[MOD] Pet Animal Companions

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Knightwalker41

[MOD] Pet Animal Companions

Post by Knightwalker41 »

Original Source Mod/Companion Questpack Framework creator - imsobadatnicknames

Pet Animal Companions v1.20

7 different animal pets (and 1 magical pet) are waiting to be found and adopted in the Illiac Bay!

*Please update to v1.20 asap, I found a bug introduced with previous update causing spawning issues.*
20200825191059_1.jpg
20200825191059_1.jpg (352.21 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Details:

There are 8 optional questpacks available, each containing a different pet animal. You can mix and match whichever questpacks you want to install or install all 8 if you like, or just 1!

*Rat Pet Companion - found randomly in General Stores (Existing save: "startquest RAT000")

*Spider Pet Companion - found randomly in Pawn Shops (Existing save: "startquest SPIDER000")

*Cat Pet Companion - found randomly in General Stores (Existing save "startquest CAT000")

*Scorpion Pet Companion - found randomly in Pawn Shops (Existing save "startquest STINGER000")

*Bear Pet Companion - found randomly in General Stores (Existing save "startquest BEAR000")

*Bat Pet Companion - found randomly in General Stores (Existing save "startquest BAT000")

*Baby Wyvern (RARE!) Pet Companion - found randomly in Alchemist/Herb/Apothecary Stores.
It has a rare chance of appearing (Existing save "startquest BABYWYV000" )

Bonus: *Werewolf Cub Pet Companion - found randomly in Alchemist/Herb/Apothecary Stores. (Existing save "startquest WWCUB000")

Specific spawn details
Spoiler!
They have a cooldown timer with a random value between 1 and 10 days, which starts running once the mod is activated. If the timer reaches 0 while you're inside a city, they'll appear at a random store (see above) in whatever city you're at. If the timer reaches 0 while you're in any place other than a city, they'll spawn at a random store (see above) in the next city you visit. Once they spawn, they'll remain there for 24 hours. If 24 hours go by and you haven't activated them yet, they'll despawn and the random cooldown timer will start again.
The Baby Wyvern has a cooldown timer with a random value between 10 and 30 days.
....more creatures will be coming soon! (I have more mods in the works for the more exotic beasts and beings of Daggerfall ;) )

The adorable critters are FREE!!! and there's no huge quest as such to adopt them, you just need to find them and click on them. If you choose not to adopt - the animal is gone for good (can't restart the questpack, you'll have to reload to an earlier save).

Once adopted, your pet will start randomly showing up in dungeons, cities, villages, and hamlets for a couple of in-game hours to explore or help fight... or you can choose to tell them to come back later... or choose to dismiss them and tell them to go and wait indefinitely for you at another safe location in the region.

Each time they appear you can click on them for a pet related activity (message).

Caveats:

Look for them in Cities, not towns (no walls), farmsteads, or inns etc.

Make sure "Enemy infighting" is turned ON in the DFU Advanced>Enhancement screen or they won't be able to help fight.

Unfortunately the game classifies all Companions as "Enemies" so this will impact your ability to Rest in the short time they are with you.

Your pets likely won't attack specific quest enemies, depending on how the quest was written.

There's a chance all of your pets will turn up at the same time, but remember you can dismiss any of them and tell them to go and wait for you someplace else.

Having a lot of companion questpacks installed could impact performance on low spec machines (I'm running pretty much every mod and questpack I can download for Daggerfall and haven't had issues yet, but your mileage may vary).

Occasionally when resting/sleeping, due to the game fast forwarding time and not pausing the rest menu quick enough, when your pet visits you could get a doppelganger pet. Treat this as if your pet brought a friend along.

**If there are any major issues please let me know and I'll do my best to fix asap.**

Installation:

(These are questpacks so should be compatible with any version of Daggerfall Unity)

1. Download the file (also available @ https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/117 )

2. Unzip the file inside StreamingAssets/Questpacks

3. If you're starting a new game, it should start working right away. If you're using it on a game you already started, you'll need to open up the console and type one of the above existing save codes (ONCE ONLY) to get it running. If this doesn't work, your version of DFU might only be able to start quests inside StreamingAssets/Quests from the console, so try moving the contents of the folder to StreamingAssets/Quests and try again.

Updating:

Replace the previous folder (within StreamingAssets/Questpacks) and all files with the new one you downloaded and unzipped.
Make sure all files are overwritten.

Permissions:

Please see imsobadatnicknames's permissions @

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4041

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/113
Attachments
Rat Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Cat Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Last edited by Knightwalker41 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Knightwalker41

Re: Pet Animal Companions

Post by Knightwalker41 »

More Pets!
Attachments
Stinger (Scorpion) Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Spider Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Bat Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by Knightwalker41 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Knightwalker41

Re: Pet Animal Companions

Post by Knightwalker41 »

Even More Pets!

....more creatures will be coming soon! (I have more mods in the works for the more exotic beasts and beings of Daggerfall ;) )
Attachments
Werewolf Cub Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
BabyWyv RARE Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Bear Pet Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by Knightwalker41 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

imsobadatnicknames

Re: [MOD] Pet Animal Companions

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

I really love seeing what you're doing with my quest companion quest template! I'll probably download the tiger and the bear :p
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

imsobadatnicknames wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:15 pm I really love seeing what you're doing with my quest companion quest template! I'll probably download the tiger and the bear :p

An unexpected/hidden feature is that if you are also using Village Immersion Overhaul mod ( https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/7 ) when your pet companions follow you (summon/spawn) into cities the townspeople start to flee! :D

Makes sense though, you're walking around with a tiger/bear/giant spider - I'd flee too :D

I thought it would be nice to have your pets with you while passing through Cities, so I changed a bit of the code there.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Knightwalker41 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 pm
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:15 pm I really love seeing what you're doing with my quest companion quest template! I'll probably download the tiger and the bear :p

An unexpected/hidden feature is that if you are also using Village Immersion Overhaul mod ( https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/7 ) when your pet companions follow you (summon/spawn) into cities the townspeople start to flee! :D

Makes sense though, you're walking around with a tiger/bear/giant spider - I'd flee too :D

I thought it would be nice to have your pets with you while passing through Cities, so I changed a bit of the code there.
That's cool! I love when mods itneract in each other in interesting and immersive ways.

To be quite honest, my only (extremely minor) gripe with this mod is that way too many of them appear at general stores. Maybe you could mix it up a little. E.g. what if instead of finding the bear itself in a store, instead you find a guy at a random fighters guild who's looking for someone to take care of his pet bear because he has to move away and can't take it with him, and when you agree he tells you to go pick up the bear at a certain store/house; or stuff like that :p Just to add a little variety.
Of course, this isn't a big deal, and your mod is just fine as it is right now, so don't feel like I'm telling you you SHOULD change it.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I have some plans for other companions to appear in some of the other types of stores in future mods, so I was left with either General Stores, Clothing Stores, or Pawn shops. I thought the creatures would most likely be in a general store where there was food but I probably could have put the spider and scorpion in a Pawn Shop (old things = cobwebs, maybe?).

It was a bit lazy with the non-existent starting quest, though most of the companion mods for Oblivion and Skyrim (with a few exceptions like Vilja) are just "Do you want this person to be your follower yes/no." I think some of the fun with companions is that they are helping you with whatever quests you are doing, and so the companions story becomes a bigger part of the player's story.

There's a commoner quest (I think it's part of the big Quest Pack 1 mod? one of Jay's?) where you do look after an animal for a while. I had a thought of asking for permission to copy it but... then this mod would have taken a lot longer for me to finish.. and I really wanted it out for everyone to use... and I'm already working on the next ones.... I know - excuses! :P

I promise I'll be less lazy with some of the future ones.... There's going to be another mod where you find a Spriggan/Nymph in a clothing store trying to understand why humans wear clothes and a quest around that, and one with a Harpy/Giant in a Bank being treated as exhibits to show off (owned by a rich merchant) that you have to help out... there's definitely meatier stuff in future... oh and that other companion quest we were talking about too (probably the most work of the planned ones).

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

New version now up! (with thanks to Imsobadatnicknames for coding help)

- Pets catch-up to player now between every 6 hours to 10 days
- Added feature to dismiss them (rather than tell them to come back later) and send them to another location to wait indefinitely for player.
- Made the Baby Wyvern slightly less impossible to find (but still rare)
- New dialogue added
- Misc tweaks/fixes like moving a few of the pets to Pawn Shops.

What Next? I'm going to go back to working on the other planned companion mods, but please yell out if any issues and I'll do my best to fix.

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

I found a bug with the spawning quests that I introduced with the previous update. Please download the new fixed version 1.20 ASAP. Apologies!

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

To make up for the huge bug I found (fixed in v1.20) I have created a Werewolf cub pet companion as a bonus:

Bonus: *Werewolf Cub Pet Companion - found randomly in Alchemist/Herb/Apothecary Stores. (Existing save "startquest WWCUB000") Download on page 1