[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the testing. I'll look into the travel crashes. That is odd, not sure what I'm messing with that would cause that. Was this fixed by changing the load order?

As for shield module. Remove it. This has it built into it as description says up front. The smart offhand key input will use the offhand key to activate blocks or attacks depending on what is equipped. This may be causing other load order issues because they use a ton of the same name space objects causing conflicts between them and other mods.

As for any mod that adds items, those mods must always come before this one to ensure this one picks up the proper item template id and properties when creating the render and weapon management system. Putting it before will not allow it to access these things. I recommend putting this mod below all others to ensure proper formula overrides. It will need patches at some point, Dream being top priority.
Last edited by l3lessed on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

also, smooth animations are done, but for a few frames I am putting off for no reason. Maybe a drop in a week or two of the smoothing system 1.0.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Still planning on finishing first major release some time soon.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Animation smoothing is done, outside some small frame skipping clean up I can do for a few frames and weapons. I'll keep working on it after release though because of how boring and tedious shifting frames pixel by pixel for smooth transitions between the 5 frames is.

I also am reworking the physical weapon arc raycasts to align better. This is the last large thing I need to finish. With my new system, it doesn't align correctly, but I'm getting close to proper realignment with animations.

I built in a basic recoil animation on hitting objects. It will play the swing animation in reverse at a accelerated rate to mimic recoil force.

Before release, I'm going to put in a basic particle generation, and if not insanely hard, hit texture for when the weapon hits surfaces. Don't think it will be in release, but I do plan on a blood particle system for hitting enemies that can bleed.

Also, going to add in a mighty boot kick, similar to the stand alone mod, but I want to minimize damage and increase knock back. It feels more natural to me that way; it is suppose to be to create room from your opponent or kick them over a ledge, and not actually damage them like a weapon would. This is a very easy thing though, so doing it last.

We're getting close to full release 1.0.

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

Can’t wait for the release

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

So is the point of the mod to overhaul the combat mechanics to feel more morrowindy

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

So is the point of the mod to overhaul the combat mechanics to feel more morrowindy

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I haven't actually ever played Morrowwind. I'm a massive Skyrim fan myself, and cut my teeth as a wee child on the unforgiving nature of release OG Daggerfall.

I may try to add some Morrowwind type options, or someone using the modding documentation I'm going to provide, can code an expansion mod for that purpose.

Right now, most classic mechanics are maintained, and instead you get a visual overhaul. However, with wrapping up visuals and main features in last month, I have begun the moving more into the second phase of this mod now, which is redoing base mechanics to remove chance based attacking and blocking, and move to a more dark souls, hardcore skyrim type mechanics.

Next release will allow:
  • Animation smoothing to provide 60FPS animations. This was created using math lerping and I can't even count how many hours of pixel by pixel offsetting for hundreds of individual frames.
  • Recoil animations that play attack animation backwards at an accelerated speed to mimic the natural recoil of hitting a surface with a metal weapon at full force.
  • Physical weapon simulation that creates raycast arcs to follow the attack animation and simulate the natural physical swing of the weapon.
I like turning on all three of these settings. It makes combat and weapons have a whole new feel and dynamic to them, and it really makes combat more engaging than a click fest.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Here is the current version of animation smoothing; It's really close to polished release version. I'm really happy with it overall. The Warhammer has some clipping issues on the first frame of the down swing I need to adjust; same with the Waraxe. Dagger needs a pass on its up attack and down attack to smooth it a little more.

Also, I slowed animations down by 300% to allow for easier frame adjusting and smoothing. Like I said, I have to do this frame by frame, and pick specific frames from the 100's to get a no-clip smooth animation at the end of it all. It is why down left and right attacks won't happen, too many clipping issues with the art for those attacks.

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

I actually prefer Skyrim combat over morrowind but that’s because I hate dice rolling