WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by Hazelnut »

Have merged those, thanks. Just one region left. Looks like a really tough one to do as well, I will do it myself at some point soon if no acceptable submissions come in. It looks almost as complex as Wayrest which was almost 4 hours of effort. No idea if the layout of locations for daggerfall used anything other than random chance, certainly trying to make a sensible road network with some of the ways towns & cities are laid out has been quite challenging.

I think my headcannon is that they just threw darts at the map! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Thanks, I'll try my chance tomorrow. Yes, Totambu is one of the most populated regions of the game, which seems a bit odd given it looks like the middle of a jungle/rainforest on the world map :D Also there's that big "lake" which looks really like a big river. Makes me think to Amazonia in Brazil a lot. If someone takes on waterways at some point, it could become a very interesting place.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Funny issue: I had the console open while on a road and typed a command that had G in it. The game sent me running on the road, ignoring the console completely :lol:

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am Funny issue: I had the console open while on a road and typed a command that had G in it. The game sent me running on the road, ignoring the console completely :lol:
Yes, same with the F letter. Console inputs are read by Basic Roads.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

LOL don't use the console on a road I guess... :lol:

I'm not sure if there's a better behaved way to trigger from a keypress in a mod - this key in Travel Options is the first time I have done it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:41 pm LOL don't use the console on a road I guess... :lol:

I'm not sure if there's a better behaved way to trigger from a keypress in a mod - this key in Travel Options is the first time I have done it.
Probably add some kind of check that the game is not paused. It's not like you'd want people to activate road travel at any point when not active ingame.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Totambu :

A typical day in the very rainy province of Totambu (definitively some kind of rainforest, if you are a Kajiit and hate rain go to the Alik'r :lol:) :

As you said, roughly 4 hours of work there. Again, made my best to connect the big cities. I sometimes use taverns and shrines/temples as crossroads, because it makes some sense (those places want to attract visitors). On the opposite, locations like "shack", "old place", "hovel" have been left alone as they sort of represent small communities that don't want visitors, or are too small/poor to generate significant road traffic. Roads sometimes make detours to avoid dungeons because, of course, those places are likely to spawn all kinds of monsters :mrgreen:
Attachments
Totambu.zip
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

As a sidenote I've been playing with Basic Roads & Distant Terrain... At first, I thought it was a bad combination because roads really looked weird, with bigs bumps and stuff... Then I disabled "Advanced Terrain" in Distant Terrain mod options, and it was fine, flat roads again !

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

N_Molson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 pm As a sidenote I've been playing with Basic Roads & Distant Terrain... At first, I thought it was a bad combination because roads really looked weird, with bigs bumps and stuff... Then I disabled "Advanced Terrain" in Distant Terrain mod options, and it was fine, flat roads again !
Interesting. I reverted to Mountain&Hills for just that reason. I'll give it a try.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah, Nystul added a setting to disable the distant terrain mod TerrainSampler so you can use default or one from a different mod. The distant land ring doesn't necessarily work perfectly with other samplers but it's definitely possible to run it with M&H for example now - as far as I understand it.

EDIT: N_Molson - I am not ignoring the last region, but I've been rather busy.