[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by Daniel87 »

Nice! Whats your load order of the mods? I dont have an option to turn of distant terrains own heightmap. Is it fine to just load Distant terrain before Interesting Terrain and therefore overwrite the heightmap?
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:09 pm Nice! Whats your load order of the mods? I dont have an option to turn of distant terrains own heightmap. Is it fine to just load Distant terrain before Interesting Terrain and therefore overwrite the heightmap?
So DT heightmap is activated/deactivated with the Enable Improved Terrain option in DT's settings. That being said I have IT below DT.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well if it even works with distant terrain than its the ultimate choice 👍

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Can rivers/creeks and small lakes be added to the heightmaps?
I would love to see this feature added.
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 am Can rivers/creeks and small lakes be added to the heightmaps?
I would love to see this feature added.
They could, technically, but it would require you to go in and edit all of the heightmap with very fine detail around where these rivers are, reducing the amount of rivers you could add to the game world, or creating a super large workload on whoever undertakes that job. I'm also pretty sure that the heightmap has a limited size in Daggerfall? Which means you can't get extremely detailed with them.

A better option is to use the code that is in Basic Roads to create rivers.

The heightmap for Eroded and Enhanced Terrain was created with a program that also created a rivers map for it, which the author released (for others to use to try and make a rivers mod since he wasn't a programmer). That rivers map would be a good base to work off of simply since it does most of the work and would only need to be altered to work with IT's heightmap. This is the rivers map created for that map.

EDIT: The main issue with trying to make rivers with the heightmap is that you'd have to have all rivers be at ocean level, which is very unrealistic and creates massive steep drops in the landmass. For example, you couldn't have a river going down hill from a mountain, the river would just start out flat on the ocean level. Basic Roads code can be used to swap out tiles with water tiles instead of road tiles which would resolve this issue.

EDIT 2: the author of Eroded and Enhanced Terrain is still active on the Nexus as far as I know since he responded to my question on his mod about a week ago.
Attachments
rNFn6Zl.png
rNFn6Zl.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2088 times

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

If you amazing devs get rivers and lakes into the game, I swear on my firstborn, I will make a dope fishing mod.

I grew up my whole life fishing and fly fishing the Sierra Nevada's, and as I was driving to work this morning, I was thinking of wanting a fishing mod for DFU, but without rivers and lakes, it isn't worth the amount of effort to me to do it right.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:43 pm If you amazing devs get rivers and lakes into the game, I swear on my firstborn, I will make a dope fishing mod.

I grew up my whole life fishing and fly fishing the Sierra Nevada's, and as I was driving to work this morning, I was thinking of wanting a fishing mod for DFU, but without rivers and lakes, it isn't worth the amount of effort to me to do it right.
I believe for this, we might also actually need real water.
Basically, rather then clamping the heightmap at 0 or in this mod here 98, all we would need to do is to let it expand into the negative as well.
Then we place a Block of dungeon water with the upper boundary at 0 (98).
How to do all this in a performant way is what we still have to figure out. Also I am not familiar with the noises and shader scripts of Interesting Terrains and how one would go about adding new algorithms for riverbeds/ lakes. Would it make sense to have the water horizon sloped in the case of rivers comming down from the mountains? Is it more performant to place multiple water blocks next to each other and removing all textured sides of these blocks beside of the horizontal water surface or is it better to place one giant water block the size of the MapPixel?
In Julianos we Trust.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

EDIT 2: the author of Eroded and Enhanced Terrain is still active on the Nexus as far as I know since he responded to my question on his mod about a week ago.
I come here often too, although I don't post often. I'd love to help, but all I can really provide are various maps (rivers, snow, height, rain shadows, etc.) :)

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Freak2121 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 pm
I come here often too, although I don't post often. I'd love to help, but all I can really provide are various maps (rivers, snow, height, rain shadows, etc.) :)
Hey that's great man. That's better than starting from scratch lol. Do you think it would be possible to take the heightmap in Interesting Terrains from over at the mods github https://github.com/monobelisk/DFUnity-I ... ngTerrains and make a rivers map off of that with the program you used? I can't really do anything with it, but someone else might come along with the expertise and be able to gather it all together and get it done.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

I had no idea this mod is open source! I've been messing around and experimenting with it for the past day and I'm getting some pretty happy results.
Spoiler!
Before:
After:
The way the mod used RGB to differentiate between mountains, hills and deserts is quite elegant. I also love how it just reads PSB files, it makes editing the files very quick and easy. I don't know if I'll be able to generate a river map for the terrain in this mod, as it only loosely follows its base height map, mountains and such are generated in real-time. If someone is able to extract the generated height map of each cell, then I could definitely do it.