[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Mindpush1001

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by Mindpush1001 »

I mean like it changes in the controls because it’s weird figuring out if you are opening a door or trying to block

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

The controls are completely configurable. Why are you overlapping your alternate attack key with the default use key? Just reconfigure it, so it doesn't use Mouse1 in my mod or in the base game controls.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

Well what are your suggested mapping.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I go with a Skyrim style setup. I set use/activate key to E, set main hand to mouse0 and offhand to mouse1. This also makes shield bashing easier, since the shield needs to be held up.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Did another pass on weapon arc casting, which included adding a setting for users to adjust how soon hit arc start casting in the attack animation and how soon it ends.

This ensures the weapon animation plays for a small amount of time before triggering hit objects and recoil animations. It also tightens up the arc radius by limiting where it starts and ends based on current animation time. Currently, this is set to .25 as the start point and .80 as the end point. This means the arc won't start casting until 25% into the animation and will stop casting at 80% of the animation being completed. I have found this seems to work best visually, alignment, and playability wise. It gives enough animation to look good while keeping the arc from spreading to large and hitting walls and random objects easily.

I still need to move/copy these code improvements to the offhand script, so the offhand has all the new animation features. At that point, this will be ahead of the stand alone combat overhaul fork by including all its features, plus improvements.

Then patches and release.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I've pondered making my own weapon mechanics mod, but then I came across your project so I'll just post some of my ideas here instead.

--Arrows do damage-over-time
Unlike other weapons, arrows actually lodge themselves in the enemy.
Having a DOT effect for arrows would make sense and add more flavor to combat.
Initial damage might be half the stated value, followed by 2-3 rounds of additional DOT damage.
The overall damage would be higher than stated damage, but spread over multiple rounds.
Critters that are immune to poison would probably also be immune to the arrow DOT effect.

--Optimal range for different attack types
It looks like you already implement weapon range mechanics, so:
Slashing attacks would work best if landed toward the end of the weapon, where there is the most momentum/energy.
Stabbing attacks would be more effective at closer ranges.
There might be some sort of visual feedback to the player to tell them how close they are to optimal range...

--Blunt weapons mostly do fatigue (concussion) damage
Currently I don't think there is any support for fatigue damage on enemy critters, but if it is ever added, this might be a good addition.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the feedback. Arrow bleeding wouldn't be to hard to add.

Weapon range effects could be done too; it would be on the back burner, as I'm personally not a huge fan of this idea, and it would require visual feedback to be effect for sure.

Fatigue damage is easy by hooking into and updating the calculatedamageformula to redirect damage to stamina.

Give me some time, and I'll try to get these in as options for users.

Mindpush1001

Post by Mindpush1001 »

Just being curious but how is the mod doing?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Going well. Been busy with real life stuff with wife and playing my insanely beautiful/modded Skyrim SE when I am at home. But, I'm coming back to this. Funny I have slowed down on the work the closer I get to finishing the last things I need to.

I am wrapping up the code updates to the offhand weapon to enable proper weapon smoothing. Then, I can focus on a patch for Dream and the two other mods that touch the same formula helper code. Then proper release.

I'm hoping today to finish the offhand weapon smoothing code.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 pm Going well. Been busy with real life stuff with wife and playing my insanely beautiful/modded Skyrim SE when I am at home. But, I'm coming back to this. Funny I have slowed down on the work the closer I get to finishing the last things I need to.

I am wrapping up the code updates to the offhand weapon to enable proper weapon smoothing. Then, I can focus on a patch for Dream and the two other mods that touch the same formula helper code. Then proper release.

I'm hoping today to finish the offhand weapon smoothing code.
Nice bro! As we say here: 加油! (jiāyóu) which literally means "Refueling" but is used the same as the Japanese "Ganbatte!", meaning "Give your best! You can do it! Go for it!" :)
In Julianos we Trust.