[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
haloterm

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:43 am
haloterm wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:08 pm Hmm... this demo gives me water everywhere :D Started with a new character. There are cities etc. visible, but all in the ocean.

I tried different load orders with Distant Terrain, and even switched Distant Terrain of, but it's still water :)
Ah, my bad - I forgot to apply the locale fix in this version :D I've attached a fixed version.
Nystul wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:51 am Great, thank you so much!
Same as above - I forgot to apply the locale fix. So if you've had troubles with the version I previously posted, try this one instead :)
Thanks, that is a step forward - but still with a few issues. I now get different looking terrain than before, building of villages/towns often float above the ground many meters, and some places are still covered with water (for example the small temple village in the northeast of Betony island). :)

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pm Thanks, that is a step forward - but still with a few issues. I now get different looking terrain than before, building of villages/towns often float above the ground many meters, and some places are still covered with water (for example the small temple village in the northeast of Betony island). :)
Ah, yeah, location blending is disabled in this version. It was built from a wip, in-between two versions, solely for the purpose of testing distant terrain :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

looking good ;)

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

New version released: 0.5.0.

Above the surface, locations are now properly blended and there should be no more watery slopes. Furthermore, Distant Terrain is now compatible.

Below the surface, I've (finally) released the code on GitHub (link in the first post), and the tilemapping is now properly implemented as a custom TerrainTexturer. Furthermore, it's now possible for other mods to access the tileData that's being generated, for implementation in a custom TerrainSampler (details in first post, and in the GitHub repo).

The 0.5.x generation of this mod is dedicated to compatibility with other mods (Basic Roads being the immediate focus), along with fixes to any issues that may popup.

Furthermore, I have decided that I'm done experimenting with the heightmap generator, and won't be making further additions or tweaks, unless to fix issues or make improvements based on feedback I may get. I would very much appreciate any feedback on the terrain; areas that are too mountainous, areas that are too flat, whether the mountains themselves look good enough (ironically, I live in a very flat country so I may not be the best judge of that) etc. It's still too early to rely on the terrain heights remaining like they are now, but hopefully that should be possible by 0.6.x.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 am Do you have your code in github? I need to start thinking about how we make this compatible with Basic Roads.
It's on GitHub now, at long last! And some more good news: the compatibility fix is going to be extremely easy on your end. I generate the tileData (that the GenerateTileDataJob in the TerrainTexturer normally generates) during terrain sampling, then store the resulting byte array internally for use in the TerrainTexturer instead of the default GenerateTileDataJob. I've implemented a message handler intended for other mods to obtain the generated tileData in their own TerrainTexturer implementations. So all it takes is to skip the GenerateTileDataJob in BasicRoadsTexturing and obtain the tileData through my message handler instead (and for Interesting Terrains to not assign its own TerrainTexturer if Basic Roads is loaded - I'll make sure to do that). I've tested it out myself, and the roads get properly painted on top of the Interesting Terrains tilemap.

The bad news, however, is that the terrain smoothening on my end isn't going to be as easy. As far as I'm able to understand, from looking at your code, the road data consists of a single byte value per map pixel, and the byte value corresponds to a direction somehow (N, S, SE, W, etc). Beyond that, I honestly have no idea what to make of it, or how I would go about turning it into an array of roadpoints inside a given map pixel's 129x129 heightmap grid (I would need to be able to find the nearest road point for any given heightmap sampling point for a map pixel during the terrain sampling, in order to be able to smoothen the roads).

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Has anybody gone down to the coast south of Daggerfall?
I have the location loader and I have docks of Daggerfall, I also have splat, and real grass..

There is no boats, the lighthouses are there but all the water is snow there is zero water anywhere even the Lakes are snow.
Anybody else just see snow instead of water, and you can walk on it it is not frozen water it's snow, it's just white everywhere with Little Rock's..

Real grass adds rocks, so could real grass be messing something up in winter with this mod ?
Check out my YouTube Channel!

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:34 pm New version released: 0.5.0.
I'm not 100% sure if it works for me as intended in DFU 0.10.27 with Distant Terrain. For example, near coasts I now have very wide flat planes, and far-away isles which I was able to see before with just Distant Terrain enabled (without Interesting Terrain) are not visible in the distance.

Is the load order important?

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:02 pm Has anybody gone down to the coast south of Daggerfall?
I have the location loader and I have docks of Daggerfall, I also have splat, and real grass..

There is no boats, the lighthouses are there but all the water is snow there is zero water anywhere even the Lakes are snow.
Anybody else just see snow instead of water, and you can walk on it it is not frozen water it's snow, it's just white everywhere with Little Rock's..

Real grass adds rocks, so could real grass be messing something up in winter with this mod ?
The location loader (at least UV's original version) isn't compatible with Interesting Terrains, as it places location objects at the wrong height.

Interesting Terrains currently doesn't distinguish between locations that should be flattened and locations that shouldn't, so all locations are flattened at a minimum height that's just above ocean level, to prevent locations that are close to the shore being located on water.

As far as I'm aware, Real Grass only places details on the terrain, using the Unity terrain's own detail placement system, so it should be unaffected by Interesting Terrains (and vice versa).

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:32 pm
monobelisk wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:34 pm New version released: 0.5.0.
I'm not 100% sure if it works for me as intended in DFU 0.10.27 with Distant Terrain. For example, near coasts I now have very wide flat planes, and far-away isles which I was able to see before with just Distant Terrain enabled (without Interesting Terrain) are not visible in the distance.

Is the load order important?
Ah, my bad - I was so focused on the mountain peaks, that I forgot to do ocean level tests! I'll need to do some adjustments and upload a patched version.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

What did you do to test it out with roads yourself?

Regarding smoothing, I add a job that just looks for road tiles & water tiles and smooths them. It's quite rudimentary and doesn't use the path data.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods