[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Original DF allows you're hit raycast to hit the npc and still do no damage; You just don't notice because it only sends out a single raycast and the animation allows plays the same no matter if you hit or not. Since I'm shooting out multiple raycasts and having the recoil animation play on the first raycast hit with any object/collider, it will recoil with hits that actually do no damage/do nothing. I need to rework the hit system so it works more seamlessly with the new weapon physics and hit arc casting.
  • Exactly what you said. I rebuilt the code around the animation system or the main weapon in a day with the purpose of making it easier to update animations for either hand. However, I haven't moved it over to the offhand and updated the flipped frames. This is what you are seeing in the offhand in the video.
  • Weapon hit lengths are in. I have not set the length values for the weapons yet. All weapons are running default DF distance of 2.25f units from the player. I plan on updating this before final release, so shorter weapons do have a shorter range and arc.
Thanks for the shield files; I received them. I will try to get in the HD versions in the next week.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Well, getting closer to finishing dream animations, but every dream frame has to be manually slowed down and readjusted because the rect sizes/ratios for the original textures and dream differ some.

The only positive of this grueling process is it allowed me to clean up some older animations more and improve them some.

If anyone creates anymore HD weapon textures, please, for the love of god, make sure it lines up with dream textures position, size, and ratio wise. I will not be updating animations for anymore texture packs as it is too time consuming.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sry to hear that its giving you such a hard time. I partially inherited this mod and these things were already set there. It was a mess because 1000s of these files had the dimensions which you cant divide by 4 without decimals (think of 2005 x 1801 etc) Such images cant be compressed and thats a huge problem.

I had to manually go thru each image, use calculator and change the canvas size by 1 or 3 pixels.. it almost killed me.

Now it almost got you down.. damn..

Im quite sure nobody will ever create another HD weapon sprites so this is the last time u have to deal with it 😂

Thank you for your service, will never be forgotten 😊

Ps:nice to hear it allowed you to improve the base animations tho!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Well after grueling hours of manually repositioning frame after frame, animations are done for first release. I will smooth a few more frames out after a few release cycles. Right now though, most are pretty smooth and have no frame cut offs showing. I also was able to restore and smooth out a few classic animations.

Hitrays have been flipped too. This release is largely playable, outside the shield animation glitch you see. I still have to setup proper weapon lowering when raising the shield.

I'll push updated files to github in next 24 hours.

Here's the Werewolf animations(I had to construct a whole new logic ladder just for the werewolf sprites):

One last question. Who here wants to be able to throw their one handed weapons at enemies? I'll add it during a release cycle if enough people want it.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I pushed updates, including compiled mod file, to github. You can playtest now.

Just need to finish weapon animations for shield lower and raising, and all animations for first release will be done.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Pushed new update. main weapon animates properly when raising, holding, and lowering the shield. It is tied to the bob state, so it will return to the last bob position.

Please, if you have the time, playtest this mod and report back issues. This mod is now over 7000 lines of code between 6 different script files. I think I have found game breaking issues/bugs, but am not 100% positive with so much code.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Last shield "fix" had an issue. Pushed a fix for the weird shield animations. Your main weapon will now lower and raise properly when you start or stop blocking.

Also, I can easily change weapon sizes, so we can have smaller blade variations. However, this will require yet another pass at a few frames on a number of weapons to deal with sprite cutoffs showing when the weapon is shrunk down from its original scale.
Last edited by l3lessed on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, I will test the mod and report back. Thanks for your dedication towards this. Its strange the thread is so void of other ppl. Maybe not enough screenshots..lol

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks. Maybe many players want the vanilla combat system/animations. I'll keep chugging away.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, I think I truly fixed the bugs in the weapon animations for shield use. The weapon should now always lower and raise opposite of the shield raise/lower state.

A note for testers (King of Worms), if using physical weapons, the arc hit detection timings may need more adjusting, especially the down strike.