[Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Magicono43

Re: [Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Post by Magicono43 »

For whatever reason, the somewhat detailed post I just made seems to have gotten eaten and did not submit properly. So i'll try and just summarize it.

It was easier to attach the values I just posted about to real values, I had some initial issues where the values were not updating to what I expected, but quickly realized it was because I was not correctly re-initializing the values when the method was ran again.

The gif I made was just slightly too large to post directly to this post, so instead I compressed it into a .rar bundle for those that would like to see a short showcase of the UI element for the repair service window in action.
Ingot-Cost-UI-Working-Showcase_1.rar
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 142 times

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Regnier wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:50 am Wow really cool.

Thanks for grinding so hard!
Thanks, and no problem, I've mostly really been doing this for myself at this point. You don't really realize how many hours have gone by when you actually have some idea of what you are doing and making decent progress while doing this stuff, time really does just fly right by. Was definitely a better decision for myself to just start editing the code-base directly, the back-end hang-ups were just too demotivating and willpower draining for me compared to this.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So I got the transaction offer window to work with the material requirements for the repair service. And while it does not look pretty, it's probably the best I could really do without it being unreadable at a glance.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (176.54 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (180.42 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Sort of a shopping list sort of deal, which would be very bad if the limit (for now) on material using types goes higher than the current 10 in the game. Was surprisingly not that intuitive to get it to "dynamically" adjust the text-box size, finally used some "AppendTokens" method and if-statement fuckery and got it to work fairly well.

Next I need to work on what happens when you click "Yes", basically checking if you have the required materials in your inventory and hopefully wagon inventory as well. If you don't than have shop keeper offer to use their reserve stock (if they have enough to cover the missing mats) and depending on that make a counter offer for what it will now cost gold-wise to cover the reserve material up-marked price, or if you have the required materials and gold, finish the transaction and put your order into the normal repair que.

I also have to remember to give the player back the material for any individual items they might take out from an already confirmed order, canceling that item's order essentially. In the base game you don't get your gold back, which I think is fair enough, you made the order and canceled it later, costing the shop owner business and screwing up their book-keeping, but I DO want them to give you back your ingot/materials that you gave them though, or what you paid for, so you won't get any gold back for canceling an order, but you will get back the ingots/materials you put in or paid for though.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So I made some good progress today, I was able to get the actual transaction working for when the player is pulling all materials directly from their own inventory. So now materials will be properly removed from the player's main inventory, I.E their backpack first, and then if that runs out of the needed materials it will go directly to their wagon inventory for the rest, if they own a wagon of course.

I am now currently working on the part I was most worried about (mostly because it would likely require more trial and error than the other parts) that being the "reserve inventory" that shops will have. Thankfully, there are plenty of examples in the code already for adding new sections of savedata to the current save-file system, as well as the fact that I did this same exact sort of thing in my "Limited Gold Shops" mod. So it should hopefully be a fairly straight forward process, and i'll most likely add the functionality of my limited gold shops mod in with this feature as well and just tack this all onto each shop/guildhall building that you enter and work in a similar fashion to the LGS mod, just with a few more variables.

I'm currently in the middle of the savedata part and i'm going to continue and hopefully finish on this part tomorrow and if that all works correctly, implement the option to use the shops reserves for the repair order if you can't provide the materials yourself.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Alright, so after a few days of scrapping code and redoing stuff many times, I finally got it all to work out in a smooth fashion, this ones feature at least. So now the repair service feature/shop gold and material stock savedata is now feature complete, just needs to be polished later on when I get the base economy and loot system worked out, but interface and function-wise it is completely done.

Now the repair service may require materials to fix weapons and armor that are damaged beyond a certain condition percentage, the amount required is different based on each weapon and armor type. The shops in question can provide their own materials for a repair order if you can't provide your own, but they charge extra for the material cost. If both you and the shop in question don't have the required material, you won't be able to make the order, and they will tell you by how much is missing to complete the order.

If you sell ingots/materials to a shop, the amount that you sell will be added to their current "reserve" inventory, so they don't just go into the void of the shop-keeper, but they add them to their current stocks. If you cancel an order, you won't get your gold back that you paid (just like in the vanilla game), but you will be given back the amount of material provided for that specific item, including those that you paid for from the shop-keepers stocks. So if you ordered a pair of steel boots to be repaired, and it required 2 steel ingots to fix, if you cancel the order early, you won't get the cost of the order back, but you will be given 2 steel ingots that you paid for, or if you provided them yourself you will get them back.

So as you can see, the idea here is that there is some idea of permanence to the "stocks" of the stores. These ingots don't just disappear, they actually get added to something or used on something when a transaction is made with them. This also includes the now added "Limited Gold Shops" feature that I added along side this, which just gives shops a limited gold supply, so when you buy from a shop, their current gold stock goes up, when you make a repair order, that gold goes into their current stock, when you sell to any of these stores, their gold stock goes down, and you can't sell to them anymore (until their stock is reset based on a timer) or you buy from their either items or services, etc. So gold does not just "disappear" in this instance, it has some degree of permanence, etc. I think you get the idea.

With this all in mind, now that I have this fairly daunting feature complete (it was daunting for me at least), i'm going to start researching/working on the next feature of the game I plan on overhauling. Once again i'm not 100% sure which one I will start next, but i'm currently leaning toward character creation (adding more special traits as well as increasing maximum number allowed per character and more) or possibly starting work on the loot system overhaul. Sorry for no screenshots or anything this time around, was a bit tired after finally getting this part done and most of what I would show would just be dialogue boxes and savedata, so not that interesting to the eyes.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Just a really quick showing of what system i'm now currently working on.
11_Maximum_Disadvantages.JPG
11_Maximum_Disadvantages.JPG (178.96 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
So instead of the normal 7 maximum limit of traits, I increased the maximum to 11 just to see what it would look like, and honestly it's not as bad as I expected, there is still plenty of room to work with on the right side of the box if the font was reduced just slightly.

But yeah, hopefully i'll have something to show by tomorrow of possibly a maximum "limit" of advantages and disadvantage traits to maybe 24 each, I could really make it anything, but trying to fit it nicely into that window would be nice, but 24 for each is probably realistically enough, lol.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So after trying to re-purpose the Advantages/Disadvantages window by trying to take components from the Item Maker UI window and Frankenstein it into the A/D window, both UI elements coded by two to three different people btw. I have found that I think it would be easier to just redo this specific UI window myself from the ground-up, instead of trying to understand multiple different people's way of solving a problem, but I will still use the current A/D window as an example as well as the Item Maker window for the list scroller part. Hopefully going from the ground-up one part at a time will make it more comprehensible for me to do.

After a little bit of frustration bashing my head against this wall for a day or two, I think i'll take a short break from this particular aspect and probably start working on another aspect, in this case most likely the loot system. So i'll hopefully have a progress update on either of this in a few days or so, possibly even some basic spread-sheet if I make decent progress on the loot system, depends on how it goes.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I have not updated this thread in a good few weeks, but don't think that means I have not been making progress during that time, I just have not felt like updating this thread for every little thing. The Github for this project tells a much better story generally as I have been updating that frequently after I had thought my computer died for about 2-3 days. A very short summary would be that I have made very large progress on the reworked loot system and am getting closer and closer to full functionality for this particular system, i'm currently nearly done with the enemy specific loot and will then work on loot-piles in dungeons and probably private property in buildings as well. I still have a lot of work to do in this feature as I plan to add a bunch of new "junk/flavor" items to the item pool for specific purposes in mind that will add more character to loot drops from enemies. Also have to obviously test that everything is working once I get the enemies part done, I expect a lot of "unforeseen" bugs and such, but hopefully not too many, lol.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So after another stretch of no updates on this thread, I may as well break that growing streak early. I have just finished working on the base-line functional parts of the redone loot tables/system for both enemies currently in the game, as well as all the dungeon types currently in the game. While the values and such are by no means final, I think they are close enough to be "good enough" for the time being to continue onto working on other features. I decided not to mess with the private property loot tables for now as i'd like to do some more stuff with them later on when I add in some other future features, so for now they are left as is.

The next thing I want to work on that is very important for the economy rework I have in mind is the actual gold cost/value of all the items currently in the game, and as well as ones I will be adding into the game. This covers basically everything from a simple candle, to a daedric long-sword, to a large boat, to a large house, etc. First off as I do with most of my things, I will be starting this process by making a spreadsheet of all the items currently in the game, and trying to get some sort of range of values that makes sense and is generally on a much lower scale than the vanilla game has with gold price inflation for various items. Once I do this for the vanilla items then I will do the same for the many items I plan on adding as well, and if all goes well I will start actually changing these value numbers on the items and material values and such and actually putting those reworked values into the game and testing how it looks in practice and such.

After this is done, I will likely start wanting to stretch my creative side with pixel-art and start actually creating those new items I keep mentioning and putting them into the general pool with all the other items in the game. But yeah, first step is reworking those value numbers to be more in-line with what I would like to see in the Daggerfall economy.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

looks neat man