[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 pm I was hoping for a github repo that I could clone but that will do I guess. Not going to look tonight though, not feeling great. Probably due to covid vaccine earlier.
Get well soon! Take your rest, health comes first.
So basically IT would be great for its height map. My mod will take over the vegetation and terrain texturing. Do you think it is possible for Basic Roads to grab the textured terrain and just paint the roads on top of it? Then I could drop it as last mod of the load order and we would have all the pros from each of the three mods combined :)
In Julianos we Trust.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am Where is the code located? I can take a look and see what may be breaking basic roads.
The code is over here: http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... 1d333efa90

I've already compiled the fix but never got around to uploading it to the nexus or asking Daniel if he was okay with that. The only issue with it is that it gets rid of the rocky tiling texture IT adds to very steep slopes. I believe Daniel has solved this issue with one of his bits of code for his wilderness mod?

Anyways to fix the issue just compile a new mod with those scripts and place the mod below IT.
Okay now I am confused. This code is simply the standard DFU terrain texturing class renamed to ITTerrainTexturing and some change to the ocean level check. It's absolutely nothing like the Interesting Terrain class from here https://github.com/monobelisk/DFUnity-I ... exturer.cs

I think the ocean thing has been solved now by Freak2121 and ensuring the ocean level matches the heights generated sound like the right solution to me.

As far as I can tell Freak2121 has released an updated version of the Interesting Terrains mod from monobelisk called Interesting Eroded Terrain. What I was after was the github link for this code, but for now I'll simply use monobelisk's repo.

EDIT: I found it since it was forked from mono's. :D Very good, guess I should have checked that first.

I need to figure out if a solution can be found for this so basic roads can work with this as well as Daniel87's wilderness overhaul. The issue here is that I created a custom terrain texturer that paints the roads on the terrain as it's being textured... for ultimate efficiency.

I will take a look and create a new thread for discussing approaches, once I have more than zero... :D My initial thought is to provide some way for other terrain texturing mods to interface with mine to be able to paint roads. (or magic, mumbles...)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

carademono

Post by carademono »

Freak2121 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 pm I had modified StreamingWorld.cs to allow for higher render distances.

Like this:
const int maxTerrainArray = 1024; // Maximum terrains in memory at any time

// Local player GPS for tracking player virtual position
public PlayerGPS LocalPlayerGPS;

// Number of terrains tiles to load around central terrain tile
// Each terrain is equivalent to one full city area of 8x8 RMB blocks
// 1 : ( 2 * 1 + 1 ) * ( 2 * 1 + 1 ) = 9 tiles
// 2 : ( 2 * 2 + 1 ) * ( 2 * 2 + 1 ) = 25 tiles
// 3 : ( 2 * 3 + 1 ) * ( 2 * 3 + 1 ) = 49 tiles
// 4 : ( 2 * 4 + 1 ) * ( 2 * 4 + 1 ) = 81 tiles
[Range(1, 7)]
public int TerrainDistance = 7;
except all the way to 11. 11 has proved to be very unstable (crashes after a few loads) but 5-7 seem fairly stable and performant from what I've seen.
Hi Freak 2121, I absolutely love the landscapes created by this mod. But would it be possible to create a slider in the settings for the view distance? As it is the mod is bringing my old laptop to its knees.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

carademono wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:28 pm Hi Freak 2121, I absolutely love the landscapes created by this mod. But would it be possible to create a slider in the settings for the view distance? As it is the mod is bringing my old laptop to its knees.
I think this was done just for testing purposes, the released mod itself doesn't override the DFU terrain distance as far as I can see. (I could be wrong though) The standard advanced settings in DFU allow you to set this between 1-4, can't remember what the default value is. Try changing that anyway, see if it helps.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

carademono

Post by carademono »

Thanks, Hazelnut, I'll try lowering the distance there.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

carademono wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 pm Thanks, Hazelnut, I'll try lowering the distance there.
Lower the distance in DFU to 2 or 3 and then disable terrain transition in the Distant Terrain mod for a good balance between performance and quality with this mod. Distant Terrain is primarily cpu capped though in my experience.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've managed to contact Monobelisk and they let me know that they currently don't have the time or interest in continuing with the mod, however they're definitely keen for others to fork it and develop it further. So consider yourself having the blessing of Monobelisk, Freak2121. I'm very thankful that the code is available as it would have been a real shame to lose this work, it's fantastic stuff.

I've integrated Basic Roads now, and it seems to work fine. I've submitted a PR to your repo here: https://github.com/Freak2121/DFUnity-In ... ins/pull/1

You'll need to use the test build of Basic Roads I posted in a thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4814

It looks like some terrain modification for roads was started, but appears to be disabled by commenting. Not sure if this worked and was waiting for me to integrate roads, or is simply unfinished. If you decide to develop that more let me know if you need any help about the path data and how to use it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You can now use the 1.0 version of Basic Roads that is available on nexus, it has all the changes required.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Freak2121 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am I released it on Nexus. I hope you guys enjoy!

I modified the dune/desert generator slightly to match the deserts in my home country a bit more (larger and taller dunes.)
Spoiler!

While I was testing it, I noticed that the Basic Roads mod turns all oceans into land, for some reason. I have no idea what might be causing this, simply disabling the Basic Roads mod fixes it.

Anyone have any idea what might be the issue?
Hey there, I got one question:
Would it be possible to add the canyones back in that you removed and instead add a settings option where one can actually turn on and off certain landscape features? That would be amazing! If you need help with this, let me know :)
In Julianos we Trust.

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.