a animated female thief... made by the author of this thread:

Btw I made some digging... HRAFNYX Is Pavel Vlasov from Russia
https://www.artstation.com/hrafni
https://www.instagram.com/hrafnyx/

Maybe he is active at Insta if someone has that app and can try?
Or on the artstation? Ive found his mail there and wrote him a msg.... thats the most I can do for now. Someone try that insta pls :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im in email contact with the mod author. He kind of gave up on it as he needed a break, which is absolutely understandable and relatable. He said hes working on it a bit but does not want to post so he does not disappoint ppl if he disappears again.

I try to communicate the idea of preserving his work with him, its in the process. Not sure if there is anyone here who could - theoretically - pick up the torch and go on with the project incase the author decides he wants to move on and shares the models. Someone with the skills and more importantly determination which this project requires.

Either way, no matter what, preserving his work is what Im trying to achieve, rest doesnt matter to me atm.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

I think the best solution would be for DFUnity to simply add a decompile mod option to the mod menu (if at all possible) in future versions. Every other TES game doesn't have this issue with the inability to trawl through a mods files because they're either done via a loose file system, or use BSAs which already have browsers and exporters available to the user base.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well in my book, its like invading someones flat and taking things without invitation. I think mod authors are the ones who should decide if they want their work to be shared, not the other way around. Also this "solution" solves absolutely nothing in cases like this one, where no mod even exists, so I dont agree its the best approach personally.

What would be fine on the other hand IMO is, that there would be some common practice which ppl who are ok with their mods being open, could follow. So lets say a vault, where the DFU open mods are stored. That could be GIT if Im not mistaken (but some public accessible GIT place called DFU OPEN MODS or something self explanatory and standardized) Or any other place we as a community decide to. That place should be specified, easy to access upload and download - basically a set STANDARD.

And this standard should be communicated somewhere, so the mod authors know about its since they join the forums.
Such place where this might be stated is a sticky post(s) at the mod section(s)

Also, the storage there should be sizeable... I might at some point decide to share all DREAM assets in a Unity package. That will be 10gb. Anyone who would like to continue working on that, could download and import in unity by double-clicking it

PS: anyway, the mod author replied to me and is willing to share on GIT laters, so this work will not be evaporated as I have been afraid might happen :P He was also discouraged by the fact noone was about to implement his work in the game... anyway. This is the last info I will share in this topic, I expect at some point he will return and write his view and share his work. My part here is done.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

King of Worms wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 pm Well in my book, its like invading someones flat and taking things without invitation. I think mod authors are the ones who should decide if they want their work to be shared, not the other way around. Also this "solution" solves absolutely nothing in cases like this one, where no mod even exists, so I dont agree its the best approach personally.

What would be fine on the other hand IMO is, that there would be some common practice which ppl who are ok with their mods being open, could follow. So lets say a vault, where the DFU open mods are stored. That could be GIT if Im not mistaken (but some public accessible GIT place called DFU OPEN MODS or something self explanatory and standardized) Or any other place we as a community decide to. That place should be specified, easy to access upload and download - basically a set STANDARD.

And this standard should be communicated somewhere, so the mod authors know about its since they join the forums.
Such place where this might be stated is a sticky post(s) at the mod section(s)

Also, the storage there should be sizeable... I might at some point decide to share all DREAM assets in a Unity package. That will be 10gb. Anyone who would like to continue working on that, could download and import in unity by double-clicking it

PS: anyway, the mod author replied to me and is willing to share on GIT laters, so this work will not be evaporated as I have been afraid might happen :P He was also discouraged by the fact noone was about to implement his work in the game... anyway. This is the last info I will share in this topic, I expect at some point he will return and write his view and share his work. My part here is done.
Completely agree with you!
Also thank you for tracing down the mod author and preserving his files!
I believe there will be a modeler in the future who can build up on this. Things are always easier when there is already a fundament to work with, rather than doing everything from scratch.
In Julianos we Trust.