Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Wilderness Overhaul

Post by Daniel87 »

Hi fellow modders!

I just wanted to introduce you to a very small tweak for Daggerfalls Wilderness I am currently working on.
Do you also think that the wilderness in Daggerfall seems to take Social Distancing a little bit too far?
Usually plants, trees and rocks don't group together and keep their respectful distance from each other, which doesn't really feel "wild" at all.

The idea of my tweak (not sure if it deserves to be called a "mod") was to redistribute the nature billboards for a more believable, dense and natural look. So far I only got to tweaking Temperate Summer/Winter Climate and Mountain Climate. I hope it won't be too taxing on most computers, as I squeeze out the max count of billboards :lol:

Enough words, let the pictures speak for themselves:
Spoiler!
Temperate Climate Summer

Mountain Climate Summer
Let me hear, what you guys think!

Known Issues:
Since it is my first mode, expect some spaghetti code and bugs, such as hovering billboards and a lack of compatibility with other mods such as BasicRoads and Trees of Daggerfall.
Last edited by Daniel87 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Re: Believable Wilderness

Post by King of Worms »

Im looking forward to it since the day u started to investigate the systems 😊

Current distribution of nature sprites is very simplistic so anything more advanced and less arteficial will be really welcomed.

The issue with basic roads in not a serious problem, a plant/tree here and there on the road is ok for me.

Good luck with the development 😊

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Agreed, this would be amazing for outside immersion, especially once coupled with the 3d trees and hd sprites/textures.

I would love to see some really dense forests too. Growing up in the sierra nevada mountain range, Much of beths nature felt kind of fake, until Skyrim and all the nature, weather, lod, and ugrid overhaul mods came out. Then skyrim for the first time felt like a game placed within a natural world that seemed to make sense from everything I know about biology and ecosystems. Would love to see this slowly improved by modders like in Skyrim, so nature feels like a real natural place.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

@King of Worms:
Thank you for the encouragement :D
Coding the night away at 4:40am here in Asia, but can't stop as I really enjoy the progress right now. I hope to finish one biome a day, so I can release the mod ASAP.

@I3lessed:
In that case, check out the Unity Trailer from the Game "Book of the Dead". I've never seen a more believable forest ecosystem than that. The future looks bright for VR Immersion :D
I totally agree - I modded Skyrim to an extend, that it sucked up almost 500GB and crashed for good. After that I knew, I need a break from the game.
I am kind of glad that I found Daggerfall Unity (through a video from Indigo Gaming), as it feels like a sandbox, where I can learn how a Unity game works on the inside.
A big shout-out to our awesome Devs and modders in this workshop! You guys are the best!

I wonder if it is possible to add plants as loot containers for alchemy ingredients via the ITerrainNature class or create an interactive gameObject to open a dialogue for a quest ("This stone circle looks suspicious, do you want to dig in this place?") leading to a map, a treasure, a quest - or the sudden appearance of an enemy. So far I have only worked with the ITerrainNature class.
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

LOLS, exact same thing happened to me, but it was freaken nexus that blew up my 1 year build. I had over 500 mods when you included the merged and smashed mod files I created. One day, it decided to turn off all my esps and reset my skyrim nexus profile, and I never was able to restore it back to a loadable state. Thinking of doing fresh install of LE again and rebuilding. I want to use SE, but I won't without a parallax replacement of some type. Man, if Skyrim SE got modern POM shaders, like minecraft, would that game be stunning visually.

As for your idea for lootable and interactive wildlife and terrain. Please, please yes. Daggerfall nature needs built up in this way, so there are reasons to travel more on foot and explore natural spots more. We need traveling NPCS, both friendly and unfriendly, traveling encampents, maybe even settlements being built/begun with a single house and shop and bunch of unconstructed/unfinished buildings with wandering npcs.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I couldn't put it into words what I wanted but this is it. You have my endorsement. Fuck yes. Look forward to a release.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Mushrooms got something important to discuss...

The idea is, that the player can encounter spots like these and find something there. But first I will have to finish the general wilderness generation for all biomes.
In Julianos we Trust.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Me Me Me !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Farm Life. Now the bordering forest to cities and villages looks more like a forest or thicket/undergrowth
Spoiler!
Day at the beach. Sometimes the random generation creates nice flower fields at the coast. I also added pebbles and sticks to the beach. No more artificial perfect smooth beaches :lol:
Spoiler!
Ready to explore. I feel like exploring the nature has become a bit more fun now. At least once in a while you get a great view.
Spoiler!
Different density of vegetation. What lacks in forest, will compensate in flower fields and bushes. Currently woodlands has 6 possible levels of forest density.
Spoiler!
[/spoiler]

Additionally I set up 5 different heights for woodland, each having its own composition of plants. An example: While the highest level features a loot of needle trees (there is only one needle tree billboard but it gets used excessively :lol:), it's frequency will reduce more and more the close you get to the ocean. Vice versa there are some more tropical looking trees that will be abundant at the shores but get more rare on your way up to the mountains.
All this only in Woodlands right now. Tomorrow I will try a similar approach with the mountains.

For now I consider Woodlands more or less completed.
Stay tuned for the alpine landscapes tomorrow! :)
The journey must go on!
Last edited by Daniel87 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This looks epic