WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by Hazelnut »

That's it! All regions are now pathed. Thanks to all contributors, especially Dolorous John and N Molson who between them did the most regions.

For now I will ask that any pathing issues or oddities are posted on the forums and I will fix them. I may change the editor to allow submissions of corrections/refinements if I can think of a way of doing it, but for now I will do them myself.

I'll upload a new build to nexus soon. For now here's a temp build if any want to try to find pathing issues right now. :)
Attachments
basicroads-0.8.3.zip
(80.63 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

We did it !

I've been playing a bit with it and honestly, it works very well with the default terrain sampler. The "autopilot" is a nice piece of work too ! 8-)

Eccer

Post by Eccer »

Fantastic! Can't wait to try it out sometime :) Good job everyone, finally Daggerfall has roads!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Woot, one of the biggest immersion breakers is fixed. I always thought no roads anywhere was so weird, but understood the limits of the original.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Congrats, this is a thing many ppl spent years talking about but you and the team actually did it 👍

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

One of the most impressive things done by the community :D It's definitely a must have for any playthrough for me. Congrats!

NikitaTheTanner

Sorry for the double post, but I just wondered if it would be possible to utilize something similar to create a river system as well? Historically, rivers were often used as natural modes of transportation and most settlements were located along the rivers. In game, ship travel option and docks could be added to river towns.

I don't think this will be easy, but it seems like a logical step after implementing roads in game.

carademono

Post by carademono »

NikitaTheTanner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:58 pm Sorry for the double post, but I just wondered if it would be possible to utilize something similar to create a river system as well? Historically, rivers were often used as natural modes of transportation and most settlements were located along the rivers. In game, ship travel option and docks could be added to river towns.

I don't think this will be easy, but it seems like a logical step after implementing roads in game.
This would be AMAZING. How cool would it be to have riverboats as a travel option???

pango

Post by pango »

NikitaTheTanner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:58 pm Historically, rivers were often used as natural modes of transportation and most settlements were located along the rivers
The main difficulty then, is that one would also expect rivers to follow the terrain; Terrain height which is in part determines by game data, and in part by terrain generator.
That's a lot of constraints, and I'm not convinced that towns have been placed so that they can all be followed at the same time and make sense...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

NikitaTheTanner

No, I don't think that all towns have to be situated on rivers, that would be an impossible task, but where possible, it would be great to add rivers as well. Of course, there are many difficulties to this task - as you've said, elevation plays a role, but also there are already existing roads, so there need to be bridges or pontoons to traverse the rivers.

Still, I think no believable world can exist without rivers, they are just so vitally important to the ecology, agriculture, travel, trade, defense, etc.

Map of England as an example. Not all settlements are on the rivers, but many are.
England-map.jpg
England-map.jpg (397.1 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
PS. I think that connecting even 20-30% of major towns with rivers would be pretty good, if it would be 50% of towns - that would be perfect, catching as many minor settlements as possible. And it's probably not a discussion for the Basic Roads mod, which is awesome as is, I was just wondering if a similar technique could be used for rivers as well, but thinking about it now, it is a much more complicated task, given that the rivers always have to flow down.