[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the kinds words. I have another treat for users to show. I spent 30 minutes setting up the first smooth animation code pass, and, taking the concept I created in Combat Overhaul to smooth those animations, it translated pretty well. There is an extra cut off frame at the beginning you can see, but everything else seems to largely work. So, animation smoothing should be in the next push. Then first version of the mod is ready for pub release I think.

I also decided, I will add shield properties into their own text file to allow users to customize their shields, past my default settings, however they wish.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

That up already ?
it looks sweet !
Also....I am playing with directional look attack & movement on...it's pretty amazing man, seriously !

And I'm happy to report that all the buggyness (will somebody see if buggyness is a word because spellcheck doesn't like it) has stopped for me at least.

I never thought it was possible, ambidex in Daggerfall, and it's actually fun, thanks man.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Feel free to modify the weapon property text file and provide some recommended settings.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Did you try and crank up the animation speed? I imagine with some blur effect, this would almost like like real!
Looks super sweet man!
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

In a way yes. There was a change in how I coded the concept this time since I was able to build from scratch the fps render code.

In combat overhaul, I tied the frame movement/updates to frame ticks because of the way the numerator updated the render loop. This was required to ensure it rendered properly no matter fps.

In this one, I am able to tie the updates to a timer to get it separate from frames completely. This ensures smoother animations too. And, for it to work and look clean, I increased the frame update speeds. However, animation attacks times are the same, so it is a mere visual shift and doesn't affect mechanics.

Here's the second pass. Looking much better. No animation cut offs. The weapon actually increases in speed after the first frame render, more like real life.

From here, the fists need more attention and so does the dagger. The are the most complicated textures and thus animations to try and smooth out.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Looks smooth!
Whats that Barbwire radio?! Hahaha. Didn't know there was artillery fire in DFU until I realized it's a radio hehe.
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That's the game Squad. Been playing it allot recently. It is slow enough at times, I code and do other things while I wait for respawn or team/command to give orders. If anyone plays on the forum, I'd be up for playing.

Still working on smoothing and debugging the animations, but I'm getting close to first release of smooth animations. I'm going back and redoing a few older rougher animations.

Like in Combat overhaul, it will only cover left, right, down, and up attacks; I may or may not add the diagonal attacks, just depends on what magic tricks I can concoct using math and matching differing weapon frames from all the available attack frame animations.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 am That's the game Squad. Been playing it allot recently. It is slow enough at times, I code and do other things while I wait for respawn or team/command to give orders. If anyone plays on the forum, I'd be up for playing.

Still working on smoothing and debugging the animations, but I'm getting close to first release of smooth animations. I'm going back and redoing a few older rougher animations.

Like in Combat overhaul, it will only cover left, right, down, and up attacks; I may or may not add the diagonal attacks, just depends on what magic tricks I can concoct using math and matching differing weapon frames from all the available attack frame animations.
Sweet, ill keep an Eye out
Check out my YouTube Channel!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Fixed drag attack.

Smooth animations, outside one werewolf attack, are done for first testing release. There will be more smoothing done after first test release in next week or so.

Superior Donut

Post by Superior Donut »

Two parts to this message
  • 1) When using your shield module mod with this mod, if you load shield module below ambidexterity, when you unequip a shield when using a one handed weapon the character will get stuck in place. If you do it with your weapon drawn it happens instantly; if you do it with your weapon sheathed, it happens immediately upon drawing weapons. I have your dodge mod as well, and that still allows for a tiny bit of movement, but when dodging you sink downwards, with complete disregard to floor clipping. Interesting note, if you do this through the void into a lower dungeon room, you'll fall from the ceiling to the ground again, where you can repeat the process. You probably want to include a note in the readme that this mod needs to be below shield options (or, reworded, shield module needs higher priority)

2) This mod is potentially load order conflicting with travel options. If I put this mod above travel options, it doesn't work (fast travel goes back to being fully instant, irrespective of the mod options I have selected). If I put travel options above this mod it bricks the world. To be specific, when exiting the first dungeon, you are in a complete void (no floor, moon visible below you). If you fast travel to a town the game crashes. If I put travel options above ambidexterity after I get into the world proper, the game will get past the loading screen (the one from the loading screen mod), however it'll just be a black screen and will play generic world music irrespective of the location (for instance, when loading into what should be a town, it doesn't play town music). It took me a while to figure out what caused it. The load order I had when I first encountered this option was Travel options, Shield Module, and Ambidexterity module as the top 3 mods in my load order (which, I will note is after I figured out the error in part one).

The issue was no longer present when I put ambidexterity at the very bottom of my load order (#52), and shield options directly above that (#51); I tried to put travel options above that (#50), but the climates and calories dependency bumped it up (to #9). Not sure exactly what fixed it. From #1-8 I have airships, basic magic regen, basic roads, archaeologists, better ambience, birds in daggerfall, dream cinematics, roleplay realism, and rpr-items. If it's any of those, I'd have to guess rpr.

Still though, the music bug still happens for a half second or so when I first load in. (edit ~10 min later troubleshooting something else: the music bug isn't related to ambidexterity; disabling the mod doesn't fix it. Maybe it's just a daggerfall thing I didn't notice until now cuz I'm started paying a lot of attention to things while troubleshooting lol.).
Load order apparently matters a lot with this mod; first one I've used so far for daggerfall where it's mattered this much and I haven't gotten a pop up. I hope this helps someone else down the line lol, I was really confused and frustrated for a bit rofl.

Another edit I'm gonna leave here is that for some reason, now the dodge module is causing me to clip down through the ground in the overworld. oddly, the ground *actually* becomes where I sink down to for my player (climbing back up above the ground and jumping off causes me to still fall to where ground level had sunk to). Crouching brings me back to true ground level. No clue what's causing this one. I figured I'd leave this bit here though (disabling ambidexterity, putting the dodge module at the very bottom, and putting it at the very top of the load order didn't fix it).