WIP: Basic Roads

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: WIP: Basic Roads

Post by Hazelnut »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 am Hm, one thing that strucvk me: Would it be possible to have different road types for different climates? The grey stone roads look fine in daggerfall, but would look odd running through the desert...
I'd almost say the desert climates generally shouldn't have roads?
The road textures are climate specific, just like all the ground textures.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:19 am Regarding the last screenshot, this occurs on diagonals where it crosses over from one map pixel to the next. I could prevent it with some more code I think, but wanted to see how it felt to people in game first. Someone mentioned that roads may be damaged in places and this could represent that. The worst part is that trees etc can spawn at these points, so I probably will see what i can do to fix it.
This is now fixed, was pretty simple really. Not sure why I didn't realise how simple until you mentioned it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Tchey

Post by Tchey »

Hi,

It looks really nice on screenshots.
Can we play with it already ?
Can i install it on my current game without issue ?
There is a link in message n2, but is it updated or will you post a new one ?

Thanks for your work
* Jeux1d100 ? Le blog Jeux1d100.net sur les jeux indécent et Linux, et la chaîne YouTube *

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Tchey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:35 pm Hi,

It looks really nice on screenshots.
Can we play with it already ?
Can i install it on my current game without issue ?
There is a link in message n2, but is it updated or will you post a new one ?

Thanks for your work
It's not ready for live. You have to run it in unity editor with code that's not in the available DFU live builds.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Okay, I'm ready for people to start pathing out regions with main roads now. Please see the updated second post of this thread for details and an updated dfmod. (please don't use the old one any more)

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

This is absolutely amazing, guys! Certainly, one of the most needed improvements to the game world. Can't wait to give this a try... :)

DolorousJohn

Post by DolorousJohn »

Hey bro, You still looking for road contributions? was gonna do some of the south western regions, Pothago, Kairou and Abibon-Gora, but i didn't want to step on anyone toes if they're being done already.

Gonna wait for your response before I start.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yep, still looking for contributions. Not had much interest yet, I assume that's due to the fact it requires running DFU in the unity editor using the latest master code from github.

I've updated the list of regions done, so any other regions are fair game still except for Wrothgarian Mountains which I've made a start myself as I feel it needs a different approach with much less built roads.

I've got dirt tracks in now, so if you wanted to wait and do both roads and tracks at the same time - I'll update the dfmod and instructions this evening. You can still go ahead and do the roads now if you like. Just found that people (inc. me) tend to put too many roads when tracks are not availible. Best technique is to join the cities (brighter large squares) and then the towns (duller large squares) trying to find a natural layout based on their locations. :)

DolorousJohn

Post by DolorousJohn »

Sounds good, I'm 100% interested in helping on this as I've been stalking your github, because your shit is the stuff I'm like absolutely salivating for in 10.26.

I've already played with the editor and read what you're looking for so as soon as you get the new dfmod up I'll start, I'd rather what i do be up to date with what you've got so maybe I could move onto other Regions sooner and help you get the roads layout finished ASAP. I'll keep an eye on this post for it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, have updated the instructions a bit so please give them a quick re-read.

Also uploaded the new mod package: now including track editing!