[MOD] Ghaksha the Orc Companion

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
imsobadatnicknames

Re: [MOD] Ghaksha the Orc Companion

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:18 am
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 am Then I think I might still have that idea from some outdated quest documentation. However, I think it depends on the region? In my current game once I decided to move to Sentinel I've seen NPCs from my Populated Buildings mod that are only supposed to appear at mages guilds regularly appearing in fighter's guilds and knightly orders, which I never saw happen anywhere in High Rock. Might be an old issue that has only gotten fixed in woodland/mountain regions, then.
It should be a universal change. See this from the DFU source code: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... es.txt#L87

Code: Select all

--      NOTE: Building type 11 is technically just a guild hall but classic quests use this type for Mages Guild exclusively
--      Daggerfall Unity has extended support for more guild halls by allowing p3 to specify factionID of target guild hall
guildhall,          0, 11, 0
magery,             0, 11, 40
fighters,           0, 11, 41
That's weird. I'm using 10.24 and the game still designates Fighters Guilds as "magery" but only in desert places as far as I have been able to tell from experience. My Populated Buildings mod doesn't spawn any NPCs in Fighters Guilds when I'm in High Rock (as I didn't remember the exitence of the "fighters" building definition and only included "magery" in the quest that's supposed to spawn them in guilds) but I encounter them quite frequently in Fighter's Guilds when I'm in Hammerfell.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:57 am
Knightwalker41 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:01 am Thanks again. As soon as I submitted my post I realised you already told me at the start what I asked and then I tried to edit my post to seem less foolish but it was too late D: TGIF

Hmm... that in itself could be a good companion starter quest "Please help me retrieve a reply letter from xxx that I sent them before I properly read their first letter to me explaining everything. Hopefully they haven't had a chance to read my reply letter yet..." :P
Hahah yeah, that's actually a pretty cool idea.

Honestly, I might take a break from DF modding for a while, I've released a lot of stuff lately and I really don't wanna end up burning out, so it's really nice to see that you're taking my companion system and running ahead with it, you seem to be having a lot of fun coming up with different stuff for it :mrgreen:
I totally understand and appreciate what you and the other modders have done for the Daggerfall Community. I have a few ideas for other companions and I think I've got your template mostly figured out. Though my ideas are coming through faster than my ability to implement :P

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 am
Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:18 am
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 am Then I think I might still have that idea from some outdated quest documentation. However, I think it depends on the region? In my current game once I decided to move to Sentinel I've seen NPCs from my Populated Buildings mod that are only supposed to appear at mages guilds regularly appearing in fighter's guilds and knightly orders, which I never saw happen anywhere in High Rock. Might be an old issue that has only gotten fixed in woodland/mountain regions, then.
It should be a universal change. See this from the DFU source code: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... es.txt#L87

--      NOTE: Building type 11 is technically just a guild hall but classic quests use this type for Mages Guild exclusively
--      Daggerfall Unity has extended support for more guild halls by allowing p3 to specify factionID of target guild hall
guildhall,          0, 11, 0
magery,             0, 11, 40
fighters,           0, 11, 41
That's weird. I'm using 10.24 and the game still designates Fighters Guilds as "magery" but only in desert places as far as I have been able to tell from experience. My Populated Buildings mod doesn't spawn any NPCs in Fighters Guilds when I'm in High Rock (as I didn't remember the exitence of the "fighters" building definition and only included "magery" in the quest that's supposed to spawn them in guilds) but I encounter them quite frequently in Fighter's Guilds when I'm in Hammerfell.
I'll give Magery a try as a location for the next companion and see what happens.

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

Just had a great idea - I should do M'aiq (from the other ES games) as a companion. He'll occasionally show up after the player completes his starting quest, but he'll only share a tip/thought/cryptic advice/4th wall breaker and not attack or do anything useful, then disappear. I'd have to do him as Sabertooth to make it work.. or maybe a Wearwolf? Hmmm...

"M'aiq has heard the Illiac Bay region is as big as a England. What is a England?"
"M'aiq is glad there are horses here. Too much walking in Morrowind."
"Sleeping is very important in the Illiac Bay. M'aiq wonders why adventurers hardly sleep everywhere else."
"M'aiq knows the Illiac Bay sea is very large but has never seen a single fish in there."

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 am That's weird. I'm using 10.24 and the game still designates Fighters Guilds as "magery" but only in desert places as far as I have been able to tell from experience. My Populated Buildings mod doesn't spawn any NPCs in Fighters Guilds when I'm in High Rock (as I didn't remember the exitence of the "fighters" building definition and only included "magery" in the quest that's supposed to spawn them in guilds) but I encounter them quite frequently in Fighter's Guilds when I'm in Hammerfell.
I can't reproduce this, myself. I set up a test quest to detect a magery in the current region:

QRC:

<ce> _mag_, ___mag_

QBN:

Place _mag_ remote magery

--	Quest start-up:
say 1011
end quest
I tried it 10 times each in Sentinel, Bergama, and the Alik'r Desert and got a Mages Guild each time. If this is a bug you can reproduce, we can submit it as an issue and get it fixed.

imsobadatnicknames

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:36 pm
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 am That's weird. I'm using 10.24 and the game still designates Fighters Guilds as "magery" but only in desert places as far as I have been able to tell from experience. My Populated Buildings mod doesn't spawn any NPCs in Fighters Guilds when I'm in High Rock (as I didn't remember the exitence of the "fighters" building definition and only included "magery" in the quest that's supposed to spawn them in guilds) but I encounter them quite frequently in Fighter's Guilds when I'm in Hammerfell.
I can't reproduce this, myself. I set up a test quest to detect a magery in the current region:

QRC:

<ce> _mag_, ___mag_

QBN:

--	Quest start-up:
say 1011
end quest
I tried it 10 times each in Sentinel, Bergama, and the Alik'r Desert and got a Mages Guild each time. If this is a bug you can reproduce, we can submit it as an issue and get it fixed.
Alright, I'll try to upload screenshots and a savefile to the support bard when I have the time, maybe tomorrow.
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

imsobadatnicknames

Knightwalker41 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:11 pm Just had a great idea - I should do M'aiq (from the other ES games) as a companion. He'll occasionally show up after the player completes his starting quest, but he'll only share a tip/thought/cryptic advice/4th wall breaker and not attack or do anything useful, then disappear. I'd have to do him as Sabertooth to make it work.. or maybe a Wearwolf? Hmmm...

"M'aiq has heard the Illiac Bay region is as big as a England. What is a England?"
"M'aiq is glad there are horses here. Too much walking in Morrowind."
"Sleeping is very important in the Illiac Bay. M'aiq wonders why adventurers hardly sleep everywhere else."
"M'aiq knows the Illiac Bay sea is very large but has never seen a single fish in there."
DAMN, THAT'S A GREAT IDEA HEHEH

The would honestly be a really easy one to implement, honestly the hardest part would be coming up with the dialogue. You probably wouldn't even need to implement a starting quest (tho including one would be a cool detail). You could simply make the "cooldown" from GK000 lead into a quest that spawns him inside a random location in whatever city you're at, and then create a _clicked_ task that triggers his dialogue, makes him despawn, and restarts the cooldown again.

imsobadatnicknames

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:36 pm

QRC:

<ce> _mag_, ___mag_

QBN:

--	Quest start-up:
say 1011
end quest
I did more snooping around and turns out I was kinda wrong but also kinda right. I thought the quest that was causing them to spawn in Fighter's Guilds buildings was Populated Buildings - Guilds (which only makes them spawn at mages guilds) but it was actually Populated Buildings - Temples.

Here's the quest code, where you can see the "inside2" task is only supposed to trigger when you're inside a temple:

Quest: PB5
DisplayName: Populated Buildings - temples
-- Message panels
QRC:           

<ce> Well, hello!
<---> 
<ce> What brings you here?
<--->
<ce> Isn't %reg beautiful 
<ce> This time of the year?
<--->
<ce> I don't have time to talk
<ce> right now
<--->
<ce> Can't you see I'm busy?
<---> 
<ce> Crazy weather we're having, eh?
<---> 
<ce> How do you like %reg?
<ce> I can't wait to leave, honestly
<--->
<ce> How do you like %reg?
<ce> I never want to leave
<---> 
<ce> What's your name?
<--->
<ce> Any Idea where an adveturer
<ce> like me could find some work?
<--->
<ce> You're %pcn, right?
<ce> I think I've hear of you
<--->
<ce> Haven't I seen you before?
<ce> You look familiar
<--->
<ce> I don't like this place
<--->
<ce> I love this place

QBN:

Foe _f1_ is Mage
Foe _f2_ is Healer
Foe _f3_ is Healer
Foe _f4_ is Knight
Place _fg_ local temple
Place _mg_ local temple
Clock _leave_ 03:00

--	Quest start-up:
	pc at _fg_ set _inside1_
	pc at _mg_ set _inside2_
	start timer _leave_

_inside1_ task:

_inside2_ task:

_spawn1_ task:
	when _inside1_ 
	create foe _f1_ every 10 minutes 2 times with 50% success
	create foe _f2_ every 10 minutes 2 times with 50% success

_spawn2_ task:
	when _inside2_ 
	create foe _f3_ every 10 minutes 2 times with 50% success
	create foe _f4_ every 10 minutes 2 times with 50% success

_pacify1_ task:
	when _inside1_ 
	change foe _f1_ infighting true
	change foe _f2_ infighting true
	change foe _f1_ team 1
	change foe _f2_ team 1
	clear _pacify1_

_pacify2_ task:
	when _inside2_ 
	change foe _f3_ infighting true
	change foe _f4_ infighting true
	change foe _f3_ team 1
	change foe _f4_ team 1
	clear _pacify2_

_exitcity_ task:
	when pc exits city
	end quest

_leave_ task:
	remove foe _f1_
	remove foe _f2_
	remove foe _f3_
	remove foe _f4_
	end quest

_kill1_ task:
	killed 1 _f1_
	legal repute -10

_kill2_ task:
	killed 1 _f2_
	legal repute -10

_kill3_ task:
	killed 1 _f3_
	legal repute -10

_kill4_ task:
	killed 1 _f4_
	legal repute -10

_smalltalk1_ task:
	clicked foe _f1_
	say 1020
	clear _smalltalk1_

_smalltalk2_ task:
	clicked foe _f2_
	say 1020
	clear _smalltalk2_

_smalltalk3_ task:
	clicked foe _f3_
	say 1020
	clear _smalltalk3_

_smalltalk4_ task:
	clicked foe _f4_
	say 1020
	clear _smalltalk4_

_attack1_ task:
	injured _f1_
	legal repute -5

_attack2_ task:
	injured _f2_
	legal repute -5

_attack3_ task:
	injured _f3_
	legal repute -5

_attack4_ task:
	injured _f4_
	legal repute -5
And here's a screenshot I just took from the quest debug, which shows that the "inside2" task is active even though I'm at a Fighters Guild

So it seems like Fighter's Guilds in Sentinel cities (and probably all of Hammerfell, idk I haven't tested) are incorrectly tagged as temples by the game (or maybe it's intended? idk). I guess I just saw them spawning at Fighter's Guilds and since the old documentation said "magery" designadted Fighter's Guilds, Mages Guilds and Knightly orders I just assumed that was still the case in Hammerfell.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's intended: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Fig ... d_Overview
Note: in certain regions of Hammerfell, the Fighters Guild often exists as a holy order. Such guildhalls are holy places which also count as Temples, and appear on the map as Fighter Trainers. These guildhalls are always open (like Temples), and its smiths can repair multiple items at once. Aside from these minor differences, they are otherwise identical to the Fighters Guild guildhalls found in the remaining regions of the Iliac Bay.

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

I'm learning a lot from reading the comments from you both :)

Another question - We can only choose 'Foes' as companion types, so will that interfere with long resting (as in will cause the player to wake up as enemies nearby?) if they spawn in on the timer? I forgot to test this with Belwen and Ghaksha.