WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
N_Molson

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by N_Molson »

Lainlyn :

Interesting density there. All the places on the coast except dungeons are ports.

The path files :

https://gofile.io/d/a0OhOP

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Mournoth :

Path files :

https://gofile.io/d/VAEDER

I'll wait next merge before proceeding to Satakalaam, Kozanset, Totambu... Then that corner of the map will pretty much be dealt with :geek:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry I am getting errors accessing the files for Mornoth. WOuld you please zip them and add them to your post here please rather than using a 3rd party host.

Looking at the pathing you've done for Lainlyn I feel there's too many adjustments to make. Sorry. Several cites are less connected than towns and a lot of tracks dead end. (a few is okay but there are too many)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 pm Sorry I am getting errors accessing the files for Mornoth. WOuld you please zip them and add them to your post here please rather than using a 3rd party host.

Looking at the pathing you've done for Lainlyn I feel there's too many adjustments to make. Sorry. Several cites are less connected than towns and a lot of tracks dead end. (a few is okay but there are too many)
Actually I like the dead ends. I think for some regions, which may be less developed than others, this might be plausible. Where no huge network is built, but just a few roads with old paths leading to villages...

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Here you go. Though I fear the pathing will be "substandard" too, as I tried to be consistent.

Made sense for me to have small places connected by "dead end tracks", as farmers need a way to export their crops and feed the cities. Also the whole reason for the "taverns/inns" to be is to provide a halt for travelers. A small village with 3 taverns in the middle of nowhere without any road access is not economically viable or credible. Pilgrimages were also extremely important in the middle-ages, as they funded the whole religious institution, and were the justification for the Crusades - to grant pilgrims safe access to Jerusalem ; knightly orders like the Templars and the Knights of St-John were created to protect those pilgrims on the long-term-. So holy places should be well-connected.

Just my two cents, of course, based on my humble knowledge of european medieval history and economics. Now maybe in Daggerfall people just hire mages to teleport crops, merchants and pilgrims. :geek:
Attachments
Mournoth.zip
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think that makes perfect sense for small off the beaten track hamlets and farms, but small villages and temples are likely to have tracks leading in more than one direction I think. But I am certainly no expert. Mostly my intent is to allow players to chart courses across the land, which is why I've favoured most tracks connecting across roads. Am trying to balance how the pathing provides routes for players along with being reasonable realistic and not over the top. I have no idea how successful I'm being though, only others can judge that. :D

I've tended to leave small hamlets, orchards, and farms unconnected unless a track was going nearby anyway but I think the idea of connecting them with dead ends has some merit. My bigger concern was that some cites had less roads than smaller towns nearby.

Anyway, I will look at the other region tomorrow - thanks.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Another version of Lainlyn :

Tried to build the network around the biggest cities, hope you'll like it better. :geek:
Attachments
Lainlyn.zip
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Great stuff! Really easy to merge them both, thanks.

So only three regions left now. :)

Have attached a new build with the 2 new region paths. Probably wait for the remaining 3 regions before uploading a new public build.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Kozanset :

Nothing very fancy there, only one big city, the capital. I think it would make sense to have Kozanset City connected to the Dragontails. I made a road heading west the city and heading towards the mountains, I let you make the connection there (maybe that road could join the "border road" at one of the two taverns ?). That way we would have Kozanset City well-connected. But you may also think that Kozanset is a very remote location and that the Dragontails are very steep and are a natural border, so I let it to you.
Attachments
Kozanset.zip
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Stakalaam :

Not a dense province, much less than its neighbors. From the geography I'd say jungles, marshes, swamps, not a rich province. Argonians would probably be happy there ! The coastline is interesting.

I'll wait the last merge for Totambu, which will be the last region (or maybe you want to lay the final stone yourself ? ;) ).
Attachments
Satakalaam.zip
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 113 times