[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Flying Kites

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by Flying Kites »

Should the settings in the mod launcher for Interesting Terrains be blank? There is nothing there, of which I would assume there should not be a settings button if there are no options available.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Not sure, since I haven't used this mod yet. The author can add a settings areas and not actually include settings. Maybe there was a plan to include settings at some point?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Flying Kites wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 pm Should the settings in the mod launcher for Interesting Terrains be blank? There is nothing there, of which I would assume there should not be a settings button if there are no options available.
That is normal for this mod. I assume the author intended on there being settings later on but he never finished it.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:58 am Here's hoping someone can figure out how to make this work. I don't imagine it would require much change to be fixed as earlier versions had oceans and lakes and Distant Terrain shows that the ocean floor is at the correct level for water to appear.
I am currently looking into the water/ocean problem.
My mod actually overrides the textures, so it actually solves the problem.

In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

That's terrific! Does the NPC swim in that water, or walk across it like an Illiac Jesus?

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

carademono wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:49 pm That's terrific! Does the NPC swim in that water, or walk across it like an Illiac Jesus?
The player swims in it.
NPCs I don't know. I think in DF and DFU, NPCs can't swim in general and always walk on water, no?
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

I'm remastering the sprites right now and can confirm that there are none for swimming :D

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Flying Kites wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 pm Should the settings in the mod launcher for Interesting Terrains be blank? There is nothing there, of which I would assume there should not be a settings button if there are no options available.
In earlier versions of the mod, the settings section had the option to disable fall damage while travelling with Tedious Travel (because in certain regions it was very likely that Tedious Travel would make your character fall off a cliff and die while using this terrain sampler). Not sure why it got removed. Maybe because Tedious Travel is now obsolete since the release of Travel Options, or maybe because the Basic Roads integration makes falling off cliffs while travelling a rare occurence now .
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:04 pm
Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:58 am Here's hoping someone can figure out how to make this work. I don't imagine it would require much change to be fixed as earlier versions had oceans and lakes and Distant Terrain shows that the ocean floor is at the correct level for water to appear.

That's absolutely awesome mate. Looking forward to seeing your work. Is there any possibility that you could release a fix for interesting terrains using that method or will you be waiting until you've finished your mod?

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Jarlyjarljarl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 am
Daniel87 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:04 pm

That's absolutely awesome mate. Looking forward to seeing your work. Is there any possibility that you could release a fix for interesting terrains using that method or will you be waiting until you've finished your mod?
Hmmm, the problem is, that when using my mod to override the terrain texturing of Interesting Terrain, it will come with a palette of other changes I have made to the terrain texturing, such as even swapping the original DFU textures with my own texture set which included mirrored versions of some that didn't exist in the original game. I changed a lot of things about how terrains are textured and am still working on the algorithms to increase realism.

All you would need to get the oceans back is:
- Creating a mod
- Having the mod load your custom ITerrainTexturing script before game start

Code: Select all

static MyTerrainTexturing myTexturing;
myTexturing = new MyTerrainTexturing();
DaggerfallUnity.Instance.TerrainTexturing = myTexturing;
- Adding this rule to the texturing algorithm of your custom ITerrainTexturing (in this case called "MyTerrainTexturing.cs"):

Code: Select all

if (height <= 100.1f) {
    tileData[index] = water;
    return;
}
This will bring back the oceans, but you will lose the rock faces on steep mountain sides. For this I have written my own algorithm that checks for heightmap slope and assigns the stone texture on steep surfaces. You can find it in my WOTerrainTexturing script on GitHub. The function is called SteepnessTooHigh(). This algorithm is a work in prograss, as it currently causes nasty border lines of MapPixels. I didn't get around to find a solution for this bug yet.
In Julianos we Trust.