[Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Magicono43

Re: [Overhaul Project] Daggerfall Unity Re-imagined

Post by Magicono43 »

daggerdude wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:01 pm looks neat man
Thanks, it has definitely been an interesting experience working on it thus far. Currently got side-tracked making new potions and potion variants when I realized how easy it was to add them, but I planned to do something like this anyway for this overhaul, so it's progress none the less.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Hey, if you have an idea on some sprites you need cooked up, might be able to lend a hand, im in quarantine with covid and im going stir crazy. Gonna try to finish up my shields for the shield module soon too. Just a thought. As far as potions there are so many potion sprites floating around and its fairly easy to manipulate existing sprites, it should be easy.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

daggerdude wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 pm Hey, if you have an idea on some sprites you need cooked up, might be able to lend a hand, im in quarantine with covid and im going stir crazy. Gonna try to finish up my shields for the shield module soon too. Just a thought. As far as potions there are so many potion sprites floating around and its fairly easy to manipulate existing sprites, it should be easy.
Yeah, I have a lot of sprites that i'll eventually want to add for new items. There is a lot of good existing sprites to edit as you said and could potentially have hundreds of variants from those alone with a little bit of effort. I don't like to request assets from people if I don't already have a plan for what they are making, I also quite enjoy the creative process of making sprites myself I have found, even if I suck at it.

But if I have anything specific that I think I can't make look decent, i'll keep that in mind, thanks for the offer!

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So for a few days I was busy being distracted by something I had not expected to be distracted by, that being adding a bunch more potion recipes to the game, 77 to be exact. With these I also made a few changes to potions, the biggest one adding "back labels" that show the effects of the potion in question when you use the "info" mode on a potion.
Potion-Back-Labels-Example_2.png
Potion-Back-Labels-Example_2.png (984.46 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

phantasmald

Post by phantasmald »

Just dropping by to say that I'm pretty hype about your project, the weapon system having more nuance than "bigger number" is very exciting, can't wait to see it finished

Tho I'd argue that the way you distributed damage types between WeaponStates is kinda messy.
Imo you shouldn't separate StrikeDownLeft from StrikeDownRight or at least should do it consistently; for some weapons you did, for some you didn't. I know you treat StrikeDownRight as a 'bash with the hilt' type bludgeoning attack but you should treat StrikeDownLeft the same imo, since it just needlessly confuses things to have the mirror version of the animation behave differently.

Btw, why did you make blunt weapons's secondary type piercing? When I think of blunt weapons like staves I don't see them as weapons capable of impaling someone, they just lack the necessary sharpness; piercing as secondary is more of a sword thing. Maaaaybe maces since they do have sharp protrusions capable of slashing and piercing, but not staves, those are as blunt as it can get. A piercing-blunt weapon would be something like a spear, a sharp edge and firm body.
Speaking of which, have you considered implementing spears, by taking staves as a base? As a more Pierce heavy polearm weapon.

Also, regarding potions: are you gonna make them sellable? Since that's not something they currently are. :B

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

phantasmald wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:49 pm Just dropping by to say that I'm pretty hype about your project, the weapon system having more nuance than "bigger number" is very exciting, can't wait to see it finished

Tho I'd argue that the way you distributed damage types between WeaponStates is kinda messy.
Imo you shouldn't separate StrikeDownLeft from StrikeDownRight or at least should do it consistently; for some weapons you did, for some you didn't. I know you treat StrikeDownRight as a 'bash with the hilt' type bludgeoning attack but you should treat StrikeDownLeft the same imo, since it just needlessly confuses things to have the mirror version of the animation behave differently.

Btw, why did you make blunt weapons's secondary type piercing? When I think of blunt weapons like staves I don't see them as weapons capable of impaling someone, they just lack the necessary sharpness; piercing as secondary is more of a sword thing. Maaaaybe maces since they do have sharp protrusions capable of slashing and piercing, but not staves, those are as blunt as it can get. A piercing-blunt weapon would be something like a spear, a sharp edge and firm body.
Speaking of which, have you considered implementing spears, by taking staves as a base? As a more Pierce heavy polearm weapon.

Also, regarding potions: are you gonna make them sellable? Since that's not something they currently are. :B
Glad to hear you are excited for the project, but just like anything take that with a heavy grain of salt, otherwise it's a lot easier to be disappointed, just like with the moddern AAA gaming industry, lol. Better to be surprised than disappointed, if you know what I mean.

The damage type thing is definitely not in it's "final phase", I still have some work to do with it, and it does look pretty messy at the moment, but I have more plans to refine it better hopefully. Hopefully the "bash with the hilt" thing will be more clear later if I can get a proper animation for the weapons when attacking in that direction to show that.

On the blunt having pierce thing, I mostly did not want blunt to be completely restricted to one damage type, as the damage types are much more important now against some enemies, and I wanted to at least give primarily blunt uses some way to potentially break through the defenses of some of those enemies. Also the fact that the warhammer and mace HUD animations do show a large spike on the end, so I figured it made enough sense in the current state. Sort of the same idea with the staves, figured hitting with a much smaller area with such a small contact area would be at least considered somewhat "piercing", for now at least, like I said not polished system yet by any means.

I might consider adding spears, but that would take a fair amount of work unless I just crammed them in with another weapon skill, which I don't think would make much sense, also they would definitely need some new HUD animation, otherwise it would look very strange, so that's a maybe for the time being.

I am going to allow potions to be sold, I first have to work on the merchant loot tables, which should then give me easy ability to change what stuff can and can't be sold to specific shop types, etc.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So might as well post a small but important change that I just made, I found after some bulk number testing for random material generation, I found that the method I was previously using was not getting me the results I had wanted. That being not enough variety of materials over large numbers of generations, like instead of some representation of all 10 materials over say 100,000 items, I would only ever see 6-7 at most, which was not what I wanted. So I took a lot of thinking and some searching Online to figure out my current method i'm using for this random generation.

Now there is a much much better variation of materials over large numbers of item generations, where all 10 materials have some viable chance of showing up, but the numbers are heavily skewed toward the material distribution values of the region the items are generated in, as well as other factors like enemy level and luck value of the player, which is much closer to what I was wanting to see. Here are a few examples of testing values I had found with the new system, just for some visual fun.
Daggerfall_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG
Daggerfall_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG (58.16 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Abibon-Gora_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG
Abibon-Gora_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG (57.42 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Orsinium_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG
Orsinium_Region_Drop_Test_2.JPG (55.04 KiB) Viewed 2724 times

Obviously these are not perfect, but much closer to what I was hoping for, but will have to see through actual play testing to see how this feels in-game, not just large numbers of generation for the sake of data and spreadsheet collection.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Just a very small thing I changed with the enemy AI, i'm going to be doing more work with this especially later on, but for now little things like this are good practice and fun to mess around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpJ7LcExwM

After i'm done messing with doors, which should not be that long, i'm going to try and change the AI so they try to use potions that they have in their inventory, hopefully it goes well.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is a short show-case of what I just got finished working with (mostly finished at least), now enemies that have potions in their inventory, will actually use them if the situation calls for it. I think the video shows it fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh266qO7cvg

After I get the potions to properly be removed from the enemy inventory after being used, i'm likely going to continue work on some other feature that needs to be touched on, but work continues as always.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Awesome! Love your project!
Looking forward to see it in action. Enemy AI always was a pain. Today I had a tiger following me out into a lake walking on water like jesus. There is so much that needs to be fixed about how the original AI worked. Keep up the great work! :)
In Julianos we Trust.