[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Gbobo

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by Gbobo »

yo you're a god for putting out all this work for nothing first of all.
second of all mod's broken for me, shield module wasn't showing shield animations and now this does manage to equip 1h weapons in both hands but the second doesn't show up and attacking with even 1 results in a weird ass double layered attack which looks like it's pressing both primary attack and offhand attack at the same time. i've tried messing with keybinds and putting them on actual keys but it persists. using a 2009 macbook pro stuck on yosemite which i hope doesn't mean i'm just boned :)

oh also i think either physical weapons or classic animations was glitching my movement speed since the dummy characters i made to test it out would have their movement speed super slowed permanently as soon as they made an attack.

kiskoller

Post by kiskoller »

Wow! Just wow!

I've just found this mod, what an amazing work!

I rarely play as warriors in this game so I'm not really the target demographic here. However I can already see in front of me a magic mod that recreates the "Ward" spell from Skyrim that has your mod as prerequisite and is using your amazing shield module.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks so much for the kind words. This is exactly what I am going for, which is create a much more engaging, skill based combat experience so it feels more modern and rewarding. It's getting there one feature at a time.

You discovered my hidden Spellbreaker shield; this was one of my favorite artifacts from Skyrim. I began working on recreating it the moment I finished my shield mod and got the concept in and running, then left it. Wanted to show others how to build custom shields for my mod and get back in my favorite Skyrim shield.

I was thinking about including it in a patron release of this mod, as a way to try and get a little cash from the years of work I put into this. I need something to show my wife, so she understands why I spend my time reading code and playing games.

I also recommend my dodge and outfit manager mod if playing a warrior. The dodging is nice for getting out of tight situations or getting by enemies blocking you. And outfit manager I think is pretty self explanatory why it is helpful.
Last edited by l3lessed on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

yo you're a god for putting out all this work for nothing first of all.
Thank you. I do it because I love this game, and it was one of my first FPS RPG's from my childhood in the early 90's. It set my expectations for RPG's ever since. That being said, I do have a job, wife, and active life; any donations to my patron are greatly appreciate and can help ensure I can continue creating free work for peeps like you.

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? https://www.patreon.com/l3lessed
second of all mod's broken for me, shield module wasn't showing shield animations and now this does manage to equip 1h weapons in both hands but the second doesn't show up and attacking with even 1 results in a weird ass double layered attack which looks like it's pressing both primary attack and offhand attack at the same time. i've tried messing with keybinds and putting them on actual keys but it persists. using a 2009 macbook pro stuck on yosemite which i hope doesn't mean i'm just boned :)
First, are you updated to DFU 11.4? If not, do that before anything.

Next, disable left handed setting if enabled to be safe. If there are other issues, this could be causing the left and right hands to overlap by not flipping this properly.

For the double attack, ensure you are using proper unity keycode property value for your offhand/block key, including capitalization. Go to this page and copy and paste the propery name for the key/button you want to use: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/KeyCode.html

For the shield not showing, this sounds like it might be a conflict of some type or missing shield textures. Did you install all the proper texture files in the streamingasset/texture folder in the daggerfall folder? If the mod tries to load missing textures, it will crash and bug the f out.

If all textures are installed correctly, do you have any mods or custom code/software installed to your daggerfall? If so, try disabling them and see if it works.

Third, if neither of those work, go into your user/appdata/locallow/unity directory, open the daggerfall log, and copy paste it here, especially any errors relating to this mod.

I'm not a mac user at all, so I can't really comment on if this is mac related or not. I don't know why it would be though.
oh also I think either physical weapons or classic animations was glitching my movement speed since the dummy characters i made to test it out would have their movement speed super slowed permanently as soon as they made an attack.
This is meant to be. As part of the weapon properties feature, you will be able to change what your movement speed is when walking with unsheathed weapon and attacking. As of now, I defaulted them in the code to a hard float, but the next release will tie them to the weapon properties text file, so you can customize if your slowed down by unsheathing and attacking, and how much for each weapon.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Classic Animation, Arc Fix, Custom Movement Weapon Speeds, OSx/Linux Update

Decent update being pushed to address a number of things pointed out by users or I found.
  • I have compiled this mod for mac and linux users now. It will be updated in the repo, so mac users and linux users can download and use the mod now. I will break down the differing system files via the sub directory folder labels.
  • This update enables all the mod features to work with classic animation style also, even the animations my mod adds (parrying, hand bobbing, and shield animations).
  • Classic animations now work properly with physical weapons enabled also. Now, you get the proper raycast arc, even when using classic animation setting. So, if you want the look of classic, but weapons that interact with the world, it will work now.
  • I updated how weapon arcs are calculated to remove the spatial distortion bugs appearing when trying to move an arc along the up-down/y-axis. All weapon arcs should follow the weapon now for both smooth and classic animations no matter how you move the camera during attacks/fighting.
  • Reconnected the weapon properties txt file movement speed values to the code itself. You can now customize how much each weapon affects movement speed when in unsheathed and attack states. Go into the weapon properties text file and just update the values.
Known Release Bugs
  • Melee attacks do not have hit arcs built for them yet, so when using melee attacks you will still get large weapon arcs. This will be fixed on next release.
  • Using left handed settings doesn't break the mod, but your right swing animation will be jumpy and glitchy when using smooth animations. It will get fixed in next release.
Last edited by l3lessed on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Pushed above updates to github. You can now access the newest build.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Bob Refinement/Optimizing Update
bob animations were working from a code perspective, but the animations themselves looked unnatural at times. I went through and updated the bob code to remove unneeded code and update the animations to look more natural. It also shifts the values based on smoothing animations or not being enabled to ensure natural feel no matter animation settings.
  • All bob values have been tied to the altfps bob properties to ensure bob syncs naturally with each hand. I also added a small random range addition to the offhand to make it seem more natural (AKA doesn't perfectly align with main hand every frame).
  • Shield bob has been updated to look more natural and have a larger bob motion range. Before the shield was bobbing the wrong way on the x-axis, and the range was smaller than it should be for a natural walk/run feel.
  • Added a hard coded switch for turning on and off classic animations for easier development, but I will provide an in-game option for users also before release.

Known Release Bugs
  • Melee attacks do not have hit arcs built for them yet, so when using melee attacks you will still get large weapon arcs. This will be fixed on next release.
  • Using left handed settings doesn't break the mod, but your right swing animation will be jumpy and glitchy when using smooth animations. It will get fixed in next release.
Last edited by l3lessed on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Officially pushed to repo.

Neargoth123

Post by Neargoth123 »

Hey l3lessed thanks for the all the work you put into this mod, it personally makes Daggerfall a more enjoyable experience imo.

But does DREAM weapon textures work with this mod? I have both installed but I have the classic look of the weapons instead, no matter what the load order is.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks, glad you're enjoying; thanks for playtesting, as I need to squash any remaining bugs. I feel I'm close to an official release with animations pretty much done. And, as long as I'm coding in my spare time, I plan on adding more features after release, so we will see where this goes.

Ooh yeah, I forgot to code in a check for Dream Mod to enable the textures automatically.

Until I get in a checker for Dream, you can enabled and disable the main and offhand weapon dream textures by pressing the "page up" and "page down" button. I hardwired this into the code for making it easier to setup and modify the animations.